Take Your First Look At The Upcoming ALTERNITY RPG!

Later this year, Sasquatch Game Studios will be releasing the new version of the 1990s Alternity science fiction roleplaying game. It features a brand new system, and is designed by industry veterans Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Bill Slavicsek. The creators have kindly sent along a sneak preview of the upcoming game, which I'm excited to share with you right here. Next week, there will be a 50(ish) page free demo/playtest packet you can download, with a short adventure by Dave Noonan, another by Rich Baker, and a brief rules overview. For now, though, take a look at the preview below!

Later this year, Sasquatch Game Studios will be releasing the new version of the 1990s Alternity science fiction roleplaying game. It features a brand new system, and is designed by industry veterans Dave Noonan, Richard Baker, and Bill Slavicsek. The creators have kindly sent along a sneak preview of the upcoming game, which I'm excited to share with you right here. Next week, there will be a 50(ish) page free demo/playtest packet you can download, with a short adventure by Dave Noonan, another by Rich Baker, and a brief rules overview. For now, though, take a look at the preview below!

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 11.21.47.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-01 at 11.22.00.png

SaveSave

Reynard

Legend
Alternity was probably the greatest lost of the end of the TSR era and the pivot toward the d20 system. It had so much potential, with two great full fledged settings plus a decent (not great) implementation of another classic (Gamma World). It is too bad we never got to see what Alternity could have turned into or how Star*Drive would have developed into the sci-fi Forgotten Realms.

3ArmSally

First Post
I was a huge fan of the original Alternity and still use it when I want a detailed rule system that functions close to how the real world does. So far it looks like they're keeping that feel while building a combat game that has engrossing settings and locals that only get more exciting with the players' imaginations without relying on time consuming map building by the GM prior to play.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I see dice steps that seems to indicate it's the same base sustem at least, which is cool - i wonder if they'll keep the same stun/wounds/mortal system that I liked so much back then? I had a lot of fun with that system - i'm looking forward to this, even if I don't know if i'll get to play it outside of conventions. :) right now, between 5e, Pathfinder, and upcoming Starfinder, my room for new games is limited.

RedSiegfried

First Post
I remember looking at the original Alternity back in the day and thinking "Wow, this d20 thing would really work for D&D." Then again, the whole 90s are kind of hazy to me now so maybe D&D 3.0 was out already, or was it released in about 2000? My History check is fail today.

Dartavian

Explorer
Alternity as a system for the player was pretty awesome; for the GM it was a complete nightmare; to many -/+ steps made it a real pain to run, especially when dealing with multiple NPC's & Creatures. to .

EvilDwarf

Explorer
Well, I was VERY excited when I heard about Alternity's return, but I have to say my heart sank when I read "Security -d4" and "-2 steps on attack rolls." Alternity's original system was genius -at that time- and an obvious precursor to the d20/Difficulty Class system we have now. But, it was a precursor system that was, like I said, a brilliant flash of insight at the time, but has now been refined into a lean and mean resolution system. I'm disappointed that this precursor mechanic is coming back. So, if the legacy mechanic is intact, what's so new? Will it be "roll high is good?" Is that the revision to the new game mechanic? Inverting Alternity's original tables?

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads