How long is a long time ago, and how far is far, far away?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I don't think invisible lines affect your sense of scale unless you make them. It's not like truck drivers don't make those multi-country journeys regularly. All that matters is how far you're driving.

To you, perhaps.

To other people, it changes the perception. Why isn't really relevant to a discussion of whether it happens.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I don't think invisible lines affect your sense of scale unless you make them. It's not like truck drivers don't make those multi-country journeys regularly. All that matters is how far you're driving.

Nobody's saying that the US isn't physically large. Just that our minds aren't "boggled" by its size, as folks keep telling us they are. We're fully cognizant of it!

I don't doubt that. I am curious though what's the farthest you've ever been without finding a petrol station in Europe? Or a town? I think that's the kind of thing that gets these sorts of comments, more than literal distance.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I don't doubt that. I am curious though what's the farthest you've ever been without finding a petrol station in Europe? Or a town? I think that's the kind of thing that gets these sorts of comments, more than literal distance.

Europe is certainly more densely populated, I'll give you that. We've filled it up!

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
Europe is certainly more densely populated, I'll give you that. We've filled it up!

I know you have, I did mean that as a genuine question though. I haven't ever driven through the Europe so I have no experience at all about what its like, and all of my travel experience in the UK is via TARDIS. I can't imagine seeing a sign that says next petrol station 350KM in the UK. I'm used to that in Canada, and its still scary to find those in a tiny car with a small gas tank.

For crazy fun though density in Japan is just nuts. Canada has as many people in the whole country as Tokyo does in just one city. I took the subway there during rush hour. That was interesting to say the least.

Samloyal23

Adventurer
In one of the Indiana Jones movies we see a hieroglyphic portrayal of C3P-0 and R2-D2. Forget about how they ended up on Earth, they did it at least 3,000 years ago! THAT is a "long ago" in this context. So the most like scenario is the two droids had to eject from a ship on a life-pod just like they did at the beginning of Episode 4, but ended up falling through a transgalactic wormhole that drop them off in our solar system, where they crash landed on Earth in the vicinity of ancient Egypt. Assuming Professor Jones later found the two droids and was able to reactivate them, they must have learned enough English to tell him the Saga of the Whills. Jones' notes on the epic tale would have eventually been lost, but somehow ended up in the hands of a young film director, George Lucas, who used them as the basis of his film Star Wars...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases