Check Out The First 3 Pages Of TALES FROM THE YAWNING PORTAL

Tales From the Yawning Portal is about a month away, which means the previews are starting to appear across the internet. First up is the first three pages of the book - the introduction, which summarises the included adventures (The Sunless Citadel, The Forge of Fury, The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, White Plume Mountain, Dead in That, Against the Giants, and Tomb of Horrors) with basic details about The Yawning Portal itself. Enjoy!

Tales From the Yawning Portal is about a month away, which means the previews are starting to appear across the internet. First up is the first three pages of the book - the introduction, which summarises the included adventures (The Sunless Citadel, The Forge of Fury, The Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan, White Plume Mountain, Dead in That, Against the Giants, and Tomb of Horrors) with basic details about The Yawning Portal itself. Enjoy!

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 14.16.28.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 14.16.38.png

Screen Shot 2017-03-06 at 14.16.48.png

You can download those three pages as a PDF from WotC here.

The Tomb isn't filled with monsters. In fact has almost no combat encounters. It's more like a deadly trap filled puzzle box than a series of fights.

If you want to know who the big bad is, take a look at the front cover of the DMG. That's him before he gets an upgrade. Tomb is post-upgrade. I have don't want to spoil it for players so SPOILER tag.

In the version I played, He's a Demilich but more and less than that. Mummy Lord is weak chips compared to this.

It's the top of the stack, highest level dungeon. I think they said either 13th or 15th level appropriate.
So with level 8, you might be looking at a few dead players.

And by "few", he means "many"...

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
From the Tomb of Horrors Preview they continue to acknowledge Greyhawk. There's a sidebar where they list the original six locations Gygax provided, before listing off locations for Eberron, Dragonlance, and the Realms. The actual text of the adventure outside the sidebar is location neutral, at no point acknowledging there's a "canonical" location for the tomb.

Could you point me to the specific section of the preview you reference? Cause I sure don't see it.

This also appears to kill the (admittedly unsupported) speculation that the Rod of Seven Parts would somehow be an officially included meta-narrative to tie everything together.

Not terribly disappointed that didn't pan out, as it seemed pretty thin and contrived, even by D&D standards. Like the Loc-Nar in "Heavy Metal"...

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
Not terribly disappointed that didn't pan out, as it seemed pretty thin and contrived, even by D&D standards. Like the Loc-Nar in "Heavy Metal"...

I think it could have been handled well enough... it almost certainly would not have been, but it could have. I think people (myself included) were hoping for some kind of meta-narrative to tie everything together and were grasping at straws. Short of anything official, I might still lean that way myself if I ever have the opportunity to run it.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
For anyone who has experience with Tomb of Horrors, I have some questions.

Right now in my LMoP campaign, the PCs are approaching level 8 and at one point they used a bean from a Bag of Beans and summoned up a pyramid (fortunately it was in an out of the way place on the road to Conyberry).

I've been thinking that Tomb of Horrors might be a good dungeon for the pyramid when they decide to tackle it, but know next to nothing about it. Basically if it will fit the bill, as it were, then I'm definitely going to pick this up (heck, I probably will anyway).

Is the Tomb filled with undead?
What is the BBEG like? (He said hoping for mummy lord.)
The excerpt says it is a high level dungeon. How high?
Can it be easily ported as a pyramid? What is the general shape?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan is either set in a pyramid, or I set it in one, when I ran it years ago (I can't remember.)
You might have to bump it up in power, and I can't remember a lot of undead, and it's a bit weird (being based on Aztec culture, I believe.)

But it could possibly suit.

flametitan

Explorer
Ahh. So it's not in the preview this entire thread is referencing. I didn't miss it.

I honestly don't even bother with the WotC website much since they took down the forums. I never would have seen that.

So thank you for the link!

Yeah, my initial post assumed familiarity with the Dragon+ thread from a little while back, where the preview originated. No worries.

Valdier

Explorer
For anyone who has experience with Tomb of Horrors, I have some questions.

Right now in my LMoP campaign, the PCs are approaching level 8 and at one point they used a bean from a Bag of Beans and summoned up a pyramid (fortunately it was in an out of the way place on the road to Conyberry).

I've been thinking that Tomb of Horrors might be a good dungeon for the pyramid when they decide to tackle it, but know next to nothing about it. Basically if it will fit the bill, as it were, then I'm definitely going to pick this up (heck, I probably will anyway).

Is the Tomb filled with undead?
What is the BBEG like? (He said hoping for mummy lord.)
The excerpt says it is a high level dungeon. How high?
Can it be easily ported as a pyramid? What is the general shape?

Any insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe look for:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_City_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

as a conversion to 5e or do the conversion yourself easy enough (upping the power levels)?

Also 4e Pyramid of Shadows is roughly the same level range.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Wow. Reading though the excerpt here and the Tomb of Horrors preview, all I can say is: these better not be final proofs. There are typos and editing mishaps galore.

I guess a better way to frame that is: I will definitely be waiting until I see a finished copy before plunking down money for this one. I can wait a printing or three if I have to.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads