5E Unearthed Arcana Mass Combat
+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 145
  1. #1
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    705
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Raunalyn


    Friend+

    Unearthed Arcana Mass Combat

    This week's Unearthed Arcana, a day later than usual, introduces some new mass combat rues to 5E. "This week Unearthed Arcana switches gears, going from character options to a rules option for the DM: mass combat. Weve touched on mass combat before in this column and have created these new rules after receiving your feedback. Please give the new rules a read, try them out in play, and let us know what you think".

    Name:  Screen Shot 2017-02-21 at 20.02.35.png
Views: 13884
Size:  1.21 MB

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunalyn View Post
    http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...at_MCUA_v1.pdf

    I wasn't expecting an article today...looks like a rehash of the old Mass Combat rules.

    I was really hoping for the Mystic....
    Pretty radically different from the previous attempt, much more abstract and fast paced; which is good, because it has been gestating for two years!
    @mearls has been talking up various DM options in the works; looks like those will get the exposure for a little bit, now.

    Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app
    XP darjr gave XP for this post

  3. #3
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    705
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Raunalyn


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Parmandur View Post
    Pretty radically different from the previous attempt, much more abstract and fast paced; which is good, because it has been gestating for two years!
    @mearls has been talking up various DM options in the works; looks like those will get the exposure for a little bit, now.

    Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app
    I'm not sure I like the opposed rolls for determining combat; seems a bit swingy to me and adds too many die rolls. I'm sure there's probably a way to simplify it.

    I do like the concepts they are laying out, though.

  4. #4
    Member
    Spellbinder (Lvl 16)

    Leatherhead's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Sacramento California
    Posts
    1,844
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block Leatherhead


    Friend+
    Looks like I was right, they did push some rules for running warlords, just not the warlord class.
    Laugh Giltonio_Santos, pukunui, oknazevad laughed with this post

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunalyn View Post
    I'm not sure I like the opposed rolls for determining combat; seems a bit swingy to me and adds too many die rolls. I'm sure there's probably a way to simplify it.

    I do like the concepts they are laying out, though.
    Think they are going for quick and swingy; also gives more opportunity for a PC cutscene to decide the battle, ala Conan in the Black Colossus...

    Their previous attempt was called Battlesystem, and seemed like the AD&D mass combat; this seems to step away from that...

    Sent from my BLU LIFE XL using EN World mobile app

  6. #6
    Member
    Greater Elemental (Lvl 23)



    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    7,031
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Block FormerlyHemlock


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Raunalyn View Post
    http://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/do...at_MCUA_v1.pdf

    I wasn't expecting an article today...looks like a rehash of the old Mass Combat rules.

    I was really hoping for the Mystic....
    I've only skimmed the document, but I like the direction they're going on with the higher level of abstraction and the morale checks. The only purpose of a specialized mass combat system is to resolve things more simply than the regular combat system is when you scale it up to thousands of units; when it comes to a huge battle, a DM will always have the choice between resolving it realistically in painstaking detail ("these dragons beat these slaads, and I think these orcs would run away instead of engaging the dragons, and these mind flayers would ambush the dragon as it's going through this narrow defile, and...") or making a few rolls, ideally rolls which can be influenced by players in ways that are meaningful to them ("we just beat those mind flayers, in a very public way, so all our guys get +5 to morale!").

    So I like the direction. There's a part of me that thinks one-minue rounds are too short for this, and that ten-minute rounds would be better, but it depends a lot on the scale of the combat. I'll read it more thoroughly later, but I like the direction. Unlike the last Mass Combat rules, these rules actually have a reason for existing, and I could imagine using them in some scenarios where I don't care much about detail.
    XP Hathorym gave XP for this post

  7. #7
    Member
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)



    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    705
    Reviews
    Read 1 Reviews

    Block Raunalyn


    Friend+
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemlock View Post
    I've only skimmed the document, but I like the direction they're going on with the higher level of abstraction and the morale checks. The only purpose of a specialized mass combat system is to resolve things more simply than the regular combat system is when you scale it up to thousands of units; when it comes to a huge battle, a DM will always have the choice between resolving it realistically in painstaking detail ("these dragons beat these slaads, and I think these orcs would run away instead of engaging the dragons, and these mind flayers would ambush the dragon as it's going through this narrow defile, and...") or making a few rolls, ideally rolls which can be influenced by players in ways that are meaningful to them ("we just beat those mind flayers, in a very public way, so all our guys get +5 to morale!").

    So I like the direction. There's a part of me that thinks one-minue rounds are too short for this, and that ten-minute rounds would be better, but it depends a lot on the scale of the combat. I'll read it more thoroughly later, but I like the direction. Unlike the last Mass Combat rules, these rules actually have a reason for existing, and I could imagine using them in some scenarios where I don't care much about detail.
    I was thinking the exact same thing regarding the one-minute rounds. Mass combat moves on a MUCH slower scale; one minute really isn't a lot of time.
    XP FormerlyHemlock gave XP for this post

  8. #8
    I'm planning on having a massive Neogi force attack the city in a few weeks... this should make everything a lot easier.

  9. #9
    At least this one acknowledges that there can be cavalry in units, and it scales much better than the previous version which was more for just skirmishes.

    It's better that it's more abstracted.

    It might fall apart in dealing with situations like units vs 1 large powerful creature like a dragon.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Kobold Avenger View Post
    At least this one acknowledges that there can be cavalry in units, and it scales much better than the previous version which was more for just skirmishes.

    It's better that it's more abstracted.

    It might fall apart in dealing with situations like units vs 1 large powerful creature like a dragon.
    In the case of a dragon, I think you'd treat it like they treat PC's (as suggested in the last sidebar). In other words, you'd use standard combat rules: dragon versus mob (using mob rules from DMG).

    AD

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 15 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Similar Threads

  1. Unearthed Arcana - Mass Combat Rules
    By JTorres in forum D&D 5th Edition News, Rules, Homebrews, and House Rules
    Replies: 89
    Last Post: Tuesday, 26th May, 2015, 01:32 AM
  2. Unearthed Arcana: Combat Velocity
    By Klaus in forum Older D&D Editions (4E, 3.x, 2E, 1E, OD&D), D&D Variants, and OSR Gaming
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Friday, 3rd June, 2011, 07:30 AM
  3. Will Unearthed Arcana have a non-miniatures/grid combat system?
    By Jody Butt in forum Roleplaying Games General Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: Saturday, 20th December, 2003, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •