Marvel's "Iron Fist" (Now With Spoilers)

Ryujin

Legend
It has been a long time since I first read the Iron Fist comic book. Like 1970s long. Opinions are pretty varied on this Marvel outing with a lot of critics panning it. Film maker friends are saying that the dialogue is anything from amateurish, to just plain bad.

I quite enjoyed it and have a different take. The main character's dialogue is 'childish' for a reason. I won't go any further into that but when you watch it, consider the reason.

*EDIT* I will admit to nostalgic bias in this matter.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've seen the first 4 episodes. It's OK - good enough that I'll keep watching. I thought Daredevil s1 and the first half of s2, and Jessica Jones, were better. It's on a par with Luke Cage so far (which was pretty good until they killed off the most interesting actor in the show!)

carrot

Explorer
I've not quite watched them all yet, but despite all its flaws (and there are more than a few) I've been enjoying the series.

I think the most annoying thing is that Finn Jones is completely miscast - he's not great as an actor, and I don't think he really looks the part of someone who has spend 15 years becoming the ultimate kung-fu warrior...

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
I think I'll sit this one out. Unless I'm really bored at some point and I'm too tired to read. I'll give The Defenders and I'll give a JJ a try when they come out.

DD and JJ s1 were both amazing, but DD took a dive in s2 and Luke Cage was just boring.

The main problem in DD s2 and Luke Cage are the villains and the plot. They have none. I hope The Defenders will make the the plot move foreward. They really need to learn a thing or two from Buffy the Vampire Slayer and how that show handled villains and plots in one season.

Hussar

Legend
It's okay enough that I watched it, but, definitely my least favorite of the Netflix Marvel outings. It was very boring in a lot of places. I mean, the whole Meachem subplot is basically a throw away. Who cares? It doesn't really matter and could be entirely cut without affecting the story. Far, far too much boardroom drama for a comic book story.

Ryujin

Legend
I would certainly agree with those who say that "Iron Fist" is the weakest of the Marvel Netflix offerings. I don't think that it's necessarily bad though. You can get into questions of "whitewashing" and "cultural appropriation" but, ultimately, he's a character of the time in which he was created.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
My rankings

DD1
JJ
DD2
Luke Cage (Cottonmouth)
Iron Fist
Luke Cage (Diamondback)

(yeah I cheated on Luke Cage because the first half was good but Diamondback was drek)

Iron Fist wasn't horrible, it was just a bit mediocre and lacked from too many themes and no real commitment on any of them. Iron Fist lacked a good origin story and the kung fu mysticism was as under developed as the fight choreography. The wall street drama was okay, although the first few episodes were too dragged out.You can start at episode 4 and not miss any important story elements. Kun Lun deserved more on screen time.

Colleen was best character, I liked Wards arc too.The others were meh

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
You can get into questions of "whitewashing" and "cultural appropriation" but, ultimately, he's a character of the time in which he was created.
He was a character of the 70s, but the series was made very recently and Disney isn't alway afraid to move away from the comics with their live adaptations.

Ryujin

Legend
He was a character of the 70s, but the series was made very recently and Disney isn't alway afraid to move away from the comics with their live adaptations.

To that I would say there's a question of just how far from the original you're going. If you're keeping the essence of the character then go nuts. If you're fundamentally altering things and just going for the name recognition drop the name, and make something original. If the original has so many bad connotations in today's society that you can't even come close to presenting it as the original, let it be forgotten.

Remove ads