Shoutout to HERO 6e Fans! What are you playing/running?

TreChriron

Adventurer
Supporter
Picked up HERO 6e after a long time away from the game and I'm super impressed with the changes. I wanted to see who out there in ENWorld is running or playing? What genres? What settings?

I'm thinking of converting the Scarred Lands setting and likely D20 Monkey's (Brian Patterson's) Karthune when It reaches my grubby little hands. :-D I also have a sci-fantasy setting I've been working on for ages that HERO would be a perfect fit for.

Dear Mods: Why is HERO only listed in Super Hero category? I can see the Champions thing, but HERO is a generic system useful for many genres. Maybe HERO without the Champions could be added to the general RPG category?

Last edited:

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
It's been a while since I've had a good HERO game. I think last I played was FREd, not even 5 Revised (reFREd?). Though I played earlier editions I think I spent most of my time with the Big Blue Book. I've played it exclusively for supers though so I can understand how ENWorld can put it there, that was it's first iteration.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Picked up HERO 6e after a long time away from the game and I'm super impressed with the changes. I wanted to see who out there in ENWorld is running or playing? What genres? What settings?
I finished a Hero 5th (Champions!) campaign c2009, and haven't done much with it since. I'm really more a fan of the BBB over FRED and haven't really given 6th a chance. The way skills ballooned over the years didn't help.

I've used Hero to run and/or play: supers, pulp, off-the-wall science-fantasy (actually kinda a long campaign for how far off the wall it was), conventional sci-fi, conventional fantasy, lampshaded D&D-style fantasy, James-Bond-style spy action, a rip-off of the TV show 'The Invaders' (in color!), and cyberpunk (the genre, not the game specific setting of the R.Tal. game).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Not currently playing anything in any system. :(

But HERO is my favorite system, bar none. The best campaign I ever ran was in 4th: a supers game set in a 1900 as depicted in Space:1889, with liberal seasoning from Verne, Wells, Wild Wild West, etc.

Once upon a time, I ran a "D&D" FantHERO campaign in which players were allowed to run whichever edition's version of a class or race they wanted (from 3.5 and before).

I've got a work in progress for a campaign set in the wold of M:tG, too.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I sometimes use HERO as a way to model concepts- character builds, powers, etc.- that I want to use in other, less familiar systems. Then I use that as a template.

Most recently, a pulp science-fiction game (space travel in 1936, with lots of Nazis). Game went on hiatus a few months ago, hope to restart it soon.

Hyper-Man

First Post
Dear Mods: Why is HERO only listed in Super Hero category? I can see the Champions thing, but HERO is a generic system useful for many genres. Maybe HERO without the Champions could be added to the general RPG category?

Seconded,

HERO is most famous for Champions but it is as much a generic system as its cousin GURPS.

:)
HM

Last edited:

D

dco

We are now playing other things but I have a Monster Hunter International campaign in the works + the published adventures and a Ptolus conversion.

aramis erak

Legend
It's been a while since I've had a good HERO game. I think last I played was FREd, not even 5 Revised (reFREd?). Though I played earlier editions I think I spent most of my time with the Big Blue Book. I've played it exclusively for supers though so I can understand how ENWorld can put it there, that was it's first iteration.

FRED is Fifth Revised EDition.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases