Opinions on a Bestiary entry concept?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
You may remember I asked recently what made a great Bestiary. I took all those responses and put together a basic template for how a Bestiary entry would look in the WOIN system. It includes description, tactics, lairs, variants, fiction, lore, and more.

So what I've attach here is a troll. I chose a troll as the basic template as it's super easy to write about, most folks know exactly what a troll is, and the idea wasn't to concentrate on the monsters itself but rather the format and how the monster is presented.

So, ignoring -

(a) the actual monster, and
(b) my godawful layout skills (when the actual layout artist does it it will look gorgeous, just like the other WOIN books do)

Any thoughts? What do you think?

Attachments

• trolls_concept.pdf
    14.7 MB · Views: 108

garydee

Explorer
Looks really nice. I love the amount of variants that are included. Any word when the OLD Bestiary might be released or is it still too early to say?

Quickleaf

Legend
Pretty near perfection, in my opinion. :)

Two thoughts...

How do I roleplay a troll besides "dull-witted and vicious"? One of the places where Volo's Guide to Monsters succeeded was lots of roleplaying ideas for when PCs interact non-violently with a monster.

So...these trolls can only be permanently killed by sunlight? What other weaknesses might they have (i.e. fun exploits that PCs can use when sunlight isn't an option)? For example, if they regenerate fast, does that mean their metabolism makes them more rapidly succumb to poison?

Remove ads