How long is a long time ago, and how far is far, far away?

cmad1977

Hero
And then here in L.A. Distance is measured by time.
How far away is your place from the beach?
20 minutes.
No how far...
Doesn't matter. Right now it's 20 minutes away. In the summer it's closer to 45.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Well, except for at the end of Empire Strikes Back where they stand looking out of a window at the entire galaxy from outside it.
There are too many stars in the background; they are still in their own galaxy.
I thought they were looking at a star with a dust ring around it.

MarkB

Legend
Given that even the nearest galaxy to us is millions of light years away, just saying "another galaxy" would be sufficient - you wouldn't have to phrase it as "far, far away". Since it is phrased that way, the added emphasis on the distance could be intended to imply that it's a long way even as intergalactic distances are measured. So at least several times as far away as the nearest galaxy, maybe even as far away as a different galaxy cluster.

"Long ago" has no particular emphasis placed upon it, but the saga takes place over the course of decades, so it should be sufficiently long ago that the time passing within the storyline doesn't particularly impact that - otherwise Episode I would be "long ago" and Episode VII would be "a short time ago". So, could be anywhere up to billions of years, but most likely no less than multiple centuries.

I dunno - its not like they have to travel here. They stay within their own galaxy a long way away, wherever that is.

Well, except for at the end of Empire Strikes Back where they stand looking out of a window at the entire galaxy from outside it.

View attachment 82750

From Wookiepedia:

"The Episode II DVD-ROM Exclusive Content states that "the cluster known as the Rishi Maze may be the bright object that Luke and Leia stare at at the end of The Empire Strikes Back." However, Leland Chee confirmed on the StarWars.com Message Boards that the object seen in Episode V is the Star Wars galaxy,[3] despite this requiring the Rebel fleet to have traveled a very long distance from the galaxy. However, such a travel is possible according to the Outbound Flight Project led by Jedi Master Jorus C'baoth. The Rebel fleet could also be in the Rishi Maze during this scene, and thus able to view the main galaxy from outside."

The Rishi Maze, formally known as Companion Aurek, was one of the seven satellite dwarf galaxies that orbited the galaxy proper.

Remove ads