Pathfinder 1E Airship encounter, looking for ideas

Hi there,

I am building an airship piece of terrain for an encounter in my campaign. (oh, that rhymes)
It is a ship attached to a balloon via a chain.

Any ideas for a fun encounter? Sky pirates? A squadron of young dragons?

I am thinking something fire-based; nothing says fun like fire and a huge bag full of flammable gas!

Thanks in advance!

How about sky pirates with a young dragon or two. Best of both worlds!

I ran a campaign in which the PCs had an airship. I found that they got awfully fond of throwing enemies off the ship, resulting in instant death. Doing that once or twice is pretty cool, but every time? That’s just cheesing it. So I started using lots of flying monsters and those that didn’t had safety lines.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I did a high-level airship encounter a long time ago featuring a caster and his huge blue dragon buddy. I based their tactics in part on the climactic duel in Dragonslayer and on fighter plane tactics. Why?

As aerial predators, dragons naturally think in 3 dimensions. For the most part, as terrestrial critters, we think mostly in 2 dimensions: we minimize our concerns about attacks from above or below.

So at various points, the dragon attacked from above or below. The best was when it grasped the underside of the airship, using it for cover while it swept its tail or popped its head up from below to attack.

Many years later, I did much the same thing in a supers game set in a Jules Vernian/H.G. Wellsian 1900. In a scenario borrowed from Michael Moorcock, the air navies of the world- with the PCs aboard one gunship- attacked the base of an international menace.

...and were shredded by scores of smaller, lighter ships that darted down from the clouds above, like fighter planes tearing into the lumbering bombers.

You also might find something in the "Campaigns in a nutshell..." link in my sig.

Remove ads