Noble background Retainers. What can they be?

Undrhil

Explorer
If I create a Noble character with the Retainers feature, what can the retainers be? Do I define them? What limitations are there for this? I know they won't follow me into combat and all that, but can I have one be a healer or a masseuse for after-combat massages, etc?

KahlessNestor

Adventurer
If I create a Noble character with the Retainers feature, what can the retainers be? Do I define them? What limitations are there for this? I know they won't follow me into combat and all that, but can I have one be a healer or a masseuse for after-combat massages, etc?
They can be anything your DM allows. Usually Commoners stats are used.

Sent from my SM-G900P using EN World mobile app

ccs

41st lv DM
I am AFB atm, but IIRC the retainers have the stats of hirelings from the PHB.

It doesn't specifically state what their stats are, just that they are commoners & won't follow you into dangerous situations or fight for you.
Examples given if your a night: squire, groom, & a servant. The squire is a noble instead of a commmoner.

You should definitely consult with your DM before taking this background.

Undrhil

Explorer
It doesn't specifically state what their stats are, just that they are commoners & won't follow you into dangerous situations or fight for you.
Examples given if your a night: squire, groom, & a servant. The squire is a noble instead of a commmoner.

You should definitely consult with your DM before taking this background.

Well, here I am consulting with the Adventurer's League since that is technically the DM for the modules. Individual table DMs can't really answer it since that would mean one time I could have a squire, a groom, and a servant and the next time, I have to have a jester and two servants or some garbage.

Anthraxus

Explorer
I've seen them used in-game as messengers, helping the knight(Paladin) don/doff his armor in the morning/night, or announcing the knight. As long as they're a non-combatant, and weak(commoner), you should be ok.

Boaty

First Post
I used the Knight variant of the Noble background - his retainers are his Squire (Arthur), his minstrel (Bragi), and his groom (Marshal). The groom had to use coconut shells until my knight could afford a horse.
How did he afford coconut shells?

Remove ads