D&D 5E [OOC] Adventures in Ashwell: The Edge of Dispater

Azurewraith

Explorer
So I was planning on having my character be a human from the Scylvendi tribe. Given their isolation would the Far traveler background be a good fit?

Creamsteak

Explorer
Yep, absolutely. They have some cool background as well.

The Scylvendi are divided into a number of independent tribes, each with its own Chieftain. Only when the tribes gather for war against non-Scylvendi outsiders will the tribal leaders elect an overall monarch, a King-of-Tribes, and only for the duration of the conflict.

The Scylvendi are cattle-herders, and sustain themselves from their cattle which they move around the steppe with the seasons for grazing. As mounted nomads who despise the farmers and city-dwellers, they regard themselves as the "People of War".

A traditional Scylvendi ritual, though you may or may not partake in it, is to scar your own body after having taken someone's life. These are called Swazond, ceremonial scars used by Scylvendi warriors to denote foes slain in battle, believed by some to be markers of stolen strength. In other parts of the culture it is a sign that you go forward carrying the weight of all the lives you've ended on your own flesh, kind of like a responsibility to do their sacrifice justice.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
ok, here are my character's 6 languages, grouped in their respective language family:
Elven
Vasnosri - Sakarpic (common), Atrithi (rare)
Kengetic - Kianni (common, language of Ashwell), High Sheyic (rare)
Kûnüric

As for traits, my character's goal is to become a wizard, so anything that will jump start getting levels in wizard (hopefully by next level). So perhaps knowledge of 1 wizard ritual (a weak one, but thematically appropriate such as comprehend languages) and/or, knowledge of one weak wizard cantrip (prestigitation). This is just to nicely segway into the next level in wizard. My character would have spent the last 40 years studying magics and history. If this is a no-go, perhaps more obscure/academic languages? Since human languages evolve so quickly, the elves wouldn't put emphasis on learning many current languages, but rather put emmphasis on the historically important ones.

Also, where do the elves come from. Are they on an island, that is far removed from the world and well protected?

Thanks and cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
I can probably work with that for traits. You very well could have studied "magic" which would have been more along the lines of "the occult" and similar in a lot of ways. Like a crazy professor who happens to read grimoires and such. Socially, you might have had to keep such dealings relatively quiet in public. While your studies were permitted and people would look the other way if they knew you, publicly academics often see such studies as working on fiction at best and corrupting the youth to commit heinous acts at worst.

I think I like the idea of your character coming from a place like like Alexandria when it had the great library. Likely on the coastal edge of a pretty elven city almost a continent away. Does that fit?

Azurewraith

Explorer
Ok running this past you Mr [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION], as a far traveler I get a bonus language now for backstory he was bested by a strange man from another area(maybe even another land) wouldn't it be cool if he hung around a while and spoke Xianic? Could be an interesting plot point later on your call.

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
I can probably work with that for traits. You very well could have studied "magic" which would have been more along the lines of "the occult" and similar in a lot of ways. Like a crazy professor who happens to read grimoires and such. Socially, you might have had to keep such dealings relatively quiet in public. While your studies were permitted and people would look the other way if they knew you, publicly academics often see such studies as working on fiction at best and corrupting the youth to commit heinous acts at worst.

I think I like the idea of your character coming from a place like like Alexandria when it had the great library. Likely on the coastal edge of a pretty elven city almost a continent away. Does that fit?

Kewl! It definitely works. Lets assume that this great library, known as "The Great Library" is where his religious order is based, and it is the world's largest repository of ancient manuscripts. I'll add the prestigitation cantrip to his cantrips, and assume that he has a spellbook, with only 1 spell in it (comprehend languages) that he can understand; this opens things up for the next levels. Since he doesn't have any wizard slots, he can only cast it as a ritual.

Upon learning about Ashwell, he received his leave from the order since his goal was to gather knowledge, and brushed up on the current version of High Sheyic being used in the area. I'll also assume that he has a reference letter from his order, and some paperwork from closer libraries or other institutions that can be used as an intro hook.
Fair enough?
Cheers,

SG

Creamsteak

Explorer
Ok running this past you Mr [MENTION=552]Creamsteak[/MENTION], as a far traveler I get a bonus language now for backstory he was bested by a strange man from another area(maybe even another land) wouldn't it be cool if he hung around a while and spoke Xianic? Could be an interesting plot point later on your call.

Yeah that would be notably interesting. If you're really interested in finding this person the language Dûnyainic might also be interesting.

Kewl! It definitely works. Lets assume that this great library, known as "The Great Library" is where his religious order is based, and it is the world's largest repository of ancient manuscripts. I'll add the prestigitation cantrip to his cantrips, and assume that he has a spellbook, with only 1 spell in it (comprehend languages) that he can understand; this opens things up for the next levels. Since he doesn't have any wizard slots, he can only cast it as a ritual.

Upon learning about Ashwell, he received his leave from the order since his goal was to gather knowledge, and brushed up on the current version of High Sheyic being used in the area. I'll also assume that he has a reference letter from his order, and some paperwork from closer libraries or other institutions that can be used as an intro hook.
Fair enough?
Cheers,

SG

That works. Upon arriving in the human lands you find that people refer to you as a "schoolman" almost like a curse. They're very suspicious, but never outright insulting. They fear you, and don't openly oppose you, but you can tell when you sit down in the tavern they talk about you, but never to your face.

industrygothica

Adventurer
So here's my concept, and you can help me tweak it where necessary.

He is a hill dwarf artificer named Kilvo Greyclaw. He's called Greyclaw because of the mechanical claw he has for a left hand, the original hand being blown off in an alchemical accident, along with half of his face, many years ago. The claw will offer no in-game benefits, but is simply flavor to go along with the tinkering nature of the artificer. It will also help account for his low strength and charisma scores. He may even be blind in one eye, hindering his perception and other winsdom-based skills (low wisdom score too). He's an INT/DEX based character with a firearm and a few minor utility spells, and lots of tool proficiencies coming from race, class, and his guild artisan background.

As a dwarf, he'll keep stonecunning and his racial tool proficiency (brewer's supplies), but lose darkvision, dwarven resilience, and dwarven combat training. As a hill dwarf, I'm hoping he can keep dwarven toughness - but that's up to you.

Creamsteak

Explorer
I'll tentatively allow it. It's on the more powerful mechanically side of things, but it's a hit point. I'll allow you to start with the pistol as far as firearms go, a musket can be acquired but is quite expensive to start with. I'll be using the renaissance items list from the DMG.

Pistol, 250gp, 1d10 piercing, 3 lb.; Ammunition (range 30/90), loading.

Bullets (10), 3gp, 2 lb.

Remove ads