Compiled 3.5 Revisions

Storm Raven

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Regarding Slow... gosh, that is going to be a total killer for high level fighters and a must-have defensive spell for powerful wizards I'm sure. Great for keeping out of their range, and eliminating up to 75% of their attacks. Especially good as a defence against high level archers

Umm, why are you thinking that this will be such a benefit only now? The 3.5 version of Slow is less effective than the 3.0 version was, which imposed a -2 penalty to attacks, damge and Reflex savesm and limited the targets to a partial action each round.

Apok

First Post
Psion said:

With all the curse-like stuff shifting to necromancy, it seems that (for good or ill), the 3.5e necromancer is the Diablo II necromancer.

...but without all the really cool spells, like Iron Maiden, Life Tap, and Corpse Explosion. :(

Datt

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:

The 3.5 assassin gains hide in plain sight at 8th level.

It really kind of irks me that just about every other class that has hide as a class skill is getting this ability but the Rogue. Of all the classes you think would be good at hiding, it would b the Rogue. Even if they didn't want the pidgeon hole, like they did the Ranger, with it they could have at least added it to the Rogue Special Ability list so you could select it. That might be something I have to talk to my DM about.

Datt said:

It really kind of irks me that just about every other class that has hide as a class skill is getting this ability but the Rogue. Of all the classes you think would be good at hiding, it would b the Rogue.

It is odd. I always thought of HIPS as a prestige-only mechanic; while I don't mind that the assassin has it, it seems odd to give it to the ranger and not the rogue ... but then I sincerely doubt anyone's going to take 17 levels fo ranger just for HIPS, anyway (plus it isn't fully functional for the ranger -- natural surroundings only).

Lord Ben

First Post
Storm Raven said:

That seems awfully powerful for a 1st level spell. Perhaps more powerful than the "revised" 2nd level Animal Buff spells. The benefits of reach are pretty significant.

Yeah, but +2 str, -2 dex and the benefits for large combined will give you this:

+0 to attack (+1 str, -1 size) and -2 AC (-1 dex, -1 size). +1-3 damage on average (+1 str, +1-2 if weapon size increases). +4 grapple, trip, bull rush's, etc.

So the biggest draw is the +1-3 damage and reach, as a trade off you get -2 AC. Not bad IMHO.

Now look at Bulls str at 2nd level. +2 to hit, +2 damage, +2 various skill checks and grapple checks, etc. if you weild a 2H weapon that's +3 damage, and if you use power attack the net total could be +0 to attack and +7 damage per attack.

IMHO I think they're very nice.

You missed the best benefit of large size: reach, without the 5' dead zone a reach weapon gives. My prediction: Enlarge will become one of the must haves, just for this reason.

diaglo

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
You missed the best benefit of large size: reach, without the 5' dead zone a reach weapon gives. My prediction: Enlarge will become one of the must haves, just for this reason.

and now you know where the whole resizing of weapons and armor comes into play

Lord Ben

First Post
I said in there that the benefits of it are +1 and reach. But besides, one AO isn't a big deal. And besides, if AO's were such a huge deal everyone would be using a spiked chain anyways.

Will you still get the -X penalty if your weapon resizes? You're not trained for it. So you might end up with another penalty to hit anyway.

Don't get me wrong, reach is very nice and will provide lots of extra AO's. However it'll probably be limited in duration so the Wizard will need to touch the fighter, that usually is enough to discourage it in a lot of situations. IE, fighter races off to engage in melee, wizard stays back to protect own butt. If Enlarge/Bulls Str, etc are 1min/level they'll probably be cast during battle in most situations. So the Wizard will need to be close to the fighter who's trying to engage in melee. I see it as being useful, but not a must-have or anything.

In my experience as a fighter/wizard/DM I'll probably end up using the new Haste spell much more, it affects multiple people which is freaking awsome. A wizard casting enlarge at later levels will be rare, but fighters with potions of enlarge should be nice to see. Especially if you know you'll be fighting giants soon. But the -2AC is significant

Duelist info: Canny defense, for example, allows you to add your Int bonus to AC when unarmored and wielding a melee weapon, but only up to a maximum value equal to your duelist level.

Improved Precise Shot Prerequisites: BAB +11, PBS, PS, Dex 19+.

l. The kukri is now a light martial weapon that deals 1d4/18-20 for Medium, so it's pretty much the same as a Small scimitar.

m. Weapon-specific feats (eg, Weapon Focus) apply to all sizes of a given weapon (though you take a -2 penalty "to hit" for using a weapon not properly sized for you).

Errata:

b. Rogues still have proficiency with the sap.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases