D&D 5E Can't Touch This (Eldritch Blast, Shilleilagh, Polearm Mastery, Sentinel Build)

Tainted Powers

First Post
Hello All!

I have read several builds that utilize Sentinel + Polearm Master feat. Also found a few where some people tried to combine Polearm Master and Eldritch Blast (Repelling Blast), but as it was stated the Opportunity Attack granted by PM has to be with a weapon the feat uses. I was looking into possibilities on how to combine these still and might have found a solution. I am using the Core Books, Sword Coast Adventurer Guide and Elemental Evil.

I have a Google Sheet with a breakdown of the lvl by lvl progression. I used Human Variant, and only changed the starting equipment of the fighter from Chain Mail to Scale mail. Since they cost the same I saw no reason why not to start with Scale Mail.

To clear up a few points up front:

Polearm Master, Shield and Quarterstaff. You can use a shield and use a Quarterstaff and still gain the Bonus attack thanks to Polarm Master. Not sure about the reach. I am going with it doesn't have a 10 ft reach as you wont be wielding it in two hands, and there is no reach in the description of the weapon anyway.

PHB Errata: "Pact of the Tome (p. 108). The cantrips are considered warlock spells for you, and they needn’t be from the same spell list" Shilleilagh uses your CHA modifier for attacks and DMG rolls.

"Sentinel (p. 169). Ignore “within 5 feet of you” in the second benefit."

Damage for the Bonus attack with Polearm Master. I have to admit there will never be direct answer to if you use Shilleilagh then you can add your Ability modifier to the DMG of the bonus attack, but I think if you can add your STR then you should be able to add WIS, or CHA mod in this instance.

Also I can't find the source but it has been cleared up that the Opportunity Attack granted by Polearm Master has to be with a weapon the feat describes. Which is perfectly fine.

Now onto the Build!

LVL1: Fighter. Need to start with this as you need proficiency in medium armour and shields. Also I took the Defence fighting style but you can take Dueling if you prefer DMG over protection. At this point I would suggest any finesse weapon or a hand crossbow. Also take Warcaster as I think it is the best to start with for this build, you get the most out of that feat at early lvls. AC 19 is very good to start with too. :)

LVL2-LVL4 Warlock. I took GOO for patron because I just don't like being a servant of Demon or Devil, even though it is better for combat. LVL 2 take Eldritch Blast obvious, you can probably start using it at this lvl, definitely from LVL3 as you get Agonising Blast, and Repelling Blast. LVL4 we take Tome Pact and get Shilleilagh. You use your CHA mod for attack and DMG, by LVL4 we are pretty tanky and we have good DMG. Depending on situation you can blast from afar of go melee. You are good at both. Don't forget to Hex your opponents!

LVL5. Here is where things start to get interesting. Take Polearm Master. At this point you can get an Opportunity Attack +5 (D8+3) (reaction) your Attack action with +5 (D8+3 DMG) and Bonus Attack +5 (D4+3), and if all hit extra 3D6 DMG per hit if you have Hex up. Thanks to Warcaster, your 19 AC, and Proff in CON I doubt you will lose concentration on your spells. Not too shabby! ;)

LVL6. Sorcerer (Storm). This is where we start to get OP. Depending on what kind of an opponent you are facing you have a lot of possibilities in combat. Few examples:
1. Melee Fight. Enemy gets in range AO thanks to Polearm Master. If you feel confident you wont get hit (AC 19 Remember ;)) then you can stay in melee range and pound your opponent with your Attack and Bonus Attack.
2. If option 1 turns out to be a bad decision you can cast Shield on your turn (AC 24 till the start of your next turn) AND fly 10 feet away using your bonus action without provoking opportunity attacks thanks to Tempestuous Magic (I really love this feature!). Then blast your enemy with Eldritch Blast. With Repelling Blast if you hit with both you push him back 20 feet. He is now 30 feet from you. In any case you still have your movement left so you can go further away up to another 30 feet. If he has a speed of 30ft and even if you don't hit him not once he cant get close enough to make an attack. If you do hit him then even better. Kite away my friends!
3. Start from afar and only use EB and just simply don't allow him to get close. Bit boring but effective.
4. Ranged enemy. Most ranged weapons don't have a range of 120 like your EB (Longbow is the only exception 150ft.), then just stay out of their range the same way and they have disadvantage on attacks against your AC 19 (+Shield 24). Good luck to any enemy without sharpshooter feat. :)

This would be the base of the build.

LVL 7-11. We max out CHA for maximum hit chance and DMG, gain Action Surge, Extra Attack. But we will be most likely using the same tactics as above.

LVL 12-13. There are several other options to play with when you get War Magic. You can probably handle any melee combat, but if things get difficult you can always go for Blade Ward cantrip and still get an attack, also still have Shield if you just simply don't like getting hit :D. But we arrive to LVL13. Sentinel Feat. So when an enemy tries to get close you use your reaction to make an attack and deny him to get closer if you hit (+10 to attack is the best you can hope for so most of the times it will work). Then just Blast him with EB three times and move as far as you need to be out of reach of his move speed. Rinse and repeat!

LVL13-20. You become better at all the above. Adding Spell Sniper and Shield Master for added tactical options. And of course Metamagic (Quickened Spell, Twinned Spell). Having Action Surge for melee nova and Quickened Spell for Double Eldritch Blast.

In short this build gives you a lot of tactical options when in combat. If you fully understand and know what your actions, reactions and bonus actions are you can put together the best combination for almost any situation.

For obvious reasons I gave this build the "Can't Touch This" name. :)

Hoping that you all can help me if I missed something, or if I got something wrong, to make this build more solid and fun to play!
[FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][FONT=Bookmania,Bookmania][/FONT][/FONT]

zaratan

First Post
The AoO from PAM need to be made with the weapon, so you can't use eldritch blast for that, but can use booming blade, but booming blade has 5 feet reach, so you need spell sniper if you want to reach at 10, but isn't the case. Maybe your dm have a different house rule about PAM + warcaster, good for you in that case. But in sage advice need to be with the weapon.
Other problem with eldritch blast with shield and quarterstaff, somatic and material components, you can avoid the somatic with warcaster, but not the material. You need to drop your quarterstaff to get your bag, if you drop the quarterstaff, shillelagh stop to work.
Unless your dm allow to use a quarterstaff as arcane staff.

Dissonant whisspers from great old one is great with warcaster. You can cast it and them hit a auto triggered booming blade with your reaction. Or eldritch blast, but with desadvantage because of the melee range.

You will start with 20 in Cha? Because with all those feats, you can't bump that important thing. Shield master isn't that useful since you already have to many options for your bonus action.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Damage for the Bonus attack with Polearm Master. I have to admit there will never be direct answer to if you use Shilleilagh then you can add your Ability modifier to the DMG of the bonus attack, but I think if you can add your STR then you should be able to add WIS, or CHA mod in this instance.

You always add your appropriate ability score modifier to weapon damage unless it says otherwise. Dual wielding is the exception in that you don't add it, not the general rule. So yes, you add in your Shillelagh spellcasting stat (CHR in your case).

LVL1: Fighter.

Another good thing starting Fighter gives you is proficiency in CON saves. Between that and Warcaster you are great at making low level concentration saves. Important to keep your long-lasting Hex up.

LVL2-LVL4 Warlock. ... LVL4 we take Tome Pact and get Shilleilagh. You use your CHA mod for attack and DMG, by LVL4 we are pretty tanky and we have good DMG. Depending on situation you can blast from afar of go melee. You are good at both. Don't forget to Hex your opponents!

Level 2 & 3 I'm assuming you use a finesse weapon with your +2 DEX mod - not fantastic, but not bad. You could also enhance it with the SCAG cantrips. Level 4 gets you shillelagh so you can switch to +3 CHR. But as most others had an ASI at 4th the standard is now +4 primary ability, so you're still trailing a bit. Note that Hex has M components (which aren't covered by Warcaster), so you'll have to cast it before unsheathing your weapon (a free action once a turn).

Note that the SCAG cantrips are not the Attack action so don't trigger polearm master's bonus action attack.

You have a bit of a bonus action economy conflict - first round you want to cast both Shillelagh and Hex. Rounds you need to change your Hex will also take the bonus action. Any of those rounds you will not be able to get your polearm master bonus attack. (So you might as well attack with a SCAG cantrip.)

Your HPs lags a straight front-liner probably by 3-7 HPs (all d10s, maybe a 16 CON if going heavy armor and dumping Dex). That's about half a level behind, or one less hit.

Oh, I assume you'd have enough somewhere in here to upgrade to Half Plate, bringing your AC to 20.

LVL5. Here is where things start to get interesting. Take Polearm Master. At this point you can get an Opportunity Attack +5 (D8+3) (reaction) your Attack action with +5 (D8+3 DMG) and Bonus Attack +5 (D4+3), and if all hit extra 3D6 DMG per hit if you have Hex up. Thanks to Warcaster, your 19 AC, and Proff in CON I doubt you will lose concentration on your spells. Not too shabby!

I wouldn't assume that your reaction attack happens every round, and defnitely not that if the OA attack goes off it's against your Hexed target. Remember, Hex does not add d6 damage to your attacks - it adds it to your attacks against a specific foe and you can't change it until they are dead, and then it takes a bonus action.

Compared to martial characters they are getting extra attack, so they also have two attacks, though usually higher weapon damage die then d8 & d4, still with +1 hit & damage over this build from a +4 modifier. Also possible they are going for polearm master or dual wielding and have 3 attacks, but they they still have +3 mod.

Hex is taking up one of your two spell slots, but you do have EB. EB is two beams at d10+3, or d10+d6+3 with hex - better than archery without feats. You have good flexibility.

LVL6. Sorcerer (Storm). This is where we start to get OP. Depending on what kind of an opponent you are facing you have a lot of possibilities in combat. Few examples:
1. Melee Fight. Enemy gets in range AO thanks to Polearm Master. If you feel confident you wont get hit (AC 19 Remember ;)) then you can stay in melee range and pound your opponent with your Attack and Bonus Attack.
2. If option 1 turns out to be a bad decision you can cast Shield on your turn (AC 24 till the start of your next turn) AND fly 10 feet away using your bonus action without provoking opportunity attacks thanks to Tempestuous Magic (I really love this feature!). Then blast your enemy with Eldritch Blast. With Repelling Blast if you hit with both you push him back 20 feet. He is now 30 feet from you. In any case you still have your movement left so you can go further away up to another 30 feet. If he has a speed of 30ft and even if you don't hit him not once he cant get close enough to make an attack. If you do hit him then even better. Kite away my friends!
3. Start from afar and only use EB and just simply don't allow him to get close. Bit boring but effective.
4. Ranged enemy. Most ranged weapons don't have a range of 120 like your EB (Longbow is the only exception 150ft.), then just stay out of their range the same way and they have disadvantage on attacks against your AC 19 (+Shield 24). Good luck to any enemy without sharpshooter feat.

This would be the base of the build.

1. Not bad, not as good as a martial character as described above.

2. You can only cast Shield as a reaction when hit, so you can't cast with to trigger your flight. Luckily Warcaster does let you cast the S components with weapon or shield so you are good.

Also, at this point the build have two 1st level slots that recharge on a long rest, and two 2nd level slots that recharge on a short rest. Hex is coming from some of these slots. You can do this, but not too often.

Shield is a reaction, so it's getting in the way of a polearm master opportunity attack if they close with you. Against single opponents and no restrictions on movement you are good, but if you mis a repelling blast or there are multiple opponents or limits on how you can move it may nto keep them out of melee range.

(Also the move from Tempestuous Magic is a bonus action so you couldn't get a polearm master extra attack, but you weren't planning to so that's moot.)

LVL 7-11. We max out CHA for maximum hit chance and DMG, gain Action Surge, Extra Attack. But we will be most likely using the same tactics as above.

Nice and strong. 20 CHR helps in so many places. And at 10th you are finally getting extra attack which is a big boost. Most classes get a second boost at 11th.

At 11th you have slots as a 3rd level caster plus two 2nd level slots that recharge on short rest, know 1st level sorcerer spells, 1st level limited wizard spells, and 1st & 2nd level warlock spells. That's pretty low on the casting department, but for utility it's all good.

LVL 12-13. There are several other options to play with when you get War Magic. You can probably handle any melee combat, but if things get difficult you can always go for Blade Ward cantrip and still get an attack, also still have Shield if you just simply don't like getting hit :D.

War Magic isn't as strong for you because you already had a bonus action attack (though only with an Attack action). Not useless, id d8 instead of d4 base weapon damage. You could EB, move in and attack with your quarterstaff.

But we arrive to LVL13. Sentinel Feat. So when an enemy tries to get close you use your reaction to make an attack and deny him to get closer if you hit (+10 to attack is the best you can hope for so most of the times it will work). Then just Blast him with EB three times and move as far as you need to be out of reach of his move speed. Rinse and repeat!

Note sure how Sentinel gives you this. None of them stop someone from walking up to you and attacking. Or are you talking about using polearm master to hit him, and then on your turn use EB+Repelling blast to knock him away? They would still be ablet o close and attack the first time, and the sentinel speed reduction is only that round. Repelling Blast+Move is a good idea for kiting one or a few opponents but I don't see how Sentinel helps.

LVL13-20. You become better at all the above. Adding Spell Sniper and Shield Master for added tactical options. And of course Metamagic (Quickened Spell, Twinned Spell). Having Action Surge for melee nova and Quickened Spell for Double Eldritch Blast.

You do become better at all of the above, but not at the rate other classes are improving. At the end you'll have 4th level slots, and 2nd level spells known (Sorc, limited Wiz, and Warlock), compared to a pure caster with 9th level spells slots and casting. Nothing really to take advantage of your Eldritch Strike ability or of you metamagic. Actually I can't see much use for your metamagic - Hex can't twin and it's probably your go-to concentration spell, so you're looking at non-concentration spells to twin, and 2nd level know doesn't give you good selection. Quickened will copete against all of the bonus action economy including War Magic.

You'll have some great combos against single/few melee combatants and a decent AC + shield against missiles but maybe not against the foes of this level. Very good HPs and indomitable will help against spells. You will have Extra Attack (3) at 16th, so you're good at going up and hitting things, but with a weapon that doesn't qualify for Great Weapon Mastery or Sharpshooter I don't think your damage will keep up with the foes at this level, even when you add in d6 for Hex.

To sum it up, this looks fun but I think you are overestimating some of the theoretical. Multiple opponents seem to be an unaddressed weakness. The action economy starts to break down with too many bonus actions or reactions needed. Casting remains enemic for all the effort put into it.

EB remains strong, especially EB kiting with repelling blast. But that would just need warlock 2 and any other 20 CHR combo. Tempestuous Magic is a nice addition to it for kiting though it would involve casting some other spell since EB won't trigger it, and it's a good number of levels before you start having a good number of extra spells to cast. That said, you also have Misty Step to help move when you are engaged. (Though again that hits yoru bonus action economy.)

With so many feats perhaps instead you'd like to increase CON both for more HPs but also to improve your concentration saves as damage goes up.

Tainted Powers

First Post
The AoO from PAM need to be made with the weapon, so you can't use eldritch blast for that, but can use booming blade, but booming blade has 5 feet reach, so you need spell sniper if you want to reach at 10, but isn't the case. Maybe your dm have a different house rule about PAM + warcaster, good for you in that case. But in sage advice need to be with the weapon.

I know it can't use EB. Or any other spell. I did state this two times in my original post. Might try to convince my DM though. Would be interesting to play! :)

Other problem with eldritch blast with shield and quarterstaff, somatic and material components, you can avoid the somatic with warcaster, but not the material. You need to drop your quarterstaff to get your bag, if you drop the quarterstaff, shillelagh stop to work.
Unless your dm allow to use a quarterstaff as arcane staff.

That would solve this problem indeed! Is this possible? Can you use your Quarterstaff as an arcane focus? I see no reason why not. ;)

Dissonant whisspers from great old one is great with warcaster. You can cast it and them hit a auto triggered booming blade with your reaction. Or eldritch blast, but with desadvantage because of the melee range.

I don't see how this would work, even though I find it a good idea. Both of the spells require an action, so this would be a two round combo at least. Also Booming Blade spell states that the creature was to be willingly moving, and with the spell you are forcing someone to move.

You will start with 20 in Cha? Because with all those feats, you can't bump that important thing. Shield master isn't that useful since you already have to many options for your bonus action.

Cha will start at 16. By LVL 11 you will have it maxed out. Shield Master I took up for added fun and basically for the improved Dex save. (I am increasingly afraid of the big bad Red Dragon that I am sure my DM would throw against us ;) )

zaratan

First Post
I know it can't use EB. Or any other spell. I did state this two times in my original post. Might try to convince my DM though. Would be interesting to play! :)

That would solve this problem indeed! Is this possible? Can you use your Quarterstaff as an arcane focus? I see no reason why not. ;)

I don't see how this would work, even though I find it a good idea. Both of the spells require an action, so this would be a two round combo at least. Also Booming Blade spell states that the creature was to be willingly moving, and with the spell you are forcing someone to move.

Cha will start at 16. By LVL 11 you will have it maxed out. Shield Master I took up for added fun and basically for the improved Dex save. (I am increasingly afraid of the big bad Red Dragon that I am sure my DM would throw against us ;) )

Well, quarterstafd isn't arcane focus RAW, isn't a "staff". But there is a lot of magical quarterstaffs that work as staff in DMG. This would be a problem with shillelagh too, you'll necer be able to get a magic weapon and use shillelagh on it.

About the dissonant whissper + bb, you'll use your action to cast dissonant whispper. He state that the target don't handle with the noise and move by himself (using his reaction), you will use your reaction to hit it with a AoO, that can be a BB if you have warcaster.
Dissonant whispper movement by RAW is "willingly" sinse the target moved by himself because of the noise, isn't like command ou repealling blast. Same thing with fear spell.

Tainted Powers

First Post
You always add your appropriate ability score modifier to weapon damage unless it says otherwise. Dual wielding is the exception in that you don't add it, not the general rule. So yes, you add in your Shillelagh spellcasting stat (CHR in your case).

Haha! Good to know! Thanks. :)

Level 2 & 3 I'm assuming you use a finesse weapon with your +2 DEX mod - not fantastic, but not bad. You could also enhance it with the SCAG cantrips. Level 4 gets you shillelagh so you can switch to +3 CHR. But as most others had an ASI at 4th the standard is now +4 primary ability, so you're still trailing a bit. Note that Hex has M components (which aren't covered by Warcaster), so you'll have to cast it before unsheathing your weapon (a free action once a turn).

Note that the SCAG cantrips are not the Attack action so don't trigger polearm master's bonus action attack.

I wasn't going for a min-max character. Those are easy to make and also someone has probably already posted about them. I like making concept characters. :)
But yes, indeed, you are correct at the first few levels its all about survival. Again yes, a finesse weapon would be used till LVL3. From then EB.

You have a bit of a bonus action economy conflict - first round you want to cast both Shillelagh and Hex. Rounds you need to change your Hex will also take the bonus action. Any of those rounds you will not be able to get your polearm master bonus attack. (So you might as well attack with a SCAG cantrip.)

Hmmm... very true. I don't suppose it is possible to cast them both in one round? After casting a Bonus Action Spell you can cast a cantrip "with a casting time o f 1 action" as it says in the PHB 202. I don't really understand why you can't cast a Bonus Action Cantrip but you can cast any 1 action cantrip that would take LONGER to cast. But I guess those are the rules. Even is they make no sense to me. I will have to go with Shillelagh + SCAG cantrip on first round, and then Hex + SCAG cantrip second round, and then ound away. Thanks for the insight!

Your HPs lags a straight front-liner probably by 3-7 HPs (all d10s, maybe a 16 CON if going heavy armor and dumping Dex). That's about half a level behind, or one less hit.

Oh, I assume you'd have enough somewhere in here to upgrade to Half Plate, bringing your AC to 20.

Aye not the best HP throughout the progress, but as you say at about LVL 4 you could probably afford a Half Plate and with a 20 AC I am hoping not to get hit much. I did correct the sheet btw, thanks. :)

2. You can only cast Shield as a reaction when hit, so you can't cast with to trigger your flight. Luckily Warcaster does let you cast the S components with weapon or shield so you are good.

Aye missed this little detail :( Thanks for pointing it out.

Shield is a reaction, so it's getting in the way of a polearm master opportunity attack if they close with you. Against single opponents and no restrictions on movement you are good, but if you mis a repelling blast or there are multiple opponents or limits on how you can move it may nto keep them out of melee range.

(Also the move from Tempestuous Magic is a bonus action so you couldn't get a polearm master extra attack, but you weren't planning to so that's moot.)

Spot on! I was going for a dualist that can lock down one opponent. In a crowded fight there are definitely more effective builds then this.

Nice and strong. 20 CHR helps in so many places. And at 10th you are finally getting extra attack which is a big boost. Most classes get a second boost at 11th.

At 11th you have slots as a 3rd level caster plus two 2nd level slots that recharge on short rest, know 1st level sorcerer spells, 1st level limited wizard spells, and 1st & 2nd level warlock spells. That's pretty low on the casting department, but for utility it's all good.

Yep. About LVL 11 is when this build comes online. In regards to spells I went with defence and utility spells as this build is faaar from being a real caster build.

Note sure how Sentinel gives you this. None of them stop someone from walking up to you and attacking. Or are you talking about using polearm master to hit him, and then on your turn use EB+Repelling blast to knock him away? They would still be ablet o close and attack the first time, and the sentinel speed reduction is only that round. Repelling Blast+Move is a good idea for kiting one or a few opponents but I don't see how Sentinel helps.

Ahha! It looks like I possibly understood sentinel incorrectly. When you use the OA from Polearm Master and hit that doesn't mean that your opponent will get stopped outside your reach. Makes sense as you probably need your opponent to be within 5 feet in order to attack him. :D
Donno how I got that so wrong. Thanks again for pointing it out.
So with a Spear with a reach of 10 feat it would stop an enemy 5 feat from you if you hit with an OA and then on your turn you could blast the fool with EB without disadvantage. But then no shield and only 18 AC. Hmmm meditate on this I will.

You do become better at all of the above, but not at the rate other classes are improving. At the end you'll have 4th level slots, and 2nd level spells known (Sorc, limited Wiz, and Warlock), compared to a pure caster with 9th level spells slots and casting. Nothing really to take advantage of your Eldritch Strike ability or of you metamagic. Actually I can't see much use for your metamagic - Hex can't twin and it's probably your go-to concentration spell, so you're looking at non-concentration spells to twin, and 2nd level know doesn't give you good selection. Quickened will copete against all of the bonus action economy including War Magic.

True. Eldritch Strike is close to useless on this character. Metamagic on the other hand is in my opinion. Hex can be twinned as it targets only one person. And Quickened Spell used for double EB is pretty awesome in my opinion. Specially that you can use your not really used LVL3 spell slots to get sorcery points. The point of Twinned Spell is that you can have two targets for any concentration spell by the way. That's why its useful at all.

You'll have some great combos against single/few melee combatants and a decent AC + shield against missiles but maybe not against the foes of this level. Very good HPs and indomitable will help against spells. You will have Extra Attack (3) at 16th, so you're good at going up and hitting things, but with a weapon that doesn't qualify for Great Weapon Mastery or Sharpshooter I don't think your damage will keep up with the foes at this level, even when you add in d6 for Hex.

To sum it up, this looks fun but I think you are overestimating some of the theoretical. Multiple opponents seem to be an unaddressed weakness. The action economy starts to break down with too many bonus actions or reactions needed. Casting remains enemic for all the effort put into it.

EB remains strong, especially EB kiting with repelling blast. But that would just need warlock 2 and any other 20 CHR combo. Tempestuous Magic is a nice addition to it for kiting though it would involve casting some other spell since EB won't trigger it, and it's a good number of levels before you start having a good number of extra spells to cast. That said, you also have Misty Step to help move when you are engaged. (Though again that hits yoru bonus action economy.)

With so many feats perhaps instead you'd like to increase CON both for more HPs but also to improve your concentration saves as damage goes up.

Regarding the bonus action economy. I wanted to have many options and not just to use one so that the character would be versatile and could adapt in many situations that ma arise. And as you said with multiple enemies it does fall short, but I guess you can't have it all. :)

Again thanks for the review it was very useful and inspiring. I will be posting several other character ideas I have and I hope you could do a review on those as well.

Tainted Powers

First Post
About the dissonant whissper + bb, you'll use your action to cast dissonant whispper. He state that the target don't handle with the noise and move by himself (using his reaction), you will use your reaction to hit it with a AoO, that can be a BB if you have warcaster.
Dissonant whispper movement by RAW is "willingly" sinse the target moved by himself because of the noise, isn't like command ou repealling blast. Same thing with fear spell.

Going to abuse this with my current character I play. Muahahahaaa! Thanks for this! ;)

Undrhil

Explorer
Well, quarterstaff isn't arcane focus RAW, isn't a "staff". But there is a lot of magical quarterstaffs that work as staff in DMG. This would be a problem with shillelagh too, you'll never be able to get a magic weapon and use shillelagh on it.

You can use an Arcane Focus (Staff) as a Quarterstaff, though. And Shillelagh does work on magic Quarterstaffs.

Remove ads