D&D 4E Optimized Monk Builds: 4e

MwaO

Adventurer
I do not understand what you mean by "Boosted +2 for Ki Weapon's property." The superior implement Mighty ki focus adds a bonus to attack reflex and empowered crit. Whither the +2 damage?

Flurry of Blows doesn't use a weapon. Merely holding a Ki Weapon grants +2 damage to Flurry of Blows - you don't need to make the attack with it, because again, Flurry of Blows isn't using the weapon because no weapon keyword.

Druthlen

First Post
What about using Blistering flourish and Light the fire. The effect of the light the fire they take cha damage if they start their turn in the aura. Clearly they are still vulnerable but is that effect considered an attack? does it do extra damage from blistering flourish?

The most enjoyable monk I ever played had some magic staff that lets you, whenever you would shift, instead teleport that distance. I don't know how optimized it was, but I felt awesome whenever I was able to teleport through lines of enemies, or position myself for some weird flurries.

MwaO

Adventurer
What about using Blistering flourish and Light the fire. The effect of the light the fire they take cha damage if they start their turn in the aura. Clearly they are still vulnerable but is that effect considered an attack? does it do extra damage from blistering flourish?

Light the Fire is a melee attack. Aura does damage — damage from a melee attack. So yes, Blistering Flourish adds to that, it adds to Flurry of Blows(making it a fire power), it adds to Lion's Den's extra turn damage, etc…

So if you had a way of instituting vulnerability, you can add a lot of damage in...

MwaO

Adventurer
The most enjoyable monk I ever played had some magic staff that lets you, whenever you would shift, instead teleport that distance. I don't know how optimized it was, but I felt awesome whenever I was able to teleport through lines of enemies, or position myself for some weird flurries.

Staff of the Traveler. Though usually, if you can shift X squares, teleporting X squares instead shouldn't be a huge advantage. Particularly because you need to still be able to shift.

masteraleph

Explorer
Been a while since I’ve looked at this thread. A couple of questions-

1) I presume there’s no reason the level 1/4 monk can’t be continued into the Radiant Fist one, other than swapping a few abilities around?

2) How would you expand the Radiant Fist monk towards higher levels? I presume that Path of the Blade substitutes for Circling Predator. Would you also throw in Death’s Chilled Embrace, or do the damage types become too annoying?

3) The Radiant Fist monk has a fair amount of damage done in drips and drabs- how do you deal with resistance?

MwaO

Adventurer
Been a while since I’ve looked at this thread. A couple of questions-

1) I presume there’s no reason the level 1/4 monk can’t be continued into the Radiant Fist one, other than swapping a few abilities around?

2) How would you expand the Radiant Fist monk towards higher levels? I presume that Path of the Blade substitutes for Circling Predator. Would you also throw in Death’s Chilled Embrace, or do the damage types become too annoying?

3) The Radiant Fist monk has a fair amount of damage done in drips and drabs- how do you deal with resistance?

1) Yes.

2+3) Yes. In general, don't worry about the damage types. Just keep trying to add additional damage up. And if you're worried about resistance, just pick a typed energy weapon to convert — then you either have mix of types or specific one.

Remove ads