D&D 5E [OOC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Creamsteak

Explorer
Initial recruiting thread for this game. I don't have a lot of setting design done like maps or the world as a whole.

I've set up a quick two page PDF with some basic concepts. Take a look if you're interested.

Attachments

• Ashwell.pdf
    32.8 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:

industrygothica

Adventurer
Sounds interesting. I'll see where I'm at and make sure that I have time, and I may cook something up later today. The talk of firearms and runes immediately sent my mind towards artificer, so that may be where I go if you allow UA material.

-IG

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Definitely interested. How would you handle a wild sorcerer? What I mean is that there are mechanics that are dependent on your ruling - such as how often do I trigger wild surges, when do I roll after using tides of chaos and similar. I'm not really demanding, but I would like surges to happen more than once a level :)

1st level?

Finally, you say there are elves, dwarves and halflings among humans - how about half-elves then? And what about standard racial bonuses? Do they get changed by +2/+1 rule?

In general: half-elf, noble bereft of family, entertainer - wild sorcerer.

Azurewraith

Explorer
Been waiting for this! I got a few concepts kicking around one for a rogue who only looks out for number one, a lawful stupid paladin and a bard who well I want to play a bard he needs some fleshing.

Ill see what the party looks like before I settle on a concept though methinks.

Last edited:

Neurotic

Bard is my second option too :)
We could try going for all bard (with variuos options of course) party :p

Creamsteak

Explorer
The talk of firearms and runes immediately sent my mind towards artificer, so that may be where I go if you allow UA material.

I'd be fine by that.

How would you handle a wild sorcerer?

I'm not a huge fan for PbP as it adds a lot of extra back and forth interaction that I'm not sure works great. Have not tried it though. Generally my table-top rule has been that we just had it roll on every single spell and see what happens. Not been in love with their list of wild events though.

1st level?

Yes.

Finally, you say there are elves, dwarves and halflings among humans - how about half-elves then? And what about standard racial bonuses? Do they get changed by +2/+1 rule?

Half elf is thematically fine. Probably just the +2/+1 and then whatever appropriate skills or proficiencies. Maybe an inherent cantrip. It would lack the darkvision of the usual half-elf for sure.

Creamsteak

Explorer
So the magic in this setting is inspired by "The Second Apocalypse" series of books. I don't necessarily recommend anyone go out and buy the books, they're not for everyone. That said, the magic system has some interesting traits.

Arcane Magic in the world is the use of language to forcibly influence reality. Or put another way, it is the practice of making the world conform to language, as opposed to philosophy, the practice of making language conform to the world. Arcane languages seek to grasp the conceptually perfect ideal of a word, the perfect meaning.

The words don't necessarily have to be spoken, they can simply be thought, or part of your movements or spell components.

Bardic magic is more anagogic, meaning that they perform analogies. Wizard magic is more absolute and literal use of arcane words, a logical system. Neither is truly more powerful, they do things different ways. Sorcerer's may be more unique in that they understand some inner truth to things, either way they have their own unique method. Warlocks may be more of an exception as they perform spells in a similar way, but their access to these things was granted by something "outside".

Clerics and Druids exalt the world as the gods (or whatever they are) created it and use it. Their magic is more supernatural seeming than arcane magic. Where the wizards spells kind of make sense and have a system, divine magic is willed by something other. The gods may be real things, and they may not even care about their followers, but they grant supernatural magic to some select few.

These things work better the closer you are to Ashwell, like that place sits upon a rip where reality was still being shaped, and the ancient architecture that was built on top of that rip was done to suture the wound.

A musical character or party could be interesting in some ways because the ancients that lived in the ruins lived their life through song. Their entire language was song.

Neurotic

I think having each spell trigger a surge would quickly grow overwhelming in pbp with sorcerer casting several spells per round (immediate, bonus, action).

How about: roll cha check to control the magic. Penalty equal to level -1. Maybe other bonuses/penalties as circumstances dictate

Remove ads