Flashing Blades (use versatile weapon as though double)

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
When using a Versatile weapon two-handed in place of bonus damage you may treat the weapon as a double weapon.

This was inspired by both Aragorn II, son of Arathorn whose primary weapon was likely a bastard sword AND the classic samurai as a ranger. (Two weapon fighting was arguably entered in to the fantasy legends from such a samurai, but was historically just an exercise to train off hand use and was considered even by its originator just a training exercise not the optimal technique).

It doesnt seem worth a full feat to me but rather as a class option when one takes Ranger OR am I wrong?

Aragorn2.jpg

I admit that I typically feel like building Aragorn as a Warlord and it works fairly well... but to a fan of the original ranger this can bring it home. (perhaps multi-classing or hybriding a bravura warlord)

Last edited:

Instead of +1 damage I can Twin Strike with a longsword? That doesn't seem right. Aragorn isn't a dual-wielder. If a 4e player wants their character to be a dual-wielder, they should be choosing a class with a dual-wielding fighting style.

(As for Aragorn, a warlord with Ritual Caster seems to cover him fine. Lots of Skill Training or multi-classing with ranger for his essential Nature and Perception skills.)

MwaO

Adventurer
I think it would make a reasonable feat.
Versatile Strike Fighting
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Dex 15, proficient with a versatile weapon
Benefit: You can choose to treat the versatile weapon as a double weapon by using it two-handed. When you do so, it loses the versatile bonus to damage. As a double weapon, both ends of the weapon deal their normal damage. The primary end gains the stout property, and the secondary end gains the off-hand property. For more on double weapons, see Adventurer’s Vault, page 10.

Note: All strikes made are using the normal end of the weapon, not the hilt or shaft.

-------

I picked Dexterity 15 because that would make it more useful for Str/Dex Rangers over Str/Wis Rangers(or worse, Str/Wis Ranger|Clerics). That also makes it somewhat comparable with Staff Fighting - an option that turns a Quarterstaff into a +2 proficiency double weapon with the defensive property - that almost certainly has Reach as opposed not much of anything for Heavy Blades until Paragon.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think it would make a reasonable feat.
Versatile Strike Fighting
Heroic Tier
Prerequisite: Dex 15, proficient with a versatile weapon
Benefit: You can choose to treat the versatile weapon as a double weapon by using it two-handed. When you do so, it loses the versatile bonus to damage. As a double weapon, both ends of the weapon deal their normal damage. The primary end gains the stout property, and the secondary end gains the off-hand property. For more on double weapons, see Adventurer’s Vault, page 10.

Note: All strikes made are using the normal end of the weapon, not the hilt or shaft.

-------

I picked Dexterity 15 because that would make it more useful for Str/Dex Rangers over Str/Wis Rangers(or worse, Str/Wis Ranger|Clerics). That also makes it somewhat comparable with Staff Fighting - an option that turns a Quarterstaff into a +2 proficiency double weapon with the defensive property - that almost certainly has Reach as opposed not much of anything for Heavy Blades until Paragon.

Nods good to note the parallel with Staff Fighting..

Remove ads