D&D 5E Appropriating the Sword Coast

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The 4e Neverwinter Campaign Guide is placed near LMNOP and has plot threads that still work post-Sundering. It is also designed for lower-level PCs so the players won't be overwhelmed.

Satyrn

First Post
. . . I've been considering the different official campaigns (ToD, PotA, OotA, SKT and even CoS) but none of them really appeal to me . . . The opposite of this, of course, would be hardcore sandboxing. I want to strike a balance between these two . . .
Several of those campaigns are rather sandboxy, so you could probably combine them all (maybe even CoS) into one large sandbox dropping the main plots.

The 4e Neverwinter Campaign Guide is placed near LMNOP and has plot threads that still work post-Sundering. It is also designed for lower-level PCs so the players won't be overwhelmed.

It's one of the best setting books ever released, and I keep going back to it. Can't recommend it enough.

Also, when these kind of threads pop up, I always pimp this: http://my-realms.blogspot.dk/2014/07/starter-set-sandbox-0-introduction.html
It's for expanding the starter set, but check out the whole blog. It's gold.

reelo

Hero
It's one of the best setting books ever released, and I keep going back to it. Can't recommend it enough.

Also, when these kind of threads pop up, I always pimp this: http://my-realms.blogspot.dk/2014/07/starter-set-sandbox-0-introduction.html
It's for expanding the starter set, but check out the whole blog. It's gold.
Thanks for that link! While I might not transpose it 1/1 to my campaign, I concur that it is a goldmine of information and questhooks! Also, need to get a hold of that 4e book I guess.
And SKT has that nice sandbox-chapter which I'm mining for ideas currently.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using EN World mobile app

CapnZapp

Legend
I've been considering the different official campaigns (ToD, PotA, OotA, SKT and even CoS) but none of them really appeal to me.

Say, after the events at Phandalin the party wants to check out Triboar? Mere of Dead Men? Neverwinter Woods? Leilon? Red Larch? I want to be able to provide lots of diverse quests, but I also want to *slowly* design a grander scheme of things, so that when the party *does* hit lvl 12 or so, things get more epic.
Both Princes of the Apocalypse and Storm King's Thunder () provides good sandboxy missions that can be decoupled from the main quest. They're set in pretty much the same area (traditionally known as the "Savage Frontier" but I'd just call it the Dessarin river valley area)

If you're up for playtest-level material there are several D&D Next modules with even more of this kind of stuff.

If you want official current edition stuff, that is.

JeffB

Legend
M.T. Black,who is a member here has several adventures and collections of adventures in the region. They are well done, and IME some of the very few good adventures on DMsG.

transtemporal

Explorer
Is Scourge of the Sword Coast available on PDF? If so, I'm surprised no one mentioned it. It has the same "feel" as LMoP but "bigger".

Also, "Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle" is pretty decent. It was a 5e playtest for levels 1-10 set in and around Daggerford. Just be aware Perkins must have been feeling particularly mercurial when he wrote this as there are quite a few "save or die" situations.

"Dead in Thay" seems to be a higher level continuation of that series of events.

Remove ads