D&D 5E [IC] Creamsteak's Princes of Elemental Evil II

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
(OOC - I think we'd all be aware IC of the basic principles of the bag of holding, and that putting the dragon turtle in one would accomplish nothing but removing our means of transporting its treasure out of here. :) The drop technique is fine, but is there a place inside this complex where the ceiling is high enough to do it? We might be best off finding a room small enough to constrain it. That's something we can do quickly, so we can take advantage of Maighan's summon, and it would give us advantage against it, and it disadvantage against us. I dunno if we can really hope for much more from this scenario.)

OOC: Hey Shayuri! It's not a bag of holding, it's a Handy haversack with a carrying capacity of 120 pounds. The two casters that can ritual cast tenser's floating disk plus the beast of the barbarian that we now have will be able to haul plenty of treasure, to buy Carradoc another bag (to potentially pull this trick again) and perhaps a real bag of holding for more treasure in the future.

It's kinda funny, I was sure it was your plan from the beginning [MENTION=23484]Kobold Stew[/MENTION], to use polymorph plus the bag in this fashion ;-)

Shayuri

First Post
(OOC- Okay, so...120lbs. I'm not seeing the point still? It turns back, destroys the bag, and we still have to fight it. How does stashing it in a Haversack help us? Edit - Ah, went back and read the description. Hmm. That makes more sense, I spose. I wouldn't be surprised if it reduced the exp cut, but might still be worth it. :))

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Carradoc has a good think.

He turns the haversack upside down, emptying all the pockets. It saddens him to see this happen -- it's like he is watching it through his familiar's eyes, observing himself. Everything had been so light. Again, he shoulders his old backpack, its weight a burden he had not wanted to carry again. He rights the now-empty bag.

Carradoc holds the wee turtle up to his face, and says, "I do not know enough about you to be sure. I am sorry." He then places the turtle inside one of the small side pockets of the haversack.

He turns to his companions. "I don't know how much air there is inside, or what will happen when it runs out. But I can maintain that form for it for at least an hour total, and it is unlikely there's that much air. It may suffocate, or it may simply destroy the item and be lost. I don't know if it has spell casting abilities, but it won't in that form so I think we are safe from feather fall.

Possibly, it will suffocate but not revert -- this is the first time I have cast that spell. In the meantime, we can search for its treasure hoard, if it has one. It is possible that its treasure likes within the creature itself. That then, would be a lost opportunity for us."

Carradoc is normally more confident than this. He is dealing with magics he truly does not understand, and, perhaps for the first time in his life, he feels humbled before the power he is beginning to tame.

He thinks back to the solitary figure in the monastery, that they encountered what seems so long ago. Working away. It was in control. He, for now with this, is not.

"We should have a few minutes yet. Let us look to see if we can find where the creature lived -- nested? -- in that time. We might still be advised to take some precaution -- in a small room, but not the troll room. We can still have it at height, or taken away -- away from us. But I think we are safe." Carradoc summons his spirit-owl, which flutters about before perching on his shoulder. The haversack is in his hand, held out to his side. He does not know what will happen next.

OOC: There. Carradoc maintains concentration on the spell. According to the description, something should happen in 10 mins, which is still ~40-50 mins before polymorph will wear off. Let's look for the treasure for at least 5 of those minutes. If we find nothing, the decision can be reconsidered. We might find a place where it would be "safe" for the spell to wear off (turtle grenade!). The owl can fly it away even if we don't go with it. At worst, I'd have to re-summon the owl and there's be an angry dragon turtle in the wilderness somewhere.
[MENTION=9700]Steve[/MENTION]_Gorak - I didn't have a plan. I was just excited to meet a dragon turtle. :p

Shayuri

First Post
Maighan frowns. She doesn't really know much about the wizardly magic that made objects such as the haversack. She had a vague notion that its contents were held in another world...a kind of place that wasn't really a place. Would the bag spill the turtle back out if it broke? Or would it rupture the other way, spewing its contents into that 'between space?'

Killing it would be cleaner. Living, dying...these were things she understood. Part of the natural cycle. Casting something adrift in an infinite nothingness...

Wizards.

She shakes her head.

"I'd be happier if we fought it here and bested it," the druid grumbles. "But it was your spell, and your bag. Let the consequences fall on you. In the meantime, lets keep moving. Recover what's valuable, end the cult."

River Song

Explorer
Kubeba absently flicked some gore from his axe, he wasn't sure what the casters were on about but it seemed to be very important. At times like these his mind drifted off and he found himself humming to himself. Seeing Carradoc look around, Kubeba smiles and nods in what he hoped was an attentive manner.

He thanked the bear totem of his tribe he wasn't a caster, all those words..... hitting things with an axe was so much simpler.

"Yep," he says out loud not sure if he was answering a question or agreeing with himself.

Creamsteak

Explorer
The turtle's last visible expression before being put away is some kind of panic, or something more primal like hatchlings trying to make it from the shore to the ocean.

To the west:

A pale glimmer plays over the waters of this subterranean lake. The cavern ceiling is naturally formed and speckled with hundreds of tiny points of blue light, mimicking a starry night. The canal that runs through this lake continues north and south. To the east, a wide quay at the end of the lake leads to a large hall with red pillars.

The ceiling is 50 feet above water level. Its "stars" are small patches of luminescent lichen.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Telepathically, Thaliss says to his companions The turtle's lair is likely underwater. Lets look for it!. He enters the water.

OOC: Anything interesting down there? He summons his owl out of curiosity, since it should also be affected by the waterbreating spell. Does it basically swimm by flying?
Other question, Thaliss will cast create bondfire underwater, to see if the spell works.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I believe the owl's swim speed stays 5. The bonfire would behave normally regardless of environment.

A large wooden chest lies open on the bottom in the western end of the lake. There is a Ring of Swimming, a Cloak of the Manta Ray, a Potion of Animal Friendship, 7000 gp, 440 pp, six rubies worth 400, and four large black diamonds worth 700 gp each.

Remove ads