Terrain aid query for public square combat encounter

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Is this in one of major city-state arenas? If so, there are good descriptions of each arena's specifics in 2E's Complete Gladiator's Handbook and 4E's Blood & Sand. Those could give you some inspiration.

Randomthoughts

Adventurer
A few suggestions I haven't seen mentioned:

- Sand. Arena floors are covered in sand, which could be used to blind (the wizard? Demon?) or creative use of powers could create a sandstorm providing cover from the archer?

- set the arena on fire. Perhaps it breaks out naturally, or is set by the archer or PCs? It's a trope but a fun one.

- I'm thinking that the wizard would want to create physical barriers to isolate themselves with their target. I'm thinking large columns a la Attack of the Clones arena scene that could be toppled?

- Another vote for allowing PCs to engage the archer. Have to consider scale though. Arenas can be massive so the archer could play more of a sniper role.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

darkbard

Legend
If you look at the article on arenas in the Dragon Annual that came out (late 2009?), I think it has ideas about making a crowd a hazard or a skill challenge, which might be useful too.

Is this in one of major city-state arenas? If so, there are good descriptions of each arena's specifics in 2E's Complete Gladiator's Handbook and 4E's Blood & Sand. Those could give you some inspiration.

Time to hit the books! Thanks, fellas!

darkbard

Legend
Another option is maybe you CAN'T deal with the archer, so instead you have to use better tactics to maintain cover against him.

Excellent point, though one largely out of DM control. (I mean I could rule via fiat that the archer is completely inaccessible, but where's the fun in that.) I would rather it come via player decision: a tough decision at that (try to protect the speaker vs. defeat the summoner/demon vs. go after the archer).

That said, should the PCs choose to ignore the archer (at least in early stages of combat), what terrain features and tactics, etc. might provide sufficient cover, considering the parameters I've thus laid out? (I.e., what should I make sure to include in the scene to ensure some possibilities for the players?)

Excellent point, though one largely out of DM control. (I mean I could rule via fiat that the archer is completely inaccessible, but where's the fun in that.) I would rather it come via player decision: a tough decision at that (try to protect the speaker vs. defeat the summoner/demon vs. go after the archer).

That said, should the PCs choose to ignore the archer (at least in early stages of combat), what terrain features and tactics, etc. might provide sufficient cover, considering the parameters I've thus laid out? (I.e., what should I make sure to include in the scene to ensure some possibilities for the players?)

Well, the crowd certainly could (another choice, do I use the girl with the baby for cover, or not...).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases