What are you reading? [March 2017]

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
It's on my top books list so I'm far from unbiased, and I first read it decades ago when the tropes weren't so worn down. Though it's harder for me to read now that I have children (same reason I can't reread Game of Thrones). If the ends justify the means is explored and deconstructed in the book, not just taken as a given. And if you haven't already spoiled twists I suggest not reading any reviews or seeing the movie.
I've already seen the film.

Now that I'm passed 100 pages, I can say the book is also a power fantasy for kids who are bullied and like to play video games. Maybe it was special in 1985, but nowadays it seems pretty common.

The writing is fine. Card's prose is simple, clear, it avoids the opacity of other sci-fi novels. I do find myself cheering for Ender sometimes too. Aside from Card's politics in the novel (and real life), the problem is that I just do not like the plot and the characters. I'm suprised it is a classic.

BTW, if you do finish it, stop there. The other books in the series are something different, and reading Ender's Shadow last year (the same timeframe told from Bean's PoV) actively harmed my enjoyment of Ender's Game.
For other reasons, I've decided that it would take a tremendously good first book,thebest book, to get me to read more than the first book of a series. More often then not I felt cheated* by the following books in a series. Like the author builds is or her universe in the first novel and then stretches the plot over too many books just to make a buck. Discworld is intriguing because it isn't always the same characters of plot.

* It is a bit too strong a word.

How is it? I've never been a big King fan, but I've had the sneaking suspicion that an opinion formed a few decades back and not verified with my current reading habits may be holding me back from some good reads.

Do you have a favorite King to introduce people to his writing?

I have read IT and The Stand before. Enjoyed both. Otherwise I don't typically read "horror". Gunslinger was recommended to me by several friends and they stressed it was Sci-Fi, not horror. Just finished Gunslinger and have started the second (of seven) book in the series. Makes one think a bit but still early to say how good it is.

Recently learned it is being made into a movie this summer.

So far, I don't like the "hero" but this may be to create room for character development.

Just started The Drawing of Three by King. Starts with a salt water Chuul attack. How bad can the book be to start with a cool DnD monster?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
For other reasons, I've decided that it would take a tremendously good first book,thebest book, to get me to read more than the first book of a series. More often then not I felt cheated* by the following books in a series. Like the author builds is or her universe in the first novel and then stretches the plot over too many books just to make a buck. Discworld is intriguing because it isn't always the same characters of plot.

* It is a bit too strong a word.

(Below is just sharing my personal experience as well - you know what's right for you and I'm not attempting to say otherwise.)

Trilogies or other set length series which either are exactly as you say, or the last book is the best as everything comes together. Series on the other hand can get better as the world matures and the author gets better handle on the character's voice, or again as you said peter off in sequel-itis written just to have another book in the series. Or both - next couple of books after the first get better, but then it can't keep the steam going.

One of my favorite series (Jim Butcher's Dresden Files) is like this - the first book is the weakest - it's eh, good. They get better and by book 3 it's really popping. But now, however many books in, we've reached crescendos of escalation and the more recent books aren't drawing me in like the earlier ones.

I like staying in a world and with characters I like, so I enjoy sequels. Which is why the change in tone for the Ender's Game ones was so jarring.

Finished Ancillary Sword. I liked it – it wasn’t as intense as the first book, but it was still interesting to spend time in that world.

Now I’m on to re-reading the Odyssey (with a new-ish 2014 translation). Haven’t read that in ages.

Nellisir

Hero
Just finished Bridge of Birds and was delighted! The story structure with it's plentiful flashbacks and stories differed from what I regularly see in a way that really brought home the feel of the setting. I was discussing with my wife the reoccurring characters and effortless way they accomplished "side tasks" like gaining wealth, if it was part of the Chinese story cues, but then that actually ended up being a plot point. Actually, so much was plot points - masterful job of laying pipe for it suddenly to have meaning.

It's a very different book then Under Heaven. UH brought me to a level of how thinking differs, BoB engaged the whole story structure to do the same more immersively. I cheered for Number Ten Ox, but I cared for Shen Tai. I really enjoyed them both.

I am strongly resisting the urge to lift the "...and I have a slight flaw in my character." introduction wholesale for an RPG character. I don't do things like that, but it was so wonderfully apropos.
</sigh>

I've got a policy of disregarding any "Best Fantasy Books" list that doesn't feature either Tigana or Bridge of Birds, or preferably both. (The very best list ought to have Little, Big too....) There's a scene towards the end that always brings tears to my eyes. Not many books do that.

And yeah, "...and I have a slight flaw in my character" is right up there for character intro's. ;)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
Scalzi's latest book just came out yesterday and Vox Day is coincidentally publishing a book that is very similar to Scalzi. The author is named Johan Kalsi. http://io9.gizmodo.com/amazon-pulls-castalia-house-book-for-ripping-off-john-s-1793533638

ytjeswo4c5hrw37c913e.jpg

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
[MENTION=55961]Kramodlog[/MENTION] wow, those are remarkably similar. Like, what are the odds that was coincidental?

Just went to dig a bit and found this: http://io9.gizmodo.com/amazon-pulls-castalia-house-book-for-ripping-off-john-s-1793533638

A choice excerpt:
There’s a reason Beale made a cover that looks exactly like Scalzi’s, and it’s not to ride his coattails. This is all part of Beale’s longstanding feud (or obsession) with Scalzi, who hasn’t shied away from criticizing him in the past. Beale has long considered himself Scalzi’s literary rival, even though they’re on completely different levels of success. Beale has said and done questionable and offensive things to perpetuate that rivalry, including accusing Scalzi of rape because of a satirical article he wrote in 2012.

Remove ads