What are you reading? [March 2017]

Nellisir

Hero
The Dark Tower series can be split into two parts - pre-accident and post-accident (the accident being when SK was hit by a car while walking, and very nearly died. Took him ages to start writing again, and when he did he wanted to finish the Dark Tower series). The pre-accident books are pretty good. They never -quite- clicked for me, but still very worth reading. The best description I ever heard of them was "American" fantasy, not "European" fantasy. No kings, no ancient swords, etc, etc.
The post-accident books are pretty wild, but all of them needed a hard editing. King got way too indulgent with himself, and his editor let him get away with it. There was a massive increase in page count per book after the accident.

Overall, I actually have a hard time judging them. Stephen King, when he's on the top of his game, is simply amazing. The Dark Tower series is still a master at work, but....

As far as what to read...Skeleton Crew and Night Shift. Both short story collections; both will make it clear why he's considered a master of horror. I haven't read his stuff in quite a while, but the classics are always good - Carrie, Firestarter, and Christine were my favorites.

IMO, much of Stephen's gift is in how effortlessly he makes it. He makes telling a story look easy, and reading it almost effortless. There really aren't that many authors out there that can do that.

Edit: One benefit of King - he's got a lot of books out, and they're available everywhere. You can sample around.

http://www.rollingstone.com/culture/lists/readers-poll-the-10-best-stephen-king-books-20141105

Last edited:

One thing I forgot to mention was that Carrie has been the only book I refuse to read again,not due to any issues with the writing but just because it freaked me out so much.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
i think it had to do with how much malice (for lack of a better word) there is in the book between all the characters. The mother,the other students and then Carrie.

I hear you, sometimes a book just hits a trigger. I can't reread Game of Thrones now that I've had kids, I just get too angry at what happens to children in those books starting very early on.

While the series has increasingly gone off the rails, it’s hard to argue with Interview with a Vampire and The Vampire Lestat. Absolute Modern Gothic/Vampire classics.

I'm currently reading Interview With a Vampire again. I just finished reading the graphic novels for Mass Effect, and I'll start reading the Mass Effect novels I picked up soon.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads