D&D 5E Storm King's Thunder [OOC]

Greetings! I'm looking to start my first ever PBP game.

Campaign: Storm King's Thunder and, the related Acquisitions Incorporated delve, Cloud Giant's Bargain.

Setting: This is a 5th edition Forgotten Realms product that takes place on The Sword Coast.

Synopsis: Giants have emerged from their strongholds to threaten civilization as never before. Hill giants are stealing all the grain and livestock they can, while stone giants have been scouring settlements that have been around forever. Fire giants are press-ganging the small folk into the desert, while frost giant longships have been pillaging along the Sword Coast. Even the elusive cloud giants have been witnessed, their wondrous floating cities appearing above Waterdeep and Baldur’s Gate. Where is the storm giant King Hekaton, who is tasked with keeping order among the giants?

Pace: A post a day should be fine. I will certainly be one more than that to answer any questions.

Character Creation:
Please use the PHB or SCAG to create a level one character with standard gear and wealth.

Stats:
Standard array of
15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8.

Character Advancements: No need to track XP. Storm King's Thunder has specific plot points where the party levels up. Heroes should be around the 11th level by the end.

Plot Hook:
The adventure begins south of Waterdeep in the sleepy village of Nightstone. You may create a reason for your character to be heading there or use the suggested ones below.

• The characters have heard rumors of goblins terrorizing the settlement. The High Steward of Nightstone, Lady Velrosa Nandar, is a Waterdhavian noble. She is reportedly offering a reward to anyone willing and able to deal with the goblin threat.

• Nightstone is a popular retreat for wealthy nobles who wish to hunt in the Ardeep Forest. Adventurers can earn good money by offering their services as guards on a hunt.

• The residents of Nightstone have a longstanding and seemingly irreconcilable conflict with their northern neighbors, the elves of the Ardeep Forest. Lady Velrosa Nandar has been searching for skilled mediators to help resolve the dispute.

• The Nightstone Inn is renowned for its food and cozy guest rooms. The dwarf innkeeper, Morak Ur'gray, has a fondness for adventurers and a nose for lucrative adventuring opportunities.

Initiative: For posting ease, all players will go in combat before the villains. I will roll and post the order at the start of combat. This adventure features some large scale battles and I will incorporate the mob rules for them.

Openings: I'm seeking five players, preferably a variety of classes and races.

Factions: Players have the option to join one of the five Adventure League factions in this campaign. This is not a requirement, but certain NPCs will give out additional information and items to their fellow faction members. Here is a breakdown of the different groups:
http://www.epicwords.com/attachments/16476

Style: I've always been drawn to the story telling aspect of D&D. I won't drown you in novel length posts, but I do try to incorporate life and comedy into my writing. Storm King's Thunder is a sandbox style campaign. I'm more than happy to listen to ideas and let the group steer the direction of the adventure.

Immersion: In order to provide the authentic D&D experience, I will be snail mailing slices of pizza and a list of distracting topics for side conversations at the table.

Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Color me interested. I don't have any specific concepts in mind at the moment, but I'm willing to play just about any class. For the most part, baring any real-life distractions, once-a-day posts aren't a problem.

-IG

TallIan

Explorer
Oooooooo, tempting, though I might be stretching myself thin.

I might be either a wizard or a fighter - not sure yet.

Are you allowing feats and/or variant human?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

xynthoros

First Post
I am fairly interested, I would probably play a primary caster of some sort. I am curious as to whether you are open to Unearthed Arcana as there are a few things in there that I am dying to play.

With present info, looking at Wood Elf Druid (circle of land, forest), Outlander. I have connections to the elves of Ardeep and perhaps I can help them come to some type of agreement.
Str 8, Dex 16, Con 13, Int 12, Wis 16, Cha 10

Sent from my D6603 using EN World mobile app

Last edited:

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I'd be interested in playing.

Bethany the Bold, Variant Human Fighter, Soldier background.
Str 16 Dex 10 Con 14 Int 8 Wis 14 Cha 12
Bethany dreamed of life as anywhere but working in her father's inn as a cook or barmaid. Ran off to join an army, wound up as a cook. She finished her contract and is now striking out on her own. She's come to Nightstone to find work, whether a guard on a hunt, or whatever looks tempting.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
I'd be keen in trying a Death Cleric (DMG) of Kelemvor, either LN or LG. I'm not looking to play a necromancer with a horde of undead minions, but someone who uses death magic with hopeful, helpful intentions (half elf, or wood elf, variant human), not meaning to be as spooky at all.

I will admit I am in another (higher level) SKT game, and so I understand if I am not selected.

xynthoros

First Post
So the archive for the Unearthed Arcana is here: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana

I am interested mainly in material from the Circle of the Shepherd for the Druid from here.

I am also interested in the Primeval Guardian from here.

I am also fine playing the Circle of the land druid that I already have posted, it would just be a bonus to be able to play one of those. The only thing that would change is my class, all other aspects remain the same.

Last edited:

Bethany the Bold, Variant Human Fighter, Soldier background.
Bethany dreamed of life as anywhere but working in her father's inn as a cook or barmaid. Ran off to join an army, wound up as a cook. She finished her contract and is now striking out on her own. She's come to Nightstone to find work, whether a guard on a hunt, or whatever looks tempting.

Sounds good! Send me a full character sheet.

I am also fine playing the Circle of the land druid that I already have posted, it would just be a bonus to be able to play one of those. The only thing that would change is my class, all other aspects remain the same.

Both seem fine to me. The Circle of The Shepherd fits really well with the Ardeep dispute and the guardian's powers might come in handy against giants.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
View attachment Bethany the Bold Flat.pdf
Bethany the Bold
Human Fighter 1
Soldier AL NG

[sblock=Background]
Bethany the Bold was the daughter of an innkeeper. Her mother died in childbirth, so her dad raised her as best he could. Bethany dreamed of life as anywhere but working in her father's inn as a cook or barmaid.She was fascinated by stories of battle travelers brought in, and when she was sixteen she ran off and joined an army... She returned home and learned of her father's death. She is at a loss as to what is next. She's come to Nightstone to find work, whether a guard on a hunt, or whatever looks tempting.[/sblock]
[sblock=”Appearance & Personality”]
Traits: She loves games of physical skill of all types.
Bethany reacts from her heart, not her head usually.
Ideal: The strong are obligated to help the weak.
Bond: Bethany has no bonds to specific things, except her sense of honor and obligation to help people.
Flaw: She is a notoriously bad gambler, her sense of risk and reward is skewed.

Hair: Brown
Eyes: Brown
Skin: Fair
Height: 6’3””
Weight: 225 lbs.
Description:
A statuesque woman, Bethany seems almost stern at first, but can warm up with those she is close too. Her long hair is usually worn coiled in a bun at the back of her head.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stats]
Str 16 (+3) Dex 10 (+0) Con 14 (+2)
Int 8 (-1) Wis 14 (+2) Cha 12 (+1)

SKILLS
Acrobatics +0
Animal Handling +2
Arcana -1
Athletics +5
Deception +1
History -1
Insight +4
Intimidation +3
Investigation -1
Medicine +4
Nature -1
Perception +4
Performance +1
Persuasion +1
Religion -1
Sleight of Hand +0
Stealth +0
Survival +2

PROFICIENCIES
Armor: All Armor, Shields
Weapons: Simple Weapons, Martial Weapons
Tools: Dice, Vehicles (land)
Languages: Common, Orcish

COMBAT
Init: +0
AC: 18
HP: 12
Hit Dice: 1d10
Speed 30
Size Medium
Passive perception 14
SAVING THROWS
STR +5 DEX +0 CON +4 INT -1 WIS +2 CHA +1
Attacks
Longsword +5 / 1d8+5 slashing versatile (1d10)
Handaxe +5 / 1d6+5 slashing light, thrown 20/60

CLASS FEATURES / FEATS
Class: Fighter
Fighting Style: Dueling
You gain a +2 bonus to damage while wielding a weapon in one hand and no other weapons.
Second Wind
On your turn, you can use a bonus action to regain hit points equal to 1d10 + your fighter level. (1d10+1) Once you use this feature, you must finish a short or long rest before you can use it again.

Background (Soldier) Feature : Military Rank
I have a military rank from my career as a soldier. Soldiers loyal to my former military organization still recognize my authority and influence. I can invoke my rank to influence soldiers and temporarily requisition simple equipment or horses. I can usually gain access to friendly military encampments and fortresses where my rank is recognized.

Feat: Shield Master
As a bonus action, when I use the Attack action, I can shove someone within 5 ft with my shield.
I add my shield's AC bonus to Dex saves vs. effects targeting only me.
As a reaction, if I succeed on a Dex save for half damage, I can interpose my shield to avoid the damage.

EQUIPMENT
CHainmail
Longsword
Shield
Two handaxes
Backpack
Bedroll
Mess kit,
Tinderbox
10 torches
10 days of rations
Waterskin