Skill Utilities and Their Impact on Play

darkbard

Legend
As for combat stunts hmmm improvised leaping on someones mule and spur it into a nasty kick towards some end or perhaps using the mount as a spring board for a high leap.

[Removing the tongue partially implanted in cheek]: Actually, that makes sense of a kind: Move to enemy mount (rare, I know, but so would be the character who took such a skill power, so I'm making allowances for a DM who would cater to this kind of game some); Practiced Rider to mount; Standard Action to Stunt at DMG 42 Encounter level attack.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
[Removing the tongue partially implanted in cheek]: Actually, that makes sense of a kind: Move to enemy mount (rare, I know, but so would be the character who took such a skill power, so I'm making allowances for a DM who would cater to this kind of game some); Practiced Rider to mount; Standard Action to Stunt at DMG 42 Encounter level attack.

I didn't say it thinking it was impossibubble LOL

As for combat stunts hmmm improvised leaping on someones mule and spur it into a nasty kick towards some end or perhaps using the mount as a spring board for a high leap.

How about things like the old 'Apache Trick' where you ride hanging from one stirrup to gain cover from your horse?

Absolutely. Both of these are good stunt examples.

And I agree Garthonos, chases are prolific Action Scenes in my game so a character with this Utility Power would get some good use out of it in SCs (assuming its not rooftop chases, etc).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
[MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION] hanging from the stirrup... sounds close to mechanically being prone while mounted

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I thought when I seen the ability it was so narrow it needs some help. And helping someone else mount up quickly is also very much a thing... hmmm.

I also considered saying one can attempt a quick mount with a difficult nature skill check

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], I'm currently reading your old "The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon" play-by-post thread, and though that is now several years old, many of its principles apply to what you're laying out here in this thread. I wonder if you might develop further and in particular the mechanics of using Encounter (or Daily) attack powers during skill challenges. For example, one PC in that game uses Charge to Glory as an action declaration during a skill challenge. He rolls an attack against AC and then that number is compared to ... what, precisely? The opponent's AC as if this were a regular attack roll? An Easy, Medium, or Hard DC for the PC's level, where the DC substitutes in for AC? Some combination thereof, or something else entirely?

Also, there is frequent mention in that thread of success on rolls yielding a +2 to carry over to another PC's actions (presumably as a preroll buff or immediate interrupt). Where do these come from?

[MENTION=6696971]Manbearcat[/MENTION], I'm currently reading your old "The chamberlain, the king, and the dragon" play-by-post thread, and though that is now several years old, many of its principles apply to what you're laying out here in this thread. I wonder if you might develop further and in particular the mechanics of using Encounter (or Daily) attack powers during skill challenges. For example, one PC in that game uses Charge to Glory as an action declaration during a skill challenge. He rolls an attack against AC and then that number is compared to ... what, precisely? The opponent's AC as if this were a regular attack roll? An Easy, Medium, or Hard DC for the PC's level, where the DC substitutes in for AC? Some combination thereof, or something else entirely?

Also, there is frequent mention in that thread of success on rolls yielding a +2 to carry over to another PC's actions (presumably as a preroll buff or immediate interrupt). Where do these come from?

1) Average AC for level sub for Medium DC. High AC for level sub for High AC.

I believe that was level 12? So that would make Average AC @ 27 with High being that number +2 (so 29). You can run an entire combat as SC (I've done it tons) sort of in a Dungeon World fashion. If the players have the appropriate fictional positioning (such as several threatening bad guys within a few paces for Come and Get It), they can deploy it like its the fictional trigger for a move in Dungeon World. I typically give between a +2 to +3 to the move/power depending on how applicable it is to the present fictional positioning.

2) +2 augment of subsequent Primary Skill? I'm assuming those were Secondary Skills.

You may want to also check out my Dungeon World PBP in which we ran a portion using 4e. Starts with that post I believe. This displays Epic 4e @ level 24.

Also, solo, Heroic Tier 4e game found here.

Lots of highly varying conflicts, with the same Agenda, Principles, and techniques you see me advocating for regularly, in those.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases