D&D 4E Get WotC 4e's Online Character Builder to work or get a sub

evil homer

First Post
I can report a couple of things
Windows ten + Silverlight + IE works. Not firefox, not Chrome, not Edge just IE. Not really a techy guy so I can't explain it but I don't think silverlight plays well with the other browsers. IE is installed with your default Win10 install. Just search for Internet Explorer and it will show.

I used Firefox until the update borked Silverlight. Now I'm back to Safari (Mac). One silver lining of going back to two browsers is that Safari runs the OCB faster on my machine than Firefox did.

hugodlr

Explorer
Just FYI for everyone - only IE + Silverlight will run the online character builder. The other browsers won't run Silverlight anymore, so while you can log in with them and access the Compendium, you can't access the character creator or monster editor.

Having said that, I thought my account was already set up as a Wiz account, but now I'm not sure :) I can log in and access the compendium, but the character creator gives me an unspecified error, and the monster builder won't load at all. I'll give it a day and try again tomorrow night :)

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

darkbard

Legend
Having said that, I thought my account was already set up as a Wiz account, but now I'm not sure :) I can log in and access the compendium, but the character creator gives me an unspecified error, and the monster builder won't load at all.

I ran into this exact problem with IE over the weekend, but, as you speculate, it fixed itself the next day.

UPDATE: Aaaand I'm running into it again, after two days without problems. Some have suggested that IE's interface with the tools is spotty, so perhaps that's what we're running into.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I ran into this exact problem with IE over the weekend, but, as you speculate, it fixed itself the next day.

UPDATE: Aaaand I'm running into it again, after two days without problems. Some have suggested that IE's interface with the tools is spotty, so perhaps that's what we're running into.
I'm get'n this one, now, too. I suppose it could conceivably have something to do with the recent account migration, that being final today.

hugodlr

Explorer
Joy of joys! I'm getting out of work late tonight, but I'll try to log in when I get home and see what happens. At least I know it's not just me!

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

darkbard

Legend
Joy of joys! I'm getting out of work late tonight, but I'll try to log in when I get home and see what happens. At least I know it's not just me!

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Well, after 22 hours of not being able to get the CB to load on IE, it's finally working again. Hopefully you're finding the same, hugodlr. And that it lasts for us both (and others, too!).

hugodlr

Explorer
I tried logging in late last night and was able to get in with no problem. I've thought about looking for the downloadable CB, but I tried that (2 or 3 years ago? somewhere in that time frame) and I remember having issues getting it running well . . . though I would love to homebrew a hexblade hybrid, so there is that . . . :) In any case, I'm happy that I'm able to get back in. Hope everyone else got in as well!

Blessings & Peace,
Hugo

Remove ads