D&D 5E [GUIDE] Battle On: The Fighter Guide

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter
I changed my Champion to Samurai.

Fighter Samurai (lvl15)
STR 20 / DEX 10 / CON 16 / INT 10 / WIS 14 / CHA 12
Feats. HAM, GWM, Alert.
Skills. Athletics, Stealth, History, Insight, Perception, Persuasion.

For a Fighting Style I choose Defense. GWF is ok, but don't give you a better damage, just a consistent damage. On the other hand, Defense gives to you a better AC than you expect have.

When you don't need spend a feat for Resilient on Wis, you can have other great feat for your character. In this case is Heavy Armor Master.

The only drawback with Samurai archetype is Fighting Spirit reset only on long rest. Give it two uses and reset on short is better than this.

My actual dilemma is:
1. 20 CON on lvl 20 - 224 HP +11 CON save;
2. 18 and Sentinel - 204 HP + 10 CON save and reaction attack;
3. Tough and Sentinel - 224 HP + 09 CON save and reaction attack.

Well, technically, GWF gives you a good chance at more damage but I agree that if you only have your weapon dice, it's of limited effect. A Battle Master, however...

Depending on your role, I would choose #3 in a heartbeat, being a sticky tank is always nice.

andargor

Rule Lawyer Groupie
Supporter

Gah. Intent != the way GWF is written. Oh well.

EDIT: Seems that Jeremy Crawford disagrees, so up to the DM I guess

Q: A frost brand gets +1d6 cold dmg, is that 1d6 'wpn dmg' that could be added again by a HalfOrc w/ Savage Attacks on a crit?
A: Savage Attacks: add 1 of a weapon's dice to a crit. again. Frost brand is a wpn. w/ 1d6 cold as 1 of its dice

https://mobile.twitter.com/JeremyECrawford/status/769595492082647041

EDIT2: And Mike Mearls too...

Q: great weapon fighting and smite. Does it allow you to re-roll 1s and 2s on the smite damage?
A: believe so, yes

https://mobile.twitter.com/mikemearls/status/634167899943399424

EDIT3: And the official answer is.... *drum roll* ... NO! :)

If you use Great Weapon Fighting with a feature like Divine Smite or a spell like hex, do you get to reroll any 1 or 2 you roll for the extra damage? The Great Weapon Fighting feature—which is shared by fighters and paladins—is meant to benefit only the damage roll of the weapon used with the feature. For example, if you use a greatsword with the feature, you can reroll any 1 or 2 you roll on the weapon’s 2d6. If you’re a paladin and use Divine Smite with the greatsword, Great Weapon Fighting doesn’t let you reroll a 1 or 2 that you roll for the damage of Divine Smite.

The main purpose of this limitation is to prevent the tedium of excessive rerolls. Many of the limits in the game are aimed at inhibiting slowdowns. Having no limit would also leave the door open for Great Weapon Fighting to grant more of a damage boost than we intended, although the potential for that is minimal compared to the likelihood that numerous rerolls would bog the game down.

http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-april-2016

Last edited:

mellored

Legend
Battlemaster (dice uses) vs samurai (attacks with advantage)
level 3 = 12 vs 6
level 5 = 12 vs 12
level 7 = 15 vs 12
level 10 = 15 vs 18
level 11 = 15 vs 27
level 15 = 18 vs 27
level 17 = 18 vs 36
level 20 = 18 vs 48

*Assuming 6 battles and 2 short rests, and using action surge when you have advantage.

Too bad there's no way to retrain your subclass at level 11.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
Battlemaster (dice uses) vs samurai (attacks with advantage)
level 3 = 12 vs 6
level 5 = 12 vs 12
level 7 = 15 vs 12
level 10 = 15 vs 18
level 11 = 15 vs 27
level 15 = 18 vs 27
level 17 = 18 vs 36
level 20 = 18 vs 48

*Assuming 6 battles and 2 short rests, and using action surge when you have advantage.

Too bad there's no way to retrain your subclass at level 11.

Theoretically, at level 10 if you blew all uses in the first fight you would get 5 more uses due to 5 additional fights.

You would make 2 attacks normally and 4 with action surge which you get to use 3 times.

That's 12 attacks with advantage from action surge and 3 uses of the ability with an additional 10 attacks from the other 5 uses of the ability. That would be 22 attacks with advantage for the level 10 Samurai. Though I admit your way is probably more realistic, but its certainly not the best case scenario for the ability.

It would be 33 at level 11. It would be 42 at level 17. It would be 56 at level 20.

Last edited:

Battle Master dice uses vs. Samurai attacks with advantage isn't necessarily apples-to-apples.

Melee Battle Master lands Trip Attack on the first attack of an Action Surge turn and he's getting just one less attack with advantage than the Samurai is, for example. Plus the extra BM die of damage from landing Trip Attack in the first place.

Remove ads