Playing music off the internet (need help)

Sixchan

First Post
Okay, I'm running IE6, and have winamp. If I click on a link to a sound file, half of the time is opens in Winamp, and the rest of the time it opens in the media thing in IE.

How can I get it to open in Winamp every time?

Sakzilla

Explorer
On a windows based system, you should find one of the music file types that you have on your system (or download one that doesn't open in the right player).

Right click on the file and click on "properties" - you should see something like "opens with" and have a player type listed - might be IE, real player, Win Media Player, etc.

You'll also see a box or button that says "change" and let's you select a default player for that file type. Click on it, close all you browsers, and then launch that song. It should play in the media player you selected. Then when you see files like that on the web, they should play in the correct player

Another way of disabling the media option turned on in IE6 is to just disable it under Tools - Internet Options - Advanced - you'll see it most of the way down.

Good luck. Ron

Last edited:

Psionicist

Explorer
There are some files WinAmp cannot open, such as Real Media files (.rm extension) and Windows Media files (.wmp extension).

Nothing to do about it sorry.

Sixchan

First Post
None of the above. It was just a matter of going into the media options and deselecting "play web media in the bar".

Dunno why I didn't think of that before.:eek:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases