D&D 4E Warlord Flavor (One favorite of mine)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Though i sort of came up with the princess build warlord it's flavor is actually not really my favorite of the bunch. This was written by someone else and I glopped on to it but managed to fail my - record attribution roll properly, I think that is an academic fail on my part for sure.

A Warlords moves do not necessarily involve commands in fact they work better many times as created openings that your fellows perceive and act upon. Instead of telling your teammate to take another swing, you're creating an opening for them (that they see and take advantage of without any more prompting from you than the creation of the opportunity itself). Someone with as much imagination, as much training with a sword and as much insight into the way people (and sentient creatures in general) think as he would not settle for a style of fighting that only led the opponent into exposing itself to his own counter strokes; he'd take pride in managing his enemy so thoroughly that they had to expose themselves on all other sides but his just to keep his blade from their throat.

You're not just using your weapon as a cutting tool to hack apart one target; you're conducting the entire fight with it, hammering a flank here, feinting and falling back there, leading the targets of your strokes in a way that leads the other combatants in response, until the whole of the melee is dancing in time to the thrust of your swordpoint.

You want an ally in that square? You flick a quick stroke at his opponent's knee and cause it to give him the square to avoid your attack. You score a seemingly minor hit, and while the foe congratulates itself on turning your death stroke into a glancing cut, the real killing blow comes in from behind . . . just as you planned. Ten minutes ago.

When you grant a healing surge, you've merely guided the flow of combat so that your winded ally has time to get her breath. You've taken the heat off, so to speak. Perhaps it was something as crude as making a remark that drew her opponent's attention briefly, or maybe your footwork caused your target to shift around to compensate, which cut off the opportunity her opponent was setting up, or maybe there were half a dozen other unwitting participants involved in the maneuver, which you set up well in advance with almost precognitive precision. Or maybe you've done nothing at all - mechanically the surge was granted by your character, but that doesn't mean the story demands your character to act for the other character to get hit points back. Granting a healing surge is a matter of mechanics; taking credit for it by narrating an action on your character's part is optional.

And, of course, your character would show the same level of tact and finesse out of combat. He is trained and naturally gifted in maneuvering other people. He delights in ordering the things around him to his advantage. The cut and thrust of politics is no less deadly than pitched battle; it's just less messy.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Made of awesome.

That bit about orchestrating rather than inspiring a surge, and about not necessarily taking an action in character sparked an idea.

Plan in Motion. Warlord Paragon Daily Utility
"Don't worry about me, when the time comes, you will know what to do."
Standard Special
One ally.
Effect: Expend an Encounter or Daily power and specify a trigger like you would for a readied action. If the trigger occurs before you recover the power, it's effects occur, using the ally as their origin, even if you are not present or unable to act.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Made of awesome.

That bit about orchestrating rather than inspiring a surge, and about not necessarily taking an action in character sparked an idea.

Plan in Motion. Warlord Paragon Daily Utility
"Don't worry about me, when the time comes, you will know what to do."
Standard Special
One ally.
Effect: Expend an Encounter or Daily power and specify a trigger like you would for a readied action. If the trigger occurs before you recover the power, it's effects occur, using the ally as their origin, even if you are not present or unable to act.

oh yes... very very nice...sweet even, vaguely reminds me of the Rehearsal idea I had for prepping a martial power

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I sort of think of this as a Batman or Sherlock Warlord flavor, but I use parts of it regardless.

I just made a hector Warlord at will potentially called confuse and infuriate based on a wizards power ;)

Tony Vargas

Legend
oh yes... very very nice...sweet even, vaguely reminds me of the Rehearsal idea I had for prepping a martial power
Certainly was part of the inspiration.
That and the hackneyed 'you'll know what to do/when' trope. (Which is cool, but I can't resist mocking it: "Really, you can't just give me complete instructions? If you were an owner's manual, I could sue.") 4e powers often seem to do tropes really well.

Here's another recognizable trope:

Memento ... Utility level ?
"Take this. It's always served me well, perhaps it can help you."
Standard
One ally
Requirement: You must give the ally an item. If you want to expend a weapon attack exploit, the item must be a weapon.
Effect: Expend a martial encounter or daily exploit. Until you recover the exploit or the ally returns the item, the ally can use that exploit. If the exploit is a weapon attack, the ally must use the weapon you gave him to make the attack, otherwise the item need only be carried or worn.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
That and the hackneyed 'you'll know what to do/when' trope. (Which is cool, but I can't resist mocking it: "Really, you can't just give me complete instructions? If you were an owner's manual, I could sue.") 4e powers often seem to do tropes really well.

Standard
One ally
Requirement: You must give the ally an item. If you want to expend a weapon attack exploit, the item must be a weapon.
Effect: Expend a martial encounter or daily exploit. Until you recover the exploit or the ally returns the item, the ally can use that exploit. If the exploit is a weapon attack, the ally must use the weapon you gave him to make the attack, otherwise the item need only be carried or worn.

Perhaps we should dig through tvtropes.org more very good.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight

Standard
One ally

I think the item just needs to be something which reminds them of a weapon... ie it is a memento... a spark for memory.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases