[UPDATED] WotC & Goodman Games Partner To Reprint Classic Modules for 5E

At Gary Con, Goodman Games and WotC announced a partnership, as reported by Brett B over on Google+. They'll be reprinting classic modules, including B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands in a hardcover with both the original adventures and 5th Edition information. More information if and when I hear it!

At Gary Con, Goodman Games and WotC announced a partnership, as reported by Brett B over on Google+. They'll be reprinting classic modules, including B1 In Search of the Unknown and B2 The Keep on the Borderlands in a hardcover with both the original adventures and 5th Edition information. More information if and when I hear it!

Screen Shot 2017-03-26 at 13.41.03.png

Photo by Brett B

B1_In_Search_of_the_Unknown.jpg
B2ModuleCover.jpg

UPDATE! There's now a press release from Goodman Games.

Classic D&D Module Collector’s Editions!

Very exciting news from the “What’s New With Goodman Games?” seminar at Gary Con this weekend: Goodman Games has partnered with Wizards of the Coast to produce hardcover Collector’s Editions of classic D&D modules! These editions will include the adventures as orginally printed, complete conversions of the modules to the 5E ruleset, new 5E content, and behind-the-scenes historical content!

Present at the announcement were B1 author and industry legend Mike Carr, D&D lead designer Mike Mearls, and Chris Doyle who will be doing the 5E conversion.

Here is the full press release:

Jump into Classic Dungeons & Dragons Adventure Modules with Collector’s Editions from Goodman Games

First Volume Contains B1 and B2 Converted to Fifth Edition, Plus Insider Commentary, and Original Art

Goodman Games is pleased to announce a partnership with Dungeons & Dragons to publish deluxe collector’s editions of classic D&D adventure modules! These commemorative editions will appeal to fans of Dungeons & Dragons across multiple editions. Each volume will include digitally restored, high-quality scans of the original 1970’s-era adventure modules, presented in their original published form. In addition, each volume will include a conversion of that original adventure to the fifth edition rules set. This format allows nostalgic gamers to re-live the adventures of their youth, and play those adventures again in a modern rules set! For gamers with families and children ready to receive the torch of gaming, this volume is the perfect format to share fond adventures with the next generation playing the Dungeon & Dragons fifth edition rules.

Classic-DD-B1-B2.png

The first hardcover collector’s edition will include B1: In Search of the Unknown and B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. These classic adventure modules were played by millions of gamers in their original editions. Among other things, the book includes:

• Commentary by gaming luminaries on the history and development of these modules, including gaming legends such as Frank Mentzer and Luke Gygax who were “on the inside” when these modules exploded in popularity.
  • A new interview with gaming legend Mike Carr, author of B1: In Search of the Unknown and early gaming pioneer.
  • Digitally restored scans of both B1 and B2, including multiple printings of B2: The Keep on the Borderlands. B2 went through nine printings in its original form, and there are material differences between the first three printings and subsequent editions. These include changes in monster stats and significant differences in interior art. Two printings are presented in their entirety to highlight these differences. The historical material also includes the true story behind the cover art of B1, which was the only cover image TSR ever published that featured the signatures of both David Trampier and David Sutherland.
  • A thorough and complete conversion of both B1 and B2 to the 5E rules set, fully playable with the original maps.
  • New 5E content providing additional detail on the areas surrounding the Caves of Chaos, including, at long last, the Cave of the Unknown.
  • Additional material for playing B1: In Search of the Unknown, including several completed monster and treasure assortments ready for play.
  • A variety of additional essays, commentary, and other material for play.

The deluxe hardcover volume is anticipated to be available at Gen Con with general release in September 2017. For additional information, visit Goodman Games online at www.goodman-games.com.

SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave
SaveSave

A large chunk of them seemed to have roots in old modules.

Just what it says.
Yup. I stand by that. Not reprinting of them, but roots in the old modules. An underdark adventure, a giants adventure and then an elemental evil adventure. Like i said roots. Not reprints, but similar themes. The Yawning Portal and Ravenloft are outright updates.

Thematically, they're covering some familiar ground. Thus appealing to the grognards who have played them in the 80's when these first came out (myself included), and appealing to a younger crowd who didn't get a shot at them the first time, as having just come to 5e from 4e or Pathfinder, or just beginning altogether.
It's not terribly surprising that they chose this route as they're nods to classic D&D modules, but with new material.

There are those that would like some pushing out into a different direction, like a new campaign setting, would be nice. I would imagine we'll get a major rules update this year though.

That's all i'm saying, is that they're taking cues from the old modules for direction.

I've purchased all of the WotC material for 5e, and it's pretty decent, some books are better than others, as with any product line though.
If you're going to set the bar for comparison so low, is it actually possible, after 40+ years of modules, for WotC to produce anything that would count as original using your criteria?

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

This does make Tales From the Yawning Portal seem that much more redundant. If a third party can update all these classics I wonder why WotC even bothered devoted one of their rare storyline adventures to this.
Especially since they keep saying that story is key this edition, and yet TFtYP is as devoid of story as you can get.

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I wonder if this is going to use the adventures I played this weekend at GaryCon. There were eight different 2-hour adventures set in the Caves of Chaos, using the old maps. There was also a seperate adventure I did not play for Cave of the Unknown.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
This does make Tales From the Yawning Portal seem that much more redundant. If a third party can update all these classics I wonder why WotC even bothered devoted one of their rare storyline adventures to this.
Especially since they keep saying that story is key this edition, and yet TFtYP is as devoid of story as you can get.

Probably because this partnership came along after Yawning Portal was already in the works. Heck, TFtYP, is probably the reason WotC/Goodman Games are doing this.

darjr

I crit!
I wonder if this is going to use the adventures I played this weekend at GaryCon. There were eight different 2-hour adventures set in the Caves of Chaos, using the old maps. There was also a seperate adventure I did not play for Cave of the Unknown.

I hope so!

I hope it's AL too.

How was it btw? Was it multitable?

Patrick McGill

First Post

I doubt it's going to be re-illustrated and have a framing device. I feel like a lot of work went into Tales to update it to 5th, but that won't be the main focus for Goodman Games, who'll be using the original artwork and maps as far as I can tell.

vogless

Explorer
Makes me wonder if the pre-orders for Tales was strong enough to justify the deal with Goodman.

No one will do a better job with these than Goodman, WoTC included.

Wouldnt it be something if Goodman got the rights to Greyhawk? Wow! Possibilities!

Probably because this partnership came along after Yawning Portal was already in the works. Heck, TFtYP, is probably the reason WotC/Goodman Games are doing this.
Every licence partner who has worked with WotC has said it takes a loooong time to hammer out the details. Better part of a year. If not longer.
In contrast, work on TFtYP likely started shortly after SKT was completed. So less than a year.
Plus Goodman Games must be far enough along on the project to be comfortable announcing things. This likely wasn't Day One.

I doubt very, very much that Goodman Games managed to get a licence in the three months since TFtYP was announced and started work on the updates.
-edit-
Heck, the first will be out in stores for August. It must be finished writing now and in layout stages.
They almost certainly were talking to WotC well before Yawning Portal was set in stone...

Last edited by a moderator:

Ghost2020

Adventurer
Excuse me, I'm relatively new to the hobby, but when was this flag waved? I was under the impression that most content in 5e besides the PHB, MM, and DMG would be in adventures, for example new races and spells with PotA a new background with CoS, and most new FR setting information in the Adventures themselves.

I feel like they've sold almost nothing but Adventures for the past couple years (probably an exaggeration since I forget when 5e came out) not that I'm complaining. Although some definitely are complaining, I actually like the lack of splat books.

It was quite some time ago. Previous edition(s). Obviously, not this one. That was one part of the OGL methodology back in the 3.x days. Let 3rd parties make the scenarios/modules and they (wotc) would focus on rules and splat books.

Ghost2020

Adventurer
If you're going to set the bar for comparison so low, is it actually possible, after 40+ years of modules, for WotC to produce anything that would count as original using your criteria?

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

Actually yes. They've been innovators before, but I don't feel that they are currently. They're playing it safe. They're still making very good products, just not going outside of any comfort zones.

In their defense, why would they? They're making less product, and thus with less product, each one should be something of a surefire hit and crowdpleaser. A thinner release schedule doesn't allow for a lot of experimenting.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads