D&D 5E [GUIDE] Battle On: The Fighter Guide

For a "4e Style Defender" the Battlemaster + Shield Master/Sentinel seems the best way to play it? Or does Cavalier edge it out as a tank? My gut still says Battlemaster.
The Battlemaster has Menacing Attack which is one way it has to defend, but I wouldn't really match that up with 4e-style defending. Also, Menacing Attack works off a limited resource.

A Cavalier applies its mark at-will and can apply it to as many enemies as it has attacks per round. And at Lv. 10 prevents the problem of enemies moving around you within your reach.

So if strictly talking about defenders, I'd say the Cavalier is probably better. The Battlemaster is just a better damage dealer who can also defend in its own way every once in a while.

Zene

First Post
I’m struggling a bit with how to build a Cavalier; especially feat and weapon choices. Like trying to reconcile the fact that you are going to get attacked a lot, so you want a shield; but you also want reach to maximize the effectiveness of hold the line; and the L18 ability seems like a natural fit for a polearm master, but then you’re dropping a ton of AC by mot wearing a shield in Tier 4 (when you may very well have a +2 or +3 shield).

Whip is one-handed and provides reach, but that seems like a super weird solution. And lance is one-handed with reach while mounted, but becomes super awkward if you dismount or if you’re trying to stay within 5’ of your target.

Any advice?

I’m struggling a bit with how to build a Cavalier; especially feat and weapon choices. Like trying to reconcile the fact that you are going to get attacked a lot, so you want a shield; but you also want reach to maximize the effectiveness of hold the line; and the L18 ability seems like a natural fit for a polearm master, but then you’re dropping a ton of AC by mot wearing a shield in Tier 4 (when you may very well have a +2 or +3 shield).

Whip is one-handed and provides reach, but that seems like a super weird solution. And lance is one-handed with reach while mounted, but becomes super awkward if you dismount or if you’re trying to stay within 5’ of your target.

Any advice?

Quarterstaff + shield works with Polearm Master just fine and you still get your AC. You don't get reach though.

Zene

First Post
Quarterstaff + shield works with Polearm Master just fine and you still get your AC. You don't get reach though.
True. I’d miss the reach, but... Still a pretty good combo, and could always trade out for an actual polearm at times when reach is more important than AC. Thanks!

kangareagle

First Post
One thing: Xanathar's also adds some stuff to the tool proficiencies (starting pg. 78). It's slightly less fluffy than it used to be. Also, THANK YOU for this whole guide. It's really helpful.

Phion

Explorer

Any advice?

Personally I think you should own what the archetype enables instead of worrying about AC, and that my friend is slaughter the enemy and with the pole arm move away after attacks due to reach with your 40-50 ft of movement on horse.

I would do it like this, my example will be a level 6 cavalier (either a half orc or half elf (more on half elf later)). Your 2 feats are mounted combatant (Advantage against a lot of creatures and protection for your ride) and polearm master.
-Now Half orc as race is simple, you have advantage from mounted combatant so good chance to use savage attack on your normal attacks and opportunity attack when enemy enters polearm reach; also once a day avoid being knocked out. I would probably go for this race over others.
-As for Half-elf, maintain the strength build and at level 8 take elven accuracy so now while using mounted combatant you pretty much have constant advantage against most creatures. A bit of work but good dps potential.

Now for your defence concerns
- With your polearm use hit and run tactics, make them chase you and they will likely struggle while you are mounted. Can't hit you if they can't reach you.
-Can't hit you if they are dead, make sure to hit them hard and fast
- Take the fighting style that increases AC by 1, with plate you will have 19 AC
-If defence is of utmost importance use the dodge action, it will still be possible for you to attack with your polearm reaction
-Ultimately defend yourself with strategy not stats, a good party will adapt to the parties strengths and find ways to cover weaknesses.

-As for Half-elf, maintain the strength build and at level 8 take elven accuracy so now while using mounted combatant you pretty much have constant advantage against most creatures. A bit of work but good dps potential.

Elven Accuracy doesn't work with STR attacks.

After some thought, I've downgraded Samurai to dark blue. It's an effective subclass, no doubt (especially past Lv. 10), but Battle Masters and Eldritch Knights both have their ways of getting advantage on a lot of their attacks (even if not with the 100% reliability of Fighting Spirit), and besides that have a lot more nifty tricks up their sleeve. So, can't rate Samurai quite on their level.

Also downgraded Arcane Archer to black. Only 2 uses per short rest just doesn't seem adequate beyond the earliest levels, and Ever-Ready Shot probably should've come around Lv. 10 instead of 15.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases