Compiled 3.5 Revisions

proditor

First Post
Unless they changed Arcane Archer, the new ammunition rule makes the class all but worthless.

They cannot do the funky touch thing on magic arrows.

"Enchant Arrow: At 1st level, every nonmagical arrow an arcane archer nocks and lets fly becomes enchanted, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. An archer’s magic arrows only function for her. For every two levels of arcane archer the character advances past 1st level in the prestige class, the magic arrows she creates gain +1 greater potency."

So why bother to become an AA? The other abilities do not make up for the loss of power here, One fighter with a GWM bow or even a flat out magic bow and some gimmicked arrows will be much more effective. And Death arrow is a huge joke of an ability. "Oh! at 17th level I get a once a day DC 20 Static Fort save killing shot! What do you mean the Wizard can throw Wish?!?!?"

Unless they did something truly uber to the Enchant Arrow ability, I just quit playing a LOT of my PC's.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
SeRiAlExPeRiMeNtS said:
Hi all,

I have only one question to the owners of the 3.5 MM out there, What was done about the demons? particulary abot the marilith..
Quick summary then. I WON'T ANSWER ANYMORE, I am leaving for a game :) ...:

HP: 216
Speed 40ft
AC 29
BA/Grapple: +16/+29
Full attack: Primary Longsword +25/+20/+15/+10 (2d6+9), secondary longswords +25 (2d6+4)
SR: 25
Saves: f+19 r+14 w+14
CR: 17
Continous true seeing
Spell like abilities at will: align weapon, blade barrier (DC 23), Magic weapon, project image, polymorph, see invis, telekinesis, greater teleport , unholy aura.

That is most of it.

proditor said:
Unless they changed Arcane Archer, the new ammunition rule makes the class all but worthless.

They cannot do the funky touch thing on magic arrows.

"Enchant Arrow: At 1st level, every nonmagical arrow an arcane archer nocks and lets fly becomes enchanted, gaining a +1 enhancement bonus. An archer’s magic arrows only function for her. For every two levels of arcane archer the character advances past 1st level in the prestige class, the magic arrows she creates gain +1 greater potency."

So why bother to become an AA? The other abilities do not make up for the loss of power here, One fighter with a GWM bow or even a flat out magic bow and some gimmicked arrows will be much more effective. And Death arrow is a huge joke of an ability. "Oh! at 17th level I get a once a day DC 20 Static Fort save killing shot! What do you mean the Wizard can throw Wish?!?!?"

Unless they did something truly uber to the Enchant Arrow ability, I just quit playing a LOT of my PC's.

Here's how I see it, and this is how Andy Collins explained it over at his board.
The Enchant Arrow is still the same, giving that +x to arrows every 2 levels. Since bow +x doesn't stack with arrow +x, if you go AA, you can enchant your bow with more magic abilities, and not even have to CARE about increasing the +x on the bow, since the arrows are just increasing on thier own. Not AS effective, but I don't see it as a horrible thing.
:cool:

Thanks for the scoops. More:

w. Hide: The Hide skill now requires cover or concealment to attempt a Hide check. A torch now provides 20 feet of bright light, and another 20 feet of shadowy light, which gives a creature concealment. A creature in an area of bright light can only hide if it has cover. Additionally, a creature can't hide within the visibility range of a creature with darkvision unless it has cover. Invisible creatures get +20 on their Hide check, +40 when immobile.

There are now only two types of concealment, normal (20% miss chance) and total (50% miss chance).

Adamantine weapons don't provide an enhancement bonus, they now ignore hardness of less than 20.

Last edited:

Shaele

First Post
Storm Raven said:

My question is this: was there anyone out there (other than the members of the revision team) who thought that the 3.0 version of sleep was some sort of game balance problem?

I see it as another move to reduce the effectiveness of Empower and Maximize, or at least pigeon-hole them as feats that you only use with evocation spells. I also see it as yet-another beating on any sorcerer that wants to use metamagic feats to extend the usefulness of spells over a career.

I'm not suggesting that the designers "had it in" for sorcerers, or that anyone was "nerfed"... but I do think that they make an across-the-board effort to reduce the flexibility of spells and metamagic feats.

proditor

First Post
"Here's how I see it, and this is how Andy Collins explained it over at his board.
The Enchant Arrow is still the same, giving that +x to arrows every 2 levels. Since bow +x doesn't stack with arrow +x, if you go AA, you can enchant your bow with more magic abilities, and not even have to CARE about increasing the +x on the bow, since the arrows are just increasing on thier own. Not AS effective, but I don't see it as a horrible thing."

While I can see that to a point, there is the other side of the coin. The fighter (non-AA) gets his bow made +5 and gets +5 enchancements on it. Then he gets a set of 50 +1/+9 enhancement arrows. Expensive? Heck yeah. But again, the AA is hitting the skids. He gets a net total +9 in enhancements, whereas a fighter can get +14. Maybe it's just me, but if these guys are the masters of blending Arcane and Archery, they should be better at that than joe fighter who has some feats and money.

Hardhead

Explorer
While I can see that to a point, there is the other side of the coin. The fighter (non-AA) gets his bow made +5 and gets +5 enchancements on it. Then he gets a set of 50 +1/+9 enhancement arrows. Expensive? Heck yeah. But again, the AA is hitting the skids. He gets a net total +9 in enhancements, whereas a fighter can get +14. Maybe it's just me, but if these guys are the masters of blending Arcane and Archery, they should be better at that than joe fighter who has some feats and money.

+1/+9? What do you mean?

Regarldess, no one can stack bonuses anymore. If a Fighter has a +5 bow and +5 arrows, he gets a total of a +5 enhancement bonus. He's not in any better shape than the AA (and, in fact, the AA is getting lots of free enhanced arrows, so he has more money to put better bonuses on his bow).

Hardhead said:
*snip*
He's not in any better shape than the AA (and, in fact, the AA is getting lots of free enhanced arrows, so he has more money to put better bonuses on his bow).

Exactly. While it seems bad at first glance, its nice and cost effective for the AA. Lots of free enchanted arrows can't be a bad thing. :)

Shard O'Glase

First Post
coyote6 said:

Wow, that's less than the average of 2d4.

By the next revision, sleep should be completely useless! ;)

with a 1 round cast time it already is completely useless. Nothing says shoot me more than chanting and muttering for a full round. And with the ultra lame d4 hp this is the hello there kill me please spell. The only time you cast it is when you failed your master, and without proficiency in the sword you thought this would be less painful than seppuku.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases