Pathfinder 1E Crowns of Ice - A Tale of Blood and Betrayal - Chapter I - The Isle of Heildam

Fenris

Adventurer
Thorir stands and roars at Eben "And it is my brother, my blood, my father, my land." Thorir sits back down at Eben stands stiffly. "Thorir I didn't mean to ..." Thorir interrupts Eben as he sits back down. "Do not think you are the only one who has lost something, who has loved ones at stake. Astrid has a stronger claim than you on Karsii, so if she wishes to go to Grandael, you should follow. I think it is our best plan forward. This is not a frontal assault, this is as Arvid and Astrid have said, we return welcomed and have time to track the cult down. Arvid has said they have grown bold. perhaps we can find this Garmmörk and find what he knows of the cult. Alec has a right to be present at the wedding. This is the best way forward. This is the way to restore justice, to restore your daughter. You are my brother and have followed me for years. I ask you to follow me now."

Eben stands quietly "I cannot agree to any plan that places Astrid at risk, that puts her so near evil. How can I choose between saving Karsii if it means losing Astrid?"

tglassy

Adventurer
"Because Astrid is not yours to lose," Alec said softly, his gaze holding Eben's. "And because you have no better plan to find Karsii. Do you not think I have searched for her? Do you think I have not gone to every diviner, every medicine woman of the wilds to see what they know, against the better judgement of my faith? Where then would you search that I have not? Pray tell me, so that I may search there as well.

"No, this is all connected somehow, and Einar is at the center. No doubt this cult has also been searching for my little one. They may have information we need to fill in the gaps in our intelligence.

"And you, Eben, have no say in this matter, as far as I am concerned. You are not in line for the Jarldom, you did not know you were a father until recently, having left my daughter alone for years. You are only a Bard on a boat, following your brother around the seas. You may have passion, but passion alone accomplishes little."

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
"Easy, all, please. We're on the same side here. Lady Astrid, Jarl Alec, Thorir. Don't make a mistake. Einar is neither stupid nor trusting. Having Astrid taken and "accidentally" saved by none other than Thorir will raise warning signs. Cultists would watch you constantly. And you, young Eben, you're a man of passion, of emotion and reaction. Therefore, you cannot come or you'd doom us all. Even now, you didn't think about your daughter, but how YOU will lose Lady Astrid. Karsii is important to you only as what she represents - sign of love between you two. I apologize for being this blunt and unpleasant, but you have to realize - we may use your help, certainly, but you have to start behaving like an adult - not as eager young warrior that rushes into his first battle."

Arvid looks around taking a sip - waiting to see if Eben will explode. Fists and clenched jaws, but no physical reaction. "Good, there may yet be hope for the boy." thinks kenna in Arvid

"I have a suggestion that would let us come, have various levels of access and good backup options. If you're willing to hear."
Looking at calm determination, or, in Ebens case, glowering resignation, of people around the table he offers:
"Thorir has changed over the years. With some additional work he would be just one more warrior on Jarl Alecs ship giving him access to warriors and more freedom to roam and look for Garmmörk. Lady Astrid would of course be distressed bride - I hope you're good actress lady - Einar is trained for diplomacy more than a sword. He is good judge of people. You'd need to find out from your ladies in waiting if there are stories about children, maidens or others disappearing. Or stories about strange happenings in the halls. I'm fairly certain they are not openly practicing within the halls for the moment, but maybe I don't hear everything there is to hear. Finally, Jarl Alec will have easy access to other Jarls, can find out if there are quiet talks about new powers or alliances."

"I will be under observation for some time after this event, but Einar will be pleased to have his bride back so I don't expect trouble. We can put this money to good use, preparing our fight without needing to pull obvious funds that someone might notice. Eben can stay with the crew, maybe even lead them, assuming if he can control himself enough to wait for agreed time or signal. In the meantime, he can use part of this ransom to hire additional men."

Eben huffs
"Don't worry about me, old man. I'll do anything to save Astrid."

Arvid ignores him as he continues laying out his plan.
"There is an old man, my former teacher, in the town. He always knows things that happen in the shadows. He might know something about Garmmörk. I never asked, fearing the cults abilities. We have to move fast, we risk the discovery if it takes too long, but we risk exposing ourselves if we move too fast. Thorir may challenge his brother at any time, assuming we can prove foul play."

He takes deep breath.
"I ramble on, here is my plan for your review and improvement. First of all, we go to Jarl Volund with all of this. He may know things and help. There is some risk he would betray us, but he is considered harmless and weak so I don't think he's under constant observation. Seeing Thorir might jolt him from his world. Once we're there, Thorir find Garmmörk, Astrid finds out any potential cult gatherings, Alec finds out about any hidden dealings with other Jarls. I will organize some backup for quick retreat if needed, prepare signaling fire to get Eben here quickly. Finally, I will prepare the men still loyal to Jarl Volund. I can watch Lady Astrids room for some part of the night, I am known to prowl the halls at night when my leg gets stiff and painful.

Eben, you will have to remain close but hidden for the first couple of days until we can ascertain date of the wedding - you will have that time to recruit additional ships or men.
Alec, you will have to return some of the ships back to your shores. It would not be well received if you come with full might of your Jarldom. Plus, we don't know how long it would take us to organize everything and your shores might be vulnerable for that time. Take some ravens so you can communicate with your men.

What are your thoughts?"

Queenie

Queen of Everything
It was torture for Astrid, sitting there listening to these men skewer her former lover like that, and it physically hurt her heart. Her whole life she defended Eben, against the petty bullying from their village and court because of his parentage, and it was one of the things that initially drew them together.

"He is not just a Bard on a boat! He may have passion but better to have passion that spurs you to fight for what is right than to sit back and do nothing because you are a coward. Everyone else at this table has training and nobility to sit here and do this but he does not. And yet he is sitting here like a man, fighting for what he believes! He may not agree with my plan but that does not make him unworthy to have a say. I know he does not agree with me but I also know now that he knows he is a father, he will fight for his daughter until his very last breath."

Her eyes met Eben's and she gave him the warm smile she'd always had just for him. It was obvious the girl was conflicted over her poet.

"As I would for you, Astrid, without hesitation," the Skald responded to her.

"I know, I know you would. But I still can not let it sway me from this Eben."

She broke their eye contact and looked back to the table.

"While Thorir and Einar have been at odds, it is still Thorir's home. His father still sits on the throne. He does not need a complicated reason to return. And if I am to go to Einar's halls, I will need as many allies around as possible to help look after me. While I am not helpless I..." Her voice trailed off as a few violent memories came to her that she had to push away. She couldn't afford to be frightened now. "I just cannot defend against an entire cult on my own. I do not know what they want with me but I cannot be completely unguarded and available for them to snatch away." The thought caused a cold shiver to run down her spine.

"I would NOT tell this to Lord Volund, unless Thorir visits with his father and deems it necessary. Who knows what magic spell he may be under, or who is listening. No one there should know that we know. Not at first."

"As for myself, Arvid, I grew up freely in my father's court and have also been trained in the art of diplomacy. I have more skills than you, or Einar, knows. I have known Einar since I was just a child. He has been courting me for many, many years and while I did notice a change in him I assumed it was him taking on more responsibilities in his own house. He has always acted caring and concerned to my face and I imagine he will continue that to get whatever it is that he wants."

Neurotic

"My apologies lady, but your love blinds you. Eben may be valuable to the crew and friend to the noble captain here. But he's still a crew member. One that will try to protect you above all else, regardless of the consequences. While I believe Jarl Alec will do the same, he would at least intervene when the threat is obvious, real. He wouldn't jump based only on his feelings. If that was so, he would never let you finish this mission. Master Eben, I beg you, consider your feelings in this matter and think long and hard if your presence would help or you would endanger Lady Astrid in already dangerous situation."

He looks around at men before once again looking Astrid in the eyes.
"It is true, I don't know absolutely sure if Jarl Volund is under a spell or not. I don't think so, but I am no mage. He could be drugged or just old. If you know something about healing, you could check while you talk to him. You don't have to tell him everything. Or anything, if we agree to exclude him, I will not tell him. Elev, on Gatabergs mountains I swear, I'm here to help you clear your ancestral halls."

"As for Thorir, you, Lady, may be trained in diplomacy, but that doesn't make you good at intrigue. Think about the situation: Einar is to be wed and soon to take the title of Jarl. At exactly that moment, his long estranged brother, brother that Einar essentially ran off, returns as a savior of the bride. If that doesn't put you and him under constant surveillance I don't know what would. In addition, he would be a target for every paid killer or cult assassin while there. Einar wouldn't order him killed, I hope, but the cult might. Or might not. But they would watch him for sure. And that doesn't help us in the least."

He stands up
"I talk too much. I stated my thoughts on the matter, lets hammer the agreement and head back. You three, four" Arvid includes Eben in the motion "discuss your options. I will walk to the beach and back - you will have time to discuss the plan and discuss me as an unknown. You can think of contingencies if you're afraid of treason from me. Without me listening in." Arvid slowly walks off

Fenris

Adventurer
Thorir calls Arvid back. "By Odin's beard Arvid are you getting dottard in your age? You are making a lot of assumptions about people you have either never met or haven't seen in four years. Eben wasn't just a bard on a boat and he wasn't just a crew member, he was a fighter and second in command. Additionally you attribute acts to him without warrant and yet claim Alec would not be as bold in defending his daughter? After what he sailed here with? Are you daft old man? You think Eben all passion and no mind that he would intervene when the 'threat is real' as you said for Alec, making a clear statement that Eben would react to unreal threats? You know NOTHING about him. I have sailed next to him for four years and he has been my shield brother as well as my blood brother. You have NEVER met him before this five minutes and have no right to make such claims against him."

"As for Astrid, you think her not skilled at intrigue? Have you ever met a woman who wasn't? You may be placed in my father's halls' but your tongue is covered in troll dung. You never were this demeaning to anyone when I knew you before." Thorir pauses "Or perhaps you were and it is merely my ears that have grown. In any case, I will not skulk home. I will come uncovered or not at all. And if it attracts the attention of the cult, all the better for the others to have less fettered reigns to accomplish their goals."

Thorir sighs "My apologies Arvid, but your manner of speech is,..... disheartening here, and uninformed. I appreciate your perspective, and certainly you have been on the ground with Einar and Volund. However, there is more at play here than you realize, and tools you are unaware of."

Neurotic

Arvid stops at the barrage. Listens. Turns back and answers slowly.
"You're right, I don't know Eben. I judged based on his comments not on his looks. He will not allow Astrid to be placed in danger...right. He will get their daughter back! Now! What did I teach you about reacting without thinking? He would jeopardize the mission, simple."

He limps back toward the table, waves his cane around as he walks and his voice grows more animate.
"I never said Jarl Alec wouldn't defend his daughter. In fact, I believe the opposite. But he would defend her when she's in danger, not when he imagines her to be. As for Lady Astrid, I know her not. But again, her comment about you coming openly...provoking, but ultimately counterproductive. Yes, it is an assumption - maybe you and Einar will make merry and marry Lady Astrid off while you return to your role as younger brother. How's that for an assumption, elev?!"
By that final part he's essentially in Thorirs face/space. But immediately, he pulls back.
"I'm not here to fight you. Of course I don't mean it like that, it is easy to act and talk as this clearly shows. The deeds are what counts. And if you lot think it is better to rush in without preparation, by all means. I'll help any way I can. Just understand something. All of you! You're going into mortal danger and more! I know, I'm living it! And announcing your coming gives them time to plan an attack and to plan how to hide any evidence we could uncover. Now, think of me whatever you want, I will -try- to give you time to talk this out."

He starts walking back toward the beach, but apologizes (sort of) before leaving the table
"I apologize if I insulted anyone, it is not my place to tell Jarls and families what to do. I asked for your story as I disclosed mine. I got bits and pieces. Fair, you don't know me. So, talk it out without me. I'll return and we can plan. It will give everyone time to calm down and consider what is said not how it is said."

OOC:
If Thorir reacts to the challenge before Arvid finishes (physically I mean) we can slug it out :) just to see if the old man still has it - Thorir has his crew to think about after all. And putting Arvid down might be an interesting RP by itself (pupil outmastering the master). Combat might even reveal some secrets. If anyone has high enough Sense Motive, you can try to see through the act (even now, you could try and see through the limp, but it is near on impossible (I would roll 1d20+30 for opposed roll or DC 40 passive, 'only' DC 37 if it would be Bluff instead of Disguise)

Finally, everyone, don't get insulted by Neurotic, it is just Arvid speaking :) - he lives in constant dangers and letting go is healthy :p
He'll get better when he gets to know others. He will even defer to Thorir once we start - you know, Jarl thing.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
Astrid stared at Arvid's back momentarily as he began walking away again, considering his words. She also wondered why her father sat silent for so long.

Finally she spoke while Arvid could still hear her. "Eben is a son of Volund. You did not know that Arvid, but now you do. Eben has his own reasons for being here."

"I do not know what more story you need than what my father has told you. Tell us what you want to hear and I will share it, if you are to help us, you will need to know things. Think on it for when you return."

She turned to Thorir, speaking once Arvid was out of earshot. "That man was your teacher? You trust him? How do we know any of this is not a trap set up by Einar? Why does he think you should not return home?"

Fenris

Adventurer
Thorir sighs as he watches Arvid leave. "He was my teacher yes. Did I trust him yes. Do I know where his loyalty lies? No. But he was the man who taught me honor."

Thorir rolls his mug around on the bottom edge for a moment. "So little jarlinna." drawls Thorir, his wolfish grin returning for the first time since they had gathered together. "Have I been honorable? As you judge me, judge him. I will hold the wereguild should he not be true."

"As for why he doesn't want me to return home, well he didn't quite say that. He is worried rather that my appearance would raise or draw the attention of the cult. Either making an attempt on my life, or worse, going further underground."

"Now, were I to show up by myself, I think yes that I might arouse the ire of the cult. However, I think that they will have been gnashing their teeth the last few days over the potential to have lost, again, their opportunity to summon their dark lord. So I think that it won't matter who shows up. They will be slavering over YOU like a wolf over a deer after a lean winter. If what you have said is true, they will no want to let this opportunity be let go. They will not do anything,including attacking me, that could delay, stall or otherwise affect the wedding. But Arvid is being cautious, he is reading the signs as he sees them. However, until today no one has had every piece of this puzzle, so I don't know that any of us know what will be in store. Other than of course, blood, treachery, and death. Einar must be stopped. And I must be the one to stop him to restore my family honor. Alec must stop the cult that has infected his land. And you as well as Eben must track down and root our the very heart of this cult to find your daughter. No plan or approach will be safe. Arvid wishes me to return incognito, and that is a good idea on the surface. what happens once our ruse is revealed? You see the problem. No, we return as we discussed. All openly."

Remove ads