Tressyms and Find Familiar

Undrhil

Explorer
If I have found a Tressym during my adventuring career and have been allowed to have that as an option for Find Familiar now, does the Tressym stay as a Beast or does its typing change to fey, fiend, or celestial as per Find Familiar?

On a similar vein, the Pact of the Chain Warlock can choose from Imp, Sprite, etc as options for Find Familiar: can you change the type of those creatures as per Find Familiar? A Celestial Imp, for instance?

Pauper

That guy, who does that thing.
My understanding is that the cert that allows you to use a tressym as a familiar explains how it interacts with Find Familiar -- if you didn't get a cert, check with your DM.

Simply finding a tressym in a hardcover adventure is not sufficient to enable you to gain one as a familiar, as per the FAQ ("I Can Haz A Tressym/Gazer/Dire Goose Familiar?", p.6)

--
Pauper

abs

First Post
According to the PHB, a familiar is a fey, fiend or celestial instead of a beast. If the creature chosen is not a beast, then it is the type listed in its Monster entry. If I remember, the tresses is a beast, therefore it's type should be swappable. A little demon cat or a angelic cat with wings isn't really that game changing...

Undrhil

Explorer
According to the PHB, a familiar is a fey, fiend or celestial instead of a beast. If the creature chosen is not a beast, then it is the type listed in its Monster entry. If I remember, the tresses is a beast, therefore it's type should be swappable. A little demon cat or a angelic cat with wings isn't really that game changing...

I was more thinking that if I could keep it as a Beast, then I could take three levels of Ranger and *also* get it as my Animal Companion as a Beast Master Ranger :) But that's ok. I rather like the idea of an Angelic cat that knocks things off furniture and glares at me reproachfully as I scold it! Lol!

abs

First Post
I was more thinking that if I could keep it as a Beast, then I could take three levels of Ranger and *also* get it as my Animal Companion as a Beast Master Ranger :) But that's ok. I rather like the idea of an Angelic cat that knocks things off furniture and glares at me reproachfully as I scold it! Lol!

Technically, you have to select fiend, celestial or fey instead of fey, at least by the strictest interpretation of the rules as written. However, I don't know very many DMs that wouldn't allow a familiar to remain a beast. In my experience, it's doesn't represent a game breaking request; I would allow it in most cases.

Remove ads