How long is a long time ago, and how far is far, far away?

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
And then here in L.A. Distance is measured by time.
How far away is your place from the beach?
20 minutes.
No how far...
Doesn't matter. Right now it's 20 minutes away. In the summer it's closer to 45.

And they think a 20 minute drive is a fricken imposition! Getting people to drive half an hour for lunch is like pulling teeth!

doctorbadwolf

I'm English. It does not boggle my mind in the slightest. My parents live 120 miles away and I drive there and back in a day without any thought. My parents drive from Bristol to Dartmouth (similar distance) to spend a weekend in their chalet there like every other weekend, and it's 149 miles away. MY brother lives in Nottingham, 172 miles away, and I don't worry about driving there to visit him. My wife and I like to do weekends in Rome (well, midweek as its quieter), so we also happily catch flights to travel 1200 miles for a weekend. I can't speak for your cousins, but to think of them as mind-boggled by these distances makes them very unusual.

Lol ok, Morrus. Your experiences and biases are totally the norm. :lol:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
And they think a 20 minute drive is a fricken imposition! Getting people to drive half an hour for lunch is like pulling teeth!

Depends on where you're working, though. When I (breeeeeifly) worked in a certain subsection of T.I.'s legal department, we had a 30 minute lunch break. Because of our physical position in the building, it was 10-15 minutes to walk to the campus cafeteria or to the parking lot.:erm:

Our department Head pushed back when some of the veeps complained about us eating at our desks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Lol ok, Morrus. Your experiences and biases are totally the norm. :lol:

I'm telling you straight out that my experiences are perfectly normal here, and that that is something about which I am better informed than you are.
Save
Savej
SaveSaveSaveSave

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

I'm telling you straight out that my experiences are perfectly normal here, and that that is something about which I am better informed than you are.

These forums need a better eye roll emoji.

At least you edited your post so that it doesn't accuse me of making claims I clearly haven't made.

I'll go ahead and not discount the experiences and attitudes of over a dozen people just because you have a strong confirmation bias on the notion that others think like you.

doctorbadwolf

Depends on where you're working, though. When I (breeeeeifly) worked in a certain subsection of T.I.'s legal department, we had a 30 minute lunch break. Because of our physical position in the building, it was 10-15 minutes to walk to the campus cafeteria or to the parking lot.:erm:

Our department Head pushed back when some of the veeps complained about us eating at our desks.

Veeps are the worst. :D

They're like regional managers in retain chains. Just. The. Worst.

Anyway, yeah, it's often quite understandable, it's just frustrating, because I grew up in Bakersfield and, to a lesser extent, Santa Barbara, and in Bakersfield especially, it's completely normal to drive 20-30 minutes for nothing at all important. I figure it's a matter of traffic being stressful, and warping perceptions.

Also, Bakersfield is terrible. Not sure how that is relevant, but it always bears stating.

This side discussion about distances reminded me of this from tumblr

cfc67867eddff2e0120e62e7c6dfd6a8.jpg

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
To be fair, it doesn't matter how long you drive in Australia, you're still stuck there. ;)

Canadians can at least...Escape to New York!
960.jpg

Janx

Hero
Save
Savej
SaveSaveSaveSave

Maybe it's a matter of social strata or go-ability of some folks? You mentioned a chalet or popping over to Rome. I'm middle class and I don't know anybody with a chalet. While I do know some folks who pop around the country/state with some ease, that's not the norm here.

Maybe plane tickets are cheaper in the EU? It'll cost me $1000 per person to get to someplace significant, and I'm in a major city.

There's also logistics of family. My friend who pops around the state quite a bit is hauling 2 kids + wife. Me, I got a wife and dog, and since the dog can't come with, an hour drive, means +2 hours drain on the time we can be away unless I can wrangle somebody to let the dog out. Plus the wife is spendy, so going somewhere means shopping. Not going somewhere means saving money. Result is, in my family culture, staying put is the norm.

I have no idea of what's normal for people in the UK or EU. I imagine a mix. Mobile people like Morrus, and rather "fixed" people. Odds are good, Morrus's social circle is more people like himself (obviously by virtue of what you're saying, but I'm also thinking of filtering).

I would imagine, for anybody who does travel freely, that they don't see any barriers to it, and thus might not be aware or even imagine that anybody else might have barriers to travel.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Maybe it's a matter of social strata or go-ability of some folks? You mentioned a chalet or popping over to Rome. I'm middle class and I don't know anybody with a chalet.

It's basically what you would call a trailer. They downsized when us kids left home and bought that when they retired. It's worth less than their car. They are by no means middle class.

While I do know some folks who pop around the country/state with some ease, that's not the norm here.

Maybe the saying should be reversed then!

Remove ads