D&D 5E LMoP: What's in Wave Echo Lake

aco175

Legend
Im planning a return to Wave Echo Mine adventure for Level 9 PCs. I hinted at something in the middle of the underground lake and some missing adventurer groups. My initial plan was to have some sort of giant stalactite grown into a column. It houses a demon of some sort imprisoned there in some past age. Maybe tied to the mages that used the forge at Wave Echo to make magic items. I thought it should be partially free, but unable to escape the island prison yet.

I was looking for any thought in this and for an initial encounter for the boat trip over to the island. The boat trip could be an easier encounter. I was thinking along the lines of giant crocodiles or floating ships of ancient orc skeletons. Thanks

Croesus

Adventurer
You could go with kuo-toa's working to free the demon from the column. Kuo-toa have some nice variety in the MM, and anything with insane cultists trying to free a demon is always fun. Besides, the image of trident-wielding kuo-toa riding giant crocodiles is too cool to pass up. :)

Kabouter Games

Explorer
Aboleth.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DnDBehindT...t_lurks_in_the_underground_lake_of_wave_echo/

I'm starting my players on LMoP tomorrow. They've been playtesting some of my DMs Guild content, for which I'm thankful, but we're at the end of that process. I've never played LMoP, and I've heard a lot about how it's the perfect thing for new DMs and players. Having read it, I agree, but I've never actually played it. So we are. :)

And I'm totes using the Aboleth for afters. TOTES. Why? Because one of the PCs is a Great Old One tome pact Warlock. Yeah, baby.

Cheers,

Bob

www.r-p-davis.com

cooperjer

Explorer
I put Istishia, primordial lord of water, in the Sword Mountains. He was trapped by some magic, as yet to be defined. I stole this idea from Gauntlgrym. Being a primordial he is the underground lake in the middle of the sword mountains that a clan of Kuo-toa are collecting for use in evil plots. I'm running Princes of the Apocalypse now, so the water primordial will also come into lay in this story. I will most likely flood the valley north of the Sword Mountains with Istishia as he attempts to flee from the mountain side after an earth quake generated by some of the earth cultists causes cracks in the side of the mountain.

If you think about the next story you would like to run, you may be able to tie the LMoP to it.

Encounters to the lake may include rapids, small tunnels which force taking smaller boats, cold temperatures that freeze the water to slush consistancy. Monsters might include sea trolls (DM created), giant crocs, water elementals, water weirds, undead, Drow, etc. The tunnels at the back of the mine may lead into the Underdark.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Well, obviously the Wave Echo Lake was originally created by a blast from the Wave Motion Gun on the Space Battleship Yamato. (From the anime series Space Battleship Yamato, or Star Blazers in America).

The remains of the battleship can be found at the bottom of the crater that became Wave Echo Lake. No one knows how or why the ship came to rest there, or what secrets it may hold.

aco175

Legend
You could go with kuo-toa's working to free the demon from the column. Kuo-toa have some nice variety in the MM, and anything with insane cultists trying to free a demon is always fun. Besides, the image of trident-wielding kuo-toa riding giant crocodiles is too cool to pass up. :)

I had kuo-toa in Leilon with another demon leading them. I may combine these and have the underground lake connect with Leilon somehow through the underground. I think that the wave action was actually connected with the ocean already so this could work fine. The Leilon demon could be a friend or foe to this other one imprisoned.

LapBandit

First Post
WaveEchoCavern_PlayerVersion_Map_buildout.jpg

As you can see in the above, Wave Echo first found from the sea (or Wave Echo Lake as you call it) that formed in the vacuum of space at the root of the Sword Mountains.

About those dwarves:

The ancient dwarves who once sailed it are long forgotten except outside of the oldest myth as their kind stopped sailing it 4000 years ago and finally fled the area with the coming of the great wyrm Claugiamatar 2000 years ago to Kryptgarden forest on their border. The dwarves who sailed it first called it Dunglor Veltel (which means Underground Sea or Lake and Veltel for romance, courtship, social games and manners) as dwarves being not naturally acclimated to the water who boast of their love by risking the waters to prove the depth of their love by bravery. As time wore on and the dwarves become more acclimated to it's waves due to the ritualistic sailing for courtship, the name changed to Dunglor Zander (the latter word meaning adventurer, rogue, foolish youth, happy-go-lucky or reckless being). This it remained for many thousands of years uninterrupted until Umberlee (evil goddess of the seas) took notice of them. She sent a delegation of priests to inform the dwarves of their mistake at not paying her homage and begging for safe passage upon the underground sea. The dwarves rebuked the priests and then the delegation attempted to curse the underground sea with Umberlee's power slew them. Because Dunglor Zander originally filled with sea water but had long gone to fresh water, Umberlee's attempts at control over it took a very long time (another 1000 years) to come to fruition. The sea became more and more dangerous to sail with monsters appearing in it that had never existed there before and much larger waves threatening ships. They slowly abandoned their sailing of Dunglor Zander, now calling it Dunglor Thuldul (fate, doom, ill luck) and refusing to even drink water from it for those who did fell ill.

Many of their keeps, fortresses, and settlements can still be found by sailing Dunglor Thuldul, although beware the monsters that lurk there and woe be to those who would sail it without paying homage to Umberlee.

An adventure based here:

Monsters to use:

Kuo-toa
Sahaugin
Merrow
Sea Spawn Dwarves
deep scion
Sea Hag
Kraken Priest
Marid

Premise:

A Marid, Gosgulfur, sent by Umberlee to rule Dunglor Thuldul and watch it forevermore against those who do not pay homage to her becomes aware of the effort to resettle Wave Echo Cave and this time wants control over whatever magic comes from the place. It initially sends a Kraken Priest and some sort of monstrous guards to alert those at Wave Echo Cave that they are now in service to Umberlee and her commander Gosgulfur. They expect a humanoid to sacrifice before the new moon in order for their new subjects to prove their fealty. Build from there =)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases