Essentials : What to Use and What to Lose? Can of Worms

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Or even what can be fixed...

• Now, giving everyone taxpertise feats (opinions on which ones?) for free seems obvious basically just to remove the choice loss (I see with the problem of feats being too damn good. )
  • Can I use the hunter.. or cannibalize it for a real Martial Controller ranger build. At some level I would just like the class consistency of the original game
  • Which essentials mage spells are problematically good power upgrades? or is it just because of the class features (could those just be nerfed sensibly?)
  • Some of the new spells like toading are a blast as is the shadow spell which minionizes an enemy at death

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
Use: Rules Compendium (just ignore a few bits, like item rarity and stick with the 4e item daily limits & milestones); Monster Vault; the three Tile Sets, and maybe the DM Kit. Plus some portions (especially fluff portions, and, I suppose Themes & Races were mostly OK) of Heroes of the Feywild and Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and the Dungeoneer guide with the Goblin & Kobold races.

Lose: Heroes of the Fallen Land, Forgotten Kingdom, & Shadow ('cept maybe for the Revenant, which is kinda not lame). All the lame "bringing into alignment with the classic version" errata that preceded & followed Essentials. The classes in HotFw & HotEC other than the Skald, Berserker, and maybe Elemental Sorcerer.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Now, giving everyone taxpertise feats (opinions on which ones?) for free seems obvious basically just to remove the choice loss
The PH2 ones, I suppose. Or you could just toss 'em. I've played epic without them, and it still works.
Can I use the hunter.. or cannibalize it for a real Martial Controller ranger build. At some level I would just like the class consistency of the original game
The Hunter is surprisingly not crap (it's crap, but it's surprisingly less ineffective than I expected), mechanically, though it's still pointlessly inconsistent, and redundant with the Seeker already in the game.

Which essentials mage spells are problematically good power upgrades?
Most to all of them. Any others are probably not worth the hassle of mentioning. Well, Witchbolt, it certainly wasn't overpowered, and people just liked the Sith Lightning image.

Some of the new spells like toading are a blast as is the shadow spell which minionizes an enemy at death
OK, the Witch's Polymorph wasn't completely unreasonable. Just remember that the Witch is a Wizard, so retaining it gives all those spells to all wizards.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
The Hunter is surprisingly not crap (it's crap, but it's surprisingly less ineffective than I expected), mechanically, though it's still pointlessly inconsistent, and redundant with the Seeker already in the game.

I was impressed by reading it but have no experience with it (is it another holds out fine at low levels but fades with age martial type to conform to old stereotypes class?)... I want to actively build a William Tell martial controller ranger using trick shots entirely no magic.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Use: Rules Compendium (just ignore a few bits, like item rarity and stick with the 4e item daily limits & milestones);
Thinking of implementing my idea of spend a HS to use item daily more often... it would apply to GMTs as well and sort of make them feel integrated with Martial Practices.
Monster Vault; the three Tile Sets, and maybe the DM Kit. Plus some portions (especially fluff portions, and, I suppose Themes & Races were mostly OK) of Heroes of the Feywild and Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and the Dungeoneer guide with the Goblin & Kobold races.
Do love Heroes of the Feywild and most of the themes (not actually familiar with the rest)

Lose: Heroes of the Fallen Land, Forgotten Kingdom, & Shadow ('cept maybe for the Revenant, which is kinda not lame). All the lame "bringing into alignment with the classic version" errata that preceded & followed Essentials. The classes in HotFw & HotEC other than the Skald, Berserker, and maybe Elemental Sorcerer.

Revenant seems somewhat to inspire. So "Skald, Berserker, and maybe Elemental Sorcerer." are not too bad and the Hunter is also but redundent...

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Use: Rules Compendium (just ignore a few bits, like item rarity and stick with the 4e item daily limits & milestones); Monster Vault; the three Tile Sets, and maybe the DM Kit. Plus some portions (especially fluff portions, and, I suppose Themes & Races were mostly OK) of Heroes of the Feywild and Heroes of the Elemental Chaos, and the Dungeoneer guide with the Goblin & Kobold races.

definately keep the warlock overhaul from that same period, though.

Remove ads