ZEITGEIST The Sounds of Zeitgeist

SanjMerchant

Explorer
I thought it might be fun to compare notes as to what kinds of sounds people think of with regards to characters or events in the Zeitgeist Adventure Path, whether it's something you used, something you kept in mind to inspire, or just something that occurred to you as you read a particular part. Could be anything: what you imagine as a character's theme song, how you imagined a particular character's voice, an evocative sound effect.

To get the ball rolling, a few of my own examples:

The Battle for Reida has Battle to the Death from Final Fantasy VI playing in the background (it's the music that plays when you fight, among other things, Atma Weapon). The synth melody is both squirmy and alien enough for the Voice of Rot, and the more conventional orchestral parts are suitably heroic. Plus, it's a big, climactic fight, so you need something bombastic, no?

Ashima Shimtu's voice sounds just like the Gozer from the original Ghostbusters. No real reason, other than that the artwork for her paints her as very obviously inhuman (at least physically), so why not give her a voice to match?

Isobel's idle humming, to me, channels a lot of late romantic era opera (and hey, she's a mail order bride for the highest-end clients, so schooling in things like fine art and opera is probably part of her training). Lots to choose from, of course (The Rusalka's song to the moon from Rusalka, "Senza mamma" from Suor Angelica, "Vissi d'arte" from Tosca, "Amami, Alfredo" from La Traviata, to name a few), although I think I think "Tu che di gel sei cinta" from Turandot might take the cake: it's a song that incorporates both longing for something she can never have (although for Isobel, it's freedom rather than a prince's love) and a giant raised middle finger at her captor. Heck, you even get the bonus that Elanor keeps shushing her not because she objects to the humming per se, but because she's educated enough to understand the insult.

(Yes, opera geeks, I realize those are all, like, a century or more after our own world was at the tech level displayed in Zeitgeist, but I go with what I know best.)

So, what sounds does the AP bring out for everyone else?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases