D&D 5E Let's discuss the Mystic v.3

MarkB

Legend
Psionic Investigation (Order of the Awakened):

"You also learn of any events that have occurred within 20 feet of the object within the past hour. The events you perceive unfold from the object’s perspective. You see and hear such events as if you were there, but can’t use other senses."

So are the events unfolding in real time? So my mystic is standing there holding a helmet trying to figure out which passage the orcs went through 5 minutes ago, and it takes 55 minutes to get to that part?

It says you gain that information if you focus on the object for 10 minutes, so that's how long it takes, even if the object was involved in a whole hour's worth of events.

Think of it more as those events being written into your memory. Once you've used the ability, you remember those events as though you were there, and don't need to play them out in real time in your head to know what happened, any more than it would take you two hours to recollect the events of a movie you'd recently watched.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think that the Martial proficiency is so that no-one can say "but you are not proficient with your own soul knife", and the soul knife is a martial to prevent it from stacking with the monk (possible d8+dex dual weapon attacks at level 2 would have been pretty nice.)
That does make a certain amount of sense, but I feel like they could have just said something like you are proficient with your soul blade, a martial weapon that deals 1d8 radiant and has the light and finesse properties.

Lanliss

Explorer
That does make a certain amount of sense, but I feel like they could have just said something like you are proficient with your soul blade, a martial weapon that deals 1d8 radiant and has the light and finesse properties.

This is play test material, and a lot of it at that, so they cannot be expected to have all of the wording laid out perfectly. I agree that they could have picked better words to get their point across, but don't think it is that bad.

Another thing of note, Rogues can now dual-wield a d8 finesse weapon with no feat required. THAT could be scary.

plisnithus8

Adventurer
The Psionic Mastery class feature that you get at level 11 DOES allow you to concentrate on more than one discipline provided you only use your Special psi points to do it, you CANNOT do this with your normal pool of Psi points.

I'm not sure your answer responds to my question which concerned the fact that Ogre or Giant Form melee buffs fall if you are damaged and lose concentration.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
This is play test material, and a lot of it at that, so they cannot be expected to have all of the wording laid out perfectly. I agree that they could have picked better words to get their point across, but don't think it is that bad.

Another thing of note, Rogues can now dual-wield a d8 finesse weapon with no feat required. THAT could be scary.

The d8 I think would be fine, I don't see much difference between a d6 and d8, especially when the real damage is coming from the additional sneak attack. The scary part is all of the nonmagical weapon resistance that will get bypassed by rogue/soul-knife's radiant damage.

I really want to create a protoss warrior. I wish I still had my Starcraft adaptation notes that I'd made a few years back.

Lanliss

Explorer
I'm not sure your answer responds to my question which concerned the fact that Ogre or Giant Form melee buffs fall if you are damaged and lose concentration.

The answer would be "yes", because they work just like spells in regard to concentration (except for those special points mentioned above, which have no bearing on your question). So, you take damage, and add con mod to your roll to avoid losing concentration, though I would change my proficiency in Wis saving throws to Con if I was using a build that required concentration checks.

Gadget

Adventurer
I agree that making psionics pretty much equal magic is the best option. Otherwise you get things like: "Sorry, your nondetection spell only foils divination magic not my mystic power x" and probably a dozen other similar things. Besides, you can't counterspell psionics as there are no V, S, M components; it's like having subtle spell for free. Having the Wizard dispel the Wu-jen's Fire Elemental is not really that bad of thing.

Multi-concentration is not necessarily a bad thing. It is a little tricky to balance, but the Mystic does not really get the good high level stuff (like level 5-9 spells), so it may balance out due to being designed with multiple concentration in mind.

Belltent

First Post
One of my bigger issues that I don't see getting mentioned is the Immortal. They are so MAD that even the monk blanched at it. I'm also not sold on the assumed analogue of the "barbarian mystic." They wade into the fray and attack with daggers? Throw lower than preferred DCs at baddies? I can only think to put Crown of Rage (not even an Immortal discipline) on and try to stay within 5 feet of all baddies and spend your points shielding/resisting/healing.

Lanliss

Explorer
Here is a bit I would like to add to the discussion, and something that should be considered for the purposes of playtesting.

What do you gain when you multiclass into Mystic? what Proficiencies/Armor, and can you still use their ability to change their Wisdom proficiency, to change one of your own? Could a Barb swap their Strength prof for Cha, or Int?

Belltent

First Post
Here is a bit I would like to add to the discussion, and something that should be considered for the purposes of playtesting.

What do you gain when you multiclass into Mystic? what Proficiencies/Armor, and can you still use their ability to change their Wisdom proficiency, to change one of your own? Could a Barb swap their Strength prof for Cha, or Int?

I'm sure you've heard this a million times, but these UAs just aren't balanced for MCing yet. I'd be willing to bet they don't even consider it when designing so as to not restrict themselves. That being said, the only Prof they get is light armor...so light armor, I guess. The Strength of Mind thing will obviously need to be addressed....maybe if you aren't proficient in WIS save you just don't get it. It's a cool feature, so I'm glad it's in there in the first place, even if they don't have the kinks worked out.

Remove ads