Can my various characters interact outside of modules with each other?

Undrhil

Explorer
Basically, I know that I can trade items between two of my characters by spending downtime days, but what if I have two Wizards both at level 5. With the expenditure of gold and downtime, can they scribe from each others spellbook to share spells?

AS far as I know, unless this has been changed with the current season and I missed it, spells can only be traded between characters that are participating in an adventure together, either before or after the adventure or during the rare adventure that has a lot of travel days. You cannot have two characters in a game at the same time, so they would not be able to trade spells.

Undrhil

Explorer
AS far as I know, unless this has been changed with the current season and I missed it, spells can only be traded between characters that are participating in an adventure together, either before or after the adventure or during the rare adventure that has a lot of travel days. You cannot have two characters in a game at the same time, so they would not be able to trade spells.

SKT Player's Guide said:
Exchanging Wealth
You can’t give another character gold or mundane equipment. However, you can pay for some or all of the cost of services that help another character, such as the cost of a raise dead spell. In order to donate funds toward services for another character, you must be in the same party (at the same play table) unless otherwise specified by the adventure.

This doesn't say anything about sharing spellbooks. The only mention of anything similar is trading permanent magical items, which is permitted amongst other characters, and oneself, at the cost of downtime days (unless the trade takes place during a module, in which case, there's no downtime spent.)

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
This doesn't say anything about sharing spellbooks.

That's because you're looking in the wrong document -- you want the FAQ.

Adventurers League FAQ said:
Two or more characters participating in the same adventure together at the same table that subsequently choose to perform this downtime activity at the same time may allow one another access to their spellbook; effectively “trading” spells between everyone involved to copy as normal.

As there may sometimes be a chance of failure when copying spells, you must perform this downtime activity in the presence of the table’s DM.

As two characters belonging to the same player cannot legally participate in the same adventure ("Players may only play one character at a time and they may only play their own characters."), you cannot trade spells between two of your own characters, at least until this downtime activity is expanded to allow it.

Edit: After reviewing the rules again, I'm not sure why the FAQ mandates that the downtime activity must be performed in the presence of a DM, unless it's merely to enforce the 'both characters playing the same adventure at the same table' aspect of the rule. There is no check for copying spells from someone else's spellbook to yours in 5E -- the FAQ writer may have been confused with the rule for learning spells from other spellbooks in 3E. There is a check for copying a spell from a scroll into a spellbook (see the DMG under 'Spell Scroll'), but this is not a situation that requires the use of this downtime activity, as consumable items can't be traded, and the downtime activity specifies that it only allows access to 'spellbooks'.

--
Pauper

Last edited:

abs

First Post
Basically, I know that I can trade items between two of my characters by spending downtime days, but what if I have two Wizards both at level 5. With the expenditure of gold and downtime, can they scribe from each others spellbook to share spells?

Sharing of spells... No...

Trading items... Yes... unless they changed the rules again...

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.

Remove ads