D&D 5E Monster Creation rules: Anyone else not find them particularly helpful.

I was discussing stuff with [MENTION=94725]Luz[/MENTION] and he suggested a 3e monster called a Famine Spirit kinda fit the bill. If nothing else the picture is great

I found a 5e conversation curtsey of http://sefotron.blogspot.ca/2015/05/famine-spirit-cr-19-medium-undead.html?m=1

Famine Spirit
Medium Undead
(Chaotic Evil)

A.C. 18 (Natural Armour)
Hp: 262 (21d8+168) [189 - 336]
Speed: 60'

Str: 16 (+3) Dex: 11 (+0) Con: 26 (+8) Int:14 (+2) Wis: 15 (+2) Cha: 15 (+2)

Saving Throws: Constitution +14, Dexterity +6, Wisdom +8

Skills: Perception +8
Damage Resistances: Necrotic
Damage Immunity: Poison
Condition Immunity: Poisoned, Exhausted, Diseased, Unconscious
Senses: Darkvision 60'; Scent, See Invisible; Passive Perception: 18
Language: Spoken in life
CR: 19 (22,000 xp)

Aura of Pain: Creatures that start their turn within this aura are afflicted as if exposed to a Symbol of Pain unless they make a D.C. 16 Constitution saving throw. Once affected, they are Incapacitated for 1 minute (no save). Those that save against this effect are immune to that specific Spirit's aura for 24 hours.

Legendary Resistance: 3/day, when the Spirit would fail a saving throw, it may choose to succeed instead.

It Likes the Juice: The Spirit gains advantage on attack rolls against living enemies at 50% or fewer hit points.

Vorpal Bite: If the Spirit rolls a natural 20 with its Bite attack against a Large or smaller enemy, it removes their head, most likely causing instant death.

Scent: The Spirit has advantage on Perception checks that allow it to use its keen sense of smell.

See Invisible: The Spirit is under a permanent See Invisibility effect, which cannot be dispelled.

Create Spawn: In the rare cases that the Spirit does not consume a fallen foe, it rises as a Famine Spirit in 1d3 days unless their remains are blessed with aProtection from Good and Evil spell.

Multiattack: The Spirit makes two Claw attacks and a single Bite attack

Bite: Melee Weapon Attack, Reach 5', One Target, +9 to hit; Hit: 49 (4d20+3) piercing damage; Natural 20: Vorpal Bite (see above)

Claws: Melee Weapon Attack, Reach 5', One Target, +9 to hit; Hit: 29 (4d12+3) slashing damage.

BONUS ACTIONS
Etherealness: 3/day may cast theEtherealness spell. 

famine.jpg

Last edited:

I crunched a few numbers and came up with this

Barrow Giant
Huge Undead
(Chaotic Evil)

AC: 18 (Natural Armour)
Hp: 288 (25d12+125)
Speed: 40'

Str: 24 (+6) Dex: 16 (+3) Con: 20 (+5)
Int: 11 (+0) Wis: 12 (+1) Cha: 8 (-1)

Saving Throws: Str +11, Con +10, Wis +6, Cha +4
Damage Resistances: Necrotic, Bludgeoning, Piercing and Slashing damage from non-magical weapons
Damage Immunity: Poison
Condition Immunity: Charmed, Frightened Poisoned, Paralyzed
Senses: Dark vision 60', Passive Perception: 16
Language: Common, Giant
CR: 16 (15,000 xp)

Stench: Any creature that starts its turn within 5’ of the Giant must succeed on a DC 15 Con saving throw or be poisoned until the start the start of its next turn. On a success, the creature is immune to the Giants Stench for 24 Hrs.

Turning Defiance: The Giant and all Ghouls and Ghasts within 30’ of it, have advantage on saving throws against effects that turn undead.

Undead Armour: The Giants thick dead flesh provides it resistance to piercing damage, magic missal damage, and damage from attack spells.

It Likes the Juice: The Giant gains advantage on attack rolls against living enemies with fewer than half its hit points.

Vorpal Bite: If the Spirit rolls a natural 20 with its Bite attack against a Large or smaller enemy, it removes their head, most likely causing instant death.

ACTIONS
Multiattack: The Giant makes two Claw attacks and a one Bite attack
Bite: Melee Weapon Attack: + 11 to hit, reach 5', one target. Hit: 48 (4d20+6) piercing damage; Natural 20: Vorpal Bite (see above).

Claws: Melee Weapon Attack: + 11 to hit, reach 10', one target. Hit: 26 (3d12+6) slashing damage. If the target is a creature other than undead, it must succeed on a DC 15 Con saving throw or be paralyzed for 1 minute. The target can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on a success.

Bolder: Ranged Weapon Attack: + 11 to hit, range 60/240, one target. Hit: 32 (4d12+6) bludgeoning damage.

BONUS ACTIONS
Tongue lash: The Giant lashes its tongue out at a creature within 20’ of it. The creature must succeed on a DC 19 Dex Saving Throw or be pulled 10’ towards the Giant in a straight line.

LEGENDARY ACTIONS
The Giant can take 2 legendary actions, choosing from the options below. Only one legendary action option can be used at a time and only at the end of another creatures turn. The Giant regains spent legendary actions at the start of its turn.

Move: The Giant may move up to half his speed.

Tongue Lash: The Giant uses its tongue lash.

Stomp (Costs 2 actions): The Giant stomps the ground and sends out a shock wave. Each creature in a 10ft radius must succeed on a DC 18 Str saving throw or be knocked prone.

Last edited:

Scary

Explorer
Well, I am going to revise the Vulture Lion for D&D 3.5. It was my favorite tough monster back in AD&D days. If you have never heard of the Vulture Lion, you can find them in the original Deities & Demigods!! 😆

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using EN World mobile app

dave2008

Legend
I'm not saying you can't custom make a monster.
I'm saying you don't need to put so much work into wielding the rules and fiction together.

My point is that I enjoy that part - that is fun for me. You call it work, I call it creative engagement. It is what I like do, so why would I skip it.

If I want I can, and sometimes do, simply make a monster on the fly. My PCs are always doing the unexpected, so I have to do this fairly often. However, I personally enjoy making monsters and do it when I am not evening playing in a group (like now).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My point is that I enjoy that part - that is fun for me. You call it work, I call it creative engagement. It is what I like do, so why would I skip it.

I'm with you. For some of us, tinkering with stats and mechanics is part of the fun of a tabletop RPG.

Remove ads