Future of the current Adventure League

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
Rather than the end of AL, it sounds more like "here is way more XP than a couple of adventures should give, just so we can max out your character and force you to retire it and start a new one."

That's actually the game system, not the AL implementation of it. If you cross-reference the XP chart with the 'expected XP per encounter' chart, you find that the expected number of encounters to go up a level actually goes down as you enter tier 3, and stays significantly lower than the tier 2 pace as you get to level 20.

Every edition has had its own way of dealing with high-level play being 'broken' -- AD&D set the XP requirements so high that only the most obsessive players (or those playing in 'Monty Haul' style campaigns) ever saw high-level play. 3E simply abandoned high-level play; the 3.0-edition Epic Level Handbook never got anything but the most rudamentary update for 3.5, and no other officially published WotC source focused on epic-level play (a couple of books included epic-level content, such as Power of Faerun, but they didn't focus on that content). In 4th Edition, the designers simply spent so much time developing material for the level 1-10 tier of characters that no other tier actually seemed very rewarding to play. And in 5E, the design goal appears to be to accelerate you to 20 so that you feel you accomplished something before starting a new game/campaign at level 1.

--
Pauper

I think Tier IV play works well. I played the two Season 5 mods a week ago and they were fine for a first foray. High level characters still have limited HP, AC, spell slots and Saves so there will always be something out there that hits them where they're weak.

If I could make one systemic change for High Level AL play it would be to limit party size to 4 or so.

you know - there is a valid perspective to support the theory, AL has basically told RC's and LC's their services are no longer required, No more certs for Items, Baldman starting to make modules, monetizing AL modules through DM guild, and a host of other small changes, that taken by themselves , mean nothing, but looking at it all together, seems like there is something to be concerned about.

This makes me think of the Mark Twain quote, "The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated."

There have been changes to AL, certainly. Content has been pushed downstream to the DMs Guild. Adjustments to how WotC and AL interact. I was surprised to see such an apparent small amount of Season 6 content announced, but that's an impression based on very little info other than the announcement. The community itself, at least in my area, seems robust and enduring.

Remove ads