D&D 5E [OOC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Note that Tobin will have to drop a couple things:

Darkvision: Can see in dim light within 60' as if it were bright light, and in darkness as if it was dim light
Gnome Cunning: You have advantage on all Int, Wis, and Cha saving throws against magic.
Natural Illusionist: You know the minor illusion cantrip. Intelligence is your spellcasting ability for it.
Speak with Small Beasts Through sounds and gestures, you can communicate simple ideas with Small or smaller beasts.

I'd also appreciate some clarifications about racial traits. Are halflings still lucky, or is everything out?
I was interested in Gnome because of their traits, but I may switch tobin to a short human (or maybe that's what a gnome is ;-)!
Thanks and cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
Yeah, halfling would not have lucky. Obviously it would be more fair for me to just push out a list of races and cultures in advance, but while I've put some time into attempting that I'm not happy with the work so-far.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Fair enough. I'm thinking dwarf, so I understand that darkvision is out. What about other racial features, like stonecunning and dwarven resilience? Dwarven toughness? Sorry for all the questions. I'm about to start drafting a background, and I just want to make sure I have all of the crunch straight first. Thanks!

It's pretty much going to be limited to the +1 to all or +2 to 1 and +1 to 1 and then proficiency in skills, tools, or possibly equipment. Stonecunning would be fine, or expertise on using certain tools.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
It's pretty much going to be limited to the +1 to all or +2 to 1 and +1 to 1 and then proficiency in skills, tools, or possibly equipment. Stonecunning would be fine, or expertise on using certain tools.

I propose, so it's fair to all, that all races gets 1 racial proficiency (not 2 for half elves). If already stated in the race description, you have to take that one (ex: perception for elves). If not, the choice is yours.

Also, the ribbons (i.e. "fluff) still apply (i.e. elves and gnomes live for a long time, dwarves live underground (but use torches), half orcs are easily angered, etc.), I'd also recommend that the small races still have a speed of 30, since there is nothing to compensate for their small size (they're small but quick). This way, everything is balanced. Fair enough?
Cheers,

SG

Azurewraith

Explorer
Looking to get my character done tonight provided my Essay doesn't run long. What do you guys know about Tort law?

Edition oh about this Prof is it player chosen?

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
I propose, so it's fair to all, that all races gets 1 racial proficiency (not 2 for half elves). If already stated in the race description, you have to take that one (ex: perception for elves). If not, the choice is yours.

Also, the ribbons (i.e. "fluff) still apply (i.e. elves and gnomes live for a long time, dwarves live underground (but use torches), half orcs are easily angered, etc.), I'd also recommend that the small races still have a speed of 30, since there is nothing to compensate for their small size (they're small but quick). This way, everything is balanced. Fair enough?
Cheers,

SG

I would agree on that...except - why limit races with set proficiency? Why limit half-elves to one? What happens when said half-elf is raised in elven community? Even more, what happens when DWARF is raised as an elf? :) Which proficiency does he get?

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I would agree on that...except - why limit races with set proficiency? Why limit half-elves to one? What happens when said half-elf is raised in elven community? Even more, what happens when DWARF is raised as an elf? :) Which proficiency does he get?

I'd say that you can take any proficiency you want, as long as it's thematic. The half elf shouldn't get an extra one, simply because all races are now fully balanced. The only differences are the fluff.
Cheers,

SG

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I decided to go with elf, since it fits better (in my mind) with wearing armor. Everything else is the same. FYI, I only added only 1 proficiency to account for the race, nothing more (no weapon proficiencies).

Question for you [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION]: what are the common human languages & can you give us some insigh as to which languages would be useful for the setting (ancient and current)?

[sblock]
elf_wizard_and_his_apprentice_by_oana_d-d9cca0l.jpg
Name: Thael Silverleaf
Sex: Male
Race: High elf
Class/Level: Cleric 1 (knowledge)
Alignment: Lawful Neutral
Size: Medium
Type (Subtype): Humanoid (Elf)
Init: +2
Passive Perception: 14

DEFENSE
AC: 18 (14 Scale Mail, +2 Shield, +2 Dex)
HP: 10 (1d8 +2 Con)
Saves: Wisdom & Charisma
Special Defenses: none

OFFENSE
Speed: 30ft
Melee: Dagger +4 Attack, 1d4+2 Piercing, mace +3 attack, 1d6+1 buldgedoing (1 handed)
Ranged: Light Crossbow +4 Attack 1d8+2

STATISTICS
Str 13 (+1), Dex 14 (+2) , Con 14 (+2), Int 16 (+3), Wis 14 (+2), Cha 9 (-1)

SKILLS Proficies in bold, expertise in italics: 2 Cleric, 2 Knowledge Domain, 2 Background, 1 race
Mod Attribute Name of Skill
+2 (dex) Acrobatics
+2 (wis) Animal Handling
+7 (int) Arcana
+0 (str) Athletics
+0 (cha) Deception
+7 (int) History
+4 (wis) Insight
+0 (cha) Intimidation
+5 (int) Investigation
+2 (wis) Medicine
+3 (int) Nature
+4 (wis) Perception
+0 (cha) Performance
+0 (cha) Persuasion
+5 (int) Religion
+2 (dex) Sleight of Hand
+2 (dex) Stealth *Disadvantage because of armor*
+4 (wis) Survival

Languages: Common (racial), Elf (racial), xxxx (domain), xxxx (domain), xxxx (background), xxxx (background)

BACKGROUND FEATURES Sage
Feature: Researcher
Skill Proficiencies: Investigation, History

Traits: He will talk your ear off if you get him talking about a subject he is passionate about
Ideal: The pursuit of knowledge is not only a path to self improvement, but our duty to both our ancestors and our descendants.
Bond: I work to preserve the knowledge I have studied, and hope to contribute my own works one day and create my own library.
Also, I will fight those that seek to hide the truth and destroy knowledge.
Flaw: I am easily distracted by the promise of information. It can be quite a challenge to tear me away from my work.

CLASS FEATURES Cleric
- Spellcasting: Wisdom is your spellcasting ability for your spells. The saving throw DC to resist a spell you cast is 12. Your attack bonus when you make an attack with a spell is +4.
Proficiencies Light armor, medium armor, shields, simple weapons
Divine Domain (Knowledge) Blessing of knowledge: add two languages known, select two skills (Arcana, History), you double your proficiency bonus for those skills.
Cantrips Known: Guidance, Sacred Flame, Mending, silent image (gnome)
1st Level Spells Prepared: Bless, Cure wounds, Healing Word, Command*, Identify*

Equipment
Cleric:
Mace
scale mail
a light crossbow and 20 bolts
an explorer’s pack: Includes a backpack, a bedroll, a mess kit, a tinderbox, 10 torches, 10 days of rations, and
a waterskin. The pack also has 50 feet of hempen rope strapped to the side of it.
A shield and a holy symbol

Sage:
A bottle of black ink,
a quill,
a small knife,
a letter from a dead colleague posing a question you have not yet been able to answer,
a set of common clothes,
a belt pouch containing 3 gp

Extra purchases:
2gp dagger
5gp holy symbol emblem (on shield)

Physical Appearance:
Tobin is an average sized elf. He is a youngling, being only 85 years old. He has black hair, with green eyes. His complexion is creamy white, which one would expect from someone who spends at much time pouring over old tomes as he does.

Backstory:
Thael came grew in the forests of xxx, hidden from the surrounding human lands. He had a simple and happy childhood in the forest, but his thirst of knowledge brought him to the high elven town of XXXX to study a a young age. No tragedy or twist of fate landed him on the doorstep of the library, simply an unending curiosity about anything and everything. Poor of coin and devoid of any marketable craft skills, Tobin elected to join the priesthood of the temple that oversaw the library. He spent many years pouring over old tomes on the arcane, history, religions, and anything else he could get his hands on.

If he had been able to, Thael would have become a wizard. Alas, this was for those of ages past, for the world's magic was now fickle, until now.

The elves, quite cunning, kept abreast of Human developments. This is how Thael learned of the developments in Ashwell. The moment he had heard of the town and what was happening, he knew that he needed to go there.
[/sblock]

Creamsteak

Explorer
I would say skill proficiencies, tool proficiencies, and languages as all being things you might get from race, background, or traits quite easily.

Human Races
The five broader cultural and racial groups that migrated into the Eärwan subcontinent at the beginning of the Second Age. These are commonly known as the Norsirai, the Ketyai, the Satyothi, the Scylvendi, and the Xiuhianni. The current human population of Eärwa descends from these five and interbreeding between them.

Norsirai
The typically blond-haired, light-eyed, fair-skinned race predominantly concentrated in the northern Three Seas. Their language group is known as Vasnosri. Although they mostly live on the northern fringes of the Three Seas, they were once the dominant race of Men and ruled all the lands north to the Yimaleti Mountains.

Ketyai
The typically dark-haired, brown-eyed, olive-skinned race predominantly concentrated in the southern, western, and eastern Three Seas. Their language group is known as Kengetic. The Ketyai are the largest race of Men and currently the dominant civilization.

Satyothi
The black-skinned, black-haired but green-eyed race predominantly concentrated in the southwestern nation of Zeüm and the southern extremities of the Three Seas.

Scylvendi
The dark-haired, pale-eyed, and fair-skinned race predominantly concentrated in the Jiünati Steppe. Their language group is known as Skaaric. The Scylvendi are pastoral nomads and very isolated from the other human cultures.

Xiuhianni
The black-haired, olive-skinned race that still dwells beyond the Great Kayarsus, who, according to The Chronicle of the Tusk, refused to follow the other four tribes into Eärwa. Some of the Ketyai on the eastern fringes of the Three Seas have some racial characteristics of Xiuhianni, as they overlap.

Languages
The language groups mentioned above are just that, groups. There are multiple nations within each group and multiple dialects, especially over time, between these regions. If a language is similar to one you know, you can understand it with an intelligence check. If it is closely related, you have proficiency on that check. If it is very closely related, you have double your proficiency on that check.

Vasnosri Common - Sakarpic; Uncommon - Nymbricani; Rare - Atrithi;

Kengetic Common - Kianni; Uncommon - Conriyan, Nroni, Cironjic, Cengemic, Sansori, Ainoni, Low Sheyic, Sheyo-Buskrit, Girgashi, Cinguli, Sheyo-Xerashi, Amoti, Eumarni; Rare - High Sheyic;

Satiothi Common - Zeümi;

Skaaric Common - Scylvendi;

Xiangic Unknown; Have not been seen or heard from in a long long time.

Elven Varies - Elven; Likely many types. May be related to the languages found burried in Ashwell.

Halfling Varies; Most halflings speak the human languages at this point. Their own language meshes many different human languages with their own tongue.

Dwarven/Gnome Varies - Dwarven; May be related to the languages found burried in Ashwell.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases