D&D 5E Best in-combat healer

kalani

First Post
Wasn't trying to derail the thread. My apologies. I was simply saying that heavy in-combat healing isn't the only option. Now as far as healing goes, there aren't many options available at low levels unfortunately. Mass Healing Word, and Aura of Vitality are the two strongest at lower level (not counting goodberry​), and it really isn't until you hit 5th level+ spells that better options come along such as Mass Cure Wounds, Regenerate, and Heal

An alternative option to the Life Cleric 1/Lore Bard X, is Sorcerer (any) 3/Life Cleric X. If UA is an option, Favored Soul would be my preferred choice, but failing that - I would probably go with Dragon Sorcerer for the extra hit points. While the drawback of this build is delayed access to healing spells, being able to Twin cast Heal or an upcast Cure Wounds has its advantages, as does a Quickened Cure Wounds combined with a Cantrip, or an attack.

Another alternative which will help take some of the strain off your spell slots is to take Thief Rogue 3/Life Cleric X with the Healer feat. This option grants you a reliable healing effect as a bonus action (1d6+4+Lvl) while avoiding the drawback that healing word has, in that it still allows you to cast a non-cantrip spell with your action (such as an upcast cure wounds​). If you were to take this route, I would start as a Variant Human Rogue, and then multiclass into Cleric at 4th level. This will grant you reliable healing at a point when your spell slots are at a premium, while still allowing you to have the big healing effects come online at a point when the party needs them. Delaying access to higher level spells by 3 levels would hurt most spellcasters, but if your primary goal is healing support, this becomes less of an issue as your best healing spells are 3rd level (Beacon of Hope and Mass Healing Word), and waiting until 12th level to pick up Mass Cure Wounds isn't as bad as it sounds.

If your goal is to be a primary support character, I would also strongly consider using Sanctuary as your primary defensive spell since you will be casting few spells that will affect a hostile target.

Even if you choose the role of dedicated support healer, the party should still do their best to be self-sufficient. Barbarians, Druids, GWM Fighters, Sorcadins, Control Wizards, and High AC Sentinel characters can all make your job of support healer that much easier. If all of the burden of sustaining the party falls to you, you will find your spell slots exhausted quickly, and there will be times when two or more characters are in dire need of healing at the same time, and you will need to choose which one to heal.

Last edited:

kalani

First Post
Tranquility monks are good secondary healers, and have a self-sanctuary effect which can help bail them out when necessary. Unfortunately, a lot of their abilities rely on monk levels and their healing effects aren't spells and so don't stack with the Life Cleric ability. As such, they don't make good primary healers IMO, not when you are comparing them to the likes of a single-class Life Cleric, let alone any of the multiclass variants. Personally though, I think that Paladins make better off-healers than Tranquil Monks, but tranquil monks come with Stunning Fist, and Ki - so there is that.

mellored

Legend
If your including damage prevention, then I would say cleic1/lore bard wins at low levels. With cutting word, good berry and aura of vitality.

At higher levels, I think straight life cleric makes a comeback. With multiple chanel divinities, more healing spells, and the higher level healing features. Not to mention, you don't need Cha, and can take both inspiring leader, healer, and other defensive feats. Cutting words looses steam with multi-attack, and aura of vitality doesn't keep up in combat, especially since it's concentration. It's still great out of combat though.

Though the next question, would you consider hypnotic pattern as damage prevention? How about greater invisibility? How about paladins aura?

Zardnaar

Legend
The lore bard/life cleric combo works but is a bit slow coming inline. Life cleric 1/land Druid XYZ is also good and comes online at level two with h blasting options on top of being a healer. Getting spells back after a short rest is also great.

Nothing wrong with pure life cleric either. Thief with healer feat is also good.

Remove ads