New DM needing help with a hook
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 20
  1. #1
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block GiggaLord


    Friend+

    New DM needing help with a hook

    Hello everyone!

    I'm having a little trouble finding a good hook for my campaign, I don't know where to start, so here is what I got so far.

    Two nations, nation A and nation B, have five years prior to the beginning of the campaign been forced to sign a peace treaty by the Archon (Paladin-Pope)
    Very fragile peace treaty, the nations are still at each other's throats.

    PC's find themselves entering a town previously controlled by nation A but during the war was taken over by nation B.
    Majority of the villagers are still loyal to nation A.

    The PC's arrive just a day before the wedding of the Baron's daughter to one of the King of nation B's sons.
    There are people from all around traveling to this town to take part in festivities and of course, trading.

    The day of the wedding, the town is bustling, lots of stuff going on, music, dancing, feasting. More important to notice, there are several people drawing crowds
    spewing hate speech towards nation B and the king of nation B. The crowds seem to be riled up.

    During the wedding, the angry crowds storm the wedding, in the confusion, the King of nation B is murdered, the Baron is wounded, and the Baron's daughter is kidnapped along with the Prince.
    The rebellion of the townsfolk is quelled, but the men seen kidnapping the Prince and daughter were seen fleeing in the direction of the mine just north of town.

    My Problem: I don't have anything that would make the PC's want to go after them. I may just have writer's block at the moment, but I can't think of why anyone there by happenstance would
    want to help.

    Any and all advice is appreciated, and thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Member
    The Great Druid (Lvl 17)



    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NE Ohio, USA
    Posts
    1,787
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    WotC Evacuee

    Block ccs


    Friend+
    The pcs aren't there by happenstance. Each pc is a member of either the King/Barons or prince/brides enterouge.
    They get sent.
    Or they can be ambitious & have the bright idea to size the initiative while the two factions are still screaming at each other and forming a real plan.
    1/2 the party is loyal to faction A, 1/2 loyal to faction B. If there's an odd #? Then that player is conscripted by one of the groups as they know where this mine actually is.

  3. #3
    ..The baron employs the PCs to rescue his daughter and the prince. He does this because he no longer knows who within his own retinue/guard/subjects can be trusted due to their hidden loyalty to country A. He needs the PC's (as independent agents) to rescue the couple because:

    1...he loves his daughter.

    2...to further distance himself from responsibility for the kidnapping (either as an intentional act or due to incompetence).

    3...the next successor to the throne of country B, aside from the prince (maybe an uncle?), is a violent general known for his brutal and homicidal tactics.
    Last edited by was; Wednesday, 22nd February, 2017 at 02:10 AM.

  4. #4
    You're all in a Tavern having a drink and chatting... when suddenly...


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Laugh Imaculata laughed with this post

  5. #5
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block GiggaLord


    Friend+
    I really appreciate the replies, I was having a real brain dead moment. Thanks so much for all the help

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by GiggaLord View Post
    I really appreciate the replies, I was having a real brain dead moment. Thanks so much for all the help
    The tavern idea is gold.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member
    Superhero (Lvl 15)



    Join Date
    Sep 2015
    Location
    The Emerald Coast
    Posts
    1,177
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    WotC Evacuee

    Block Imaculata


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by GiggaLord View Post
    The PC's arrive just a day before the wedding of the Baron's daughter to one of the King of nation B's sons.
    There are people from all around traveling to this town to take part in festivities and of course, trading.

    The day of the wedding, the town is bustling, lots of stuff going on, music, dancing, feasting. More important to notice, there are several people drawing crowds
    spewing hate speech towards nation B and the king of nation B. The crowds seem to be riled up.
    It would seem most logical to me that this is where the session would start. The Baron is most likely someone who is an ally to the players (at least for now), either because of their relation to him, or because he has hired them for his daughter's security.

    Quote Originally Posted by GiggaLord View Post
    During the wedding, the angry crowds storm the wedding, in the confusion, the King of nation B is murdered,
    Is he? Maybe he is, or maybe he isn't. I would leave this up to the players. The attack on his life will certainly have a negative impact on the fragile peace between the two countries, and the outcome will obviously be worse if he dies. But I wouldn't force him to always die.

    Quote Originally Posted by GiggaLord View Post
    the Baron is wounded, and the Baron's daughter is kidnapped along with the Prince.
    Again, I would let the outcome of these events be determined by the actions of the players. Maybe the daughter isn't kidnapped, because the players try to keep her safe? Maybe the Baron isn't wounded, but killed, because the players fail to come to his aid? Maybe, plot twist, the daughter is trying to get kidnapped on purpose!

    Quote Originally Posted by GiggaLord View Post
    The rebellion of the townsfolk is quelled, but the men seen kidnapping the Prince and daughter were seen fleeing in the direction of the mine just north of town.
    This seems a bit convenient. I would work out come alternate scenarios in which this could play out. What if the players manage to prevent the kidnapping?

    The most important thing I think you should focus on, is just getting the party together, and getting them to stay together, and work as a team. The Baron could be an essential npc for this.

  8. #8
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Hand of Evil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    Cookie Jar
    Posts
    14,415
    Reviews
    Read 13 Reviews
    13th AgeZEITGEISTGen ConENniesO.G.R.E.I Defended The Walls!

    Block Hand of Evil


    Friend+
    Need a lot more information of the nations and the setting. But..

    Where do you want the game to be going? Then ask the player why they are there? Their answers may give you a hook. Maybe one or more are related to some one, like side A or side B or side C (the kidnappers), you then run with it. Example: Why is the sister of the party paladin kidnapping someone?

    Side C can easily be warmongers from both sides that have been profiting from the war and have joined forces to keep the war going. They could be merchants or disgraced family members of A & B or Drow of the underdark or freedom fighters from both sides that know a "truth".
    Last edited by Hand of Evil; Wednesday, 22nd February, 2017 at 04:36 PM.

  9. #9
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block GiggaLord


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Imaculata View Post
    It would seem most logical to me that this is where the session would start. The Baron is most likely someone who is an ally to the players (at least for now), either because of their relation to him, or because he has hired them for his daughter's security.



    Is he? Maybe he is, or maybe he isn't. I would leave this up to the players. The attack on his life will certainly have a negative impact on the fragile peace between the two countries, and the outcome will obviously be worse if he dies. But I wouldn't force him to always die.



    Again, I would let the outcome of these events be determined by the actions of the players. Maybe the daughter isn't kidnapped, because the players try to keep her safe? Maybe the Baron isn't wounded, but killed, because the players fail to come to his aid? Maybe, plot twist, the daughter is trying to get kidnapped on purpose!



    This seems a bit convenient. I would work out come alternate scenarios in which this could play out. What if the players manage to prevent the kidnapping?

    The most important thing I think you should focus on, is just getting the party together, and getting them to stay together, and work as a team. The Baron could be an essential npc for this.
    Noted, and thank you very much. I've drawn out other possible scenarios based on PC interaction with the event. I realize now that I was railroading a bit.
    XP Imaculata gave XP for this post

  10. #10
    Member
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    Fort Smith, Arkansas
    Posts
    7
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block GiggaLord


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Hand of Evil View Post
    Need a lot more information of the nations and the setting. But..

    Where do you want the game to be going? Then ask the player why they are there? Their answers may give you a hook. Maybe one or more are related to some one, like side A or side B or side C (the kidnappers), you then run with it. Example: Why is the sister of the party paladin kidnapping someone?

    Side C can easily be warmongers from both sides that have been profiting from the war and have joined forces to keep the war going. They could be merchants or disgraced family members of A & B or Drow of the underdark or freedom fighters from both sides that know a "truth".
    The war between nations A and B had to do with the denial of a trade agreement on nation A's part.
    Nation A is based loosely off of medieval France and Germany, whilst nation B is based on Medieval UK.
    Medieval, High Fantasy setting, in this time period, one of the main controlling forces is the Archon (Catholic Church)

    Anything more you need?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. When Crafting Magic Items, Not Needing a Body Slot Costs More. Would Needing Most of Them Cost Less?
    By a-d in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Thursday, 17th October, 2013, 09:58 PM
  2. Needing Help with a Name for a New Rule
    By Jraynack in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Sunday, 26th July, 2009, 07:32 PM
  3. Needing Help
    By A Powerful Necromanc in forum Pathfinder, Starfinder, Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, OSR
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Friday, 20th March, 2009, 12:08 AM
  4. needing help with dye.
    By Tranzquility in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: Monday, 15th November, 2004, 09:40 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •