D&D 3rd Edition / 3.5 Compiled 3.5 Revisions - Page 23

Re: Small weapon sizes mean...which club?

Originally posted by SpeedDemonic
    Just when you thought it was safe to go back to playing a gnome...
    nerfnerfnerfnerfnerfnerfnerfnerf!
    I tend to sympathize with your position (there's a dagger-wielding halfling in my game, and he will not benefit from this change), but do note that there is a variant rule in the DMG that covers "equivalent weapons". Gamingreport's page images include that particular page, IIRC, so you can go there & check it out.

Heck, if enough people use those rules, the "variant" will might become the "standard" next edition.

(As for the Arcane Archer -- perhaps we should see if the class has changed?)

I'd love to see the AA abilities.

We can argue back and forth about which is better, fighter or AA, and then remember that a new ranger will probably beat both of them silly at high level, but I'd rather see if they changed the class.

Originally posted by Ankh-Morpork Guard

OA uses the same thing with some abilities costing flat gold amounts and others as +x enchantments. I see this as a way to increase the cost of certain enchantments that had the flat +x and were probably worth more. Hmm...looks like I'll see more +5 weapons in my games now.
    Yes. Oriental Adventures introduced the mechanic and the rationale under it.

If the power is combat and weapon related then has a plus equivalence.

If the power is bestowed on the person (like Fly for example) then it's just like having an ordinary magic item, and it just costs money.

I don't know how you should calculate the making cost thogh, because it's basically a magic item that doesn't use a body slot but has to be held in hand.

I think the DMG will give guidelines.

Olgar, a suggestion:
    When you are finished with Andy Collins' last answers, why don't you start a new thread, perhaps called "Compiled 3.5 Revisions (complete)" or somesuch.

This thread contains *way too much* off-topic stuff...

Otherwise your compilation is a real life-saver :-) Thanks!

I've added everything new I could find from Andy Collins' answers; he's said that he's done posting information since the books are in reviewers and others' hands now.

So barring what scoopers with the books have to offer, this thread is essentially complete from a WOTC standpoint.

Maybe one of the mods can prune the thread -- I know a lot of other people/boards have linked to this one directly.

Unfortunately the compiled Word document is just a little too big to attach here; maybe later today I'll try to cut it down a bit so that it can fit.

Edit: More from our Dutch friends:

ll. Acrobatic: +2 Jump & Tumble

mm. Athletic: +2 Climb & Swim

nn. Deceitful: +2 Disguise & Forgery

Mithral and steel don't bypass hardness while adamantine does.

yy. Other spell changes:

Invisibility: Duration has changed from 10 minutes/level to 1 minute per level
    Temporal Stasis: 9th -> 8th level
    Simulacrum: limited to 2ce your levels or hit dice. And the gp cost is 100 gp powdered ruby per HD, XP cost: 100 XP per HD, with a minimum of 1000 XP
    Ice storm: Level:4 Duration: 1 full round, -4 penalty check to listening in the area of effect, all land movement is halved for the entire duration. At the end the hail disappears, leaving no after effects except the damage dealt.
    Last edited by Olgar Shiverstone; Friday, 4th July, 2003 at 02:49 PM.
    "The Soul of D&D? It's rolling a natural 20 when you're down to 3 hit points and the cleric's on the floor and you're staring that sunnavabitch bugbear right in his bloodshot eye and holding the line just long enough to let the wizard unleash a fireball at the guards who are on their way, because they're all that stands between you, the Foozle and Glory." - WizarDru

re

Mithral and steel don't bypass hardness while adamantine does.
    I really hate changes that lack a good flavor reason. The adamantine ignoring up to 20 points of hardness is going to be changed if there is not an extremely good flavor reason. Game Designers should not fall into the "Its magic, I don't have to explain it" reason for magical properties.

Have you noted under the "Combat" section that slings now allow you to add your Strength bonus to damage?
    Mikael Borjesson, Sweden
    The Titan of Titan Games
    Keeper of the swedish D&D translations
    DDI Subscription: Expired

Re: re

Originally posted by Celtavian

I really hate changes that lack a good flavor reason. The adamantine ignoring up to 20 points of hardness is going to be changed if there is not an extremely good flavor reason. Game Designers should not fall into the "Its magic, I don't have to explain it" reason for magical properties.
    It might ahve to do with the golems having Damage reduction adamantine.

The flavor text in the DMG refers to it as "Ultrahard". They also don't reduce hardness by 20 as was mentioned a bit up, but as you said ignores hardness less than 20, ie. adamantine doesn't ignore itself, or +5 Mithral.

I can see the rationale in a way, but the rules aren't consistent. They'll do IMC however.
    "The best advice I ever got was from an elephant trainer in the jungle outside Bangalore. I was doing a hike through the jungle as a tourist. I saw these large elephants tethered to a small stake. I asked him, 'How can you keep such a large elephant tied to such a small stake?' He said, 'When the elephants are small, they try to pull out the stake, and they fail. When they grow large, they never try to pull out the stake again.' That parable reminds me that we have to go for what we think we're fully capable of, not limit ourselves by what we've been in the past." -Vivek Paul

And with that I think I'm done.

The full books will be out soon, and there are enough folks with their hands on them that any further compilation will just be reproducing what will soon be available in the books themselevs -- I suspect that the majority of what is left are specific changes to individual spells or monsters, which aren't worth my further time to reproduce.

For those who'd like it, I'm attaching the full hyperlinked MS Word document (minus the FAQ part). If someone wants to convert it to a *.pdf, feel free.

It's been fun. I look foward to doing this again when 4.0 comes out.

Edit: I just had do go and do another update, so I've attached the new file here (as well as on page 7 of the thread). This version includes the FAQ, and a lot of new spell/magic item changes, thanks to our Dutch friends (Cegorach, Breikki, Tharizdun, Phillip)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Olgar Shiverstone; Sunday, 6th July, 2003 at 05:28 PM.
    "The Soul of D&D? It's rolling a natural 20 when you're down to 3 hit points and the cleric's on the floor and you're staring that sunnavabitch bugbear right in his bloodshot eye and holding the line just long enough to let the wizard unleash a fireball at the guards who are on their way, because they're all that stands between you, the Foozle and Glory." - WizarDru

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
    Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews
    Blog Entries

Ignore Plane Sailing
    Well done, Olgar.

You've been like "Eric Noah in a thread", and it reminded me of those heady pre-3e days.

Cheers!
    Plane Sailing
    (Enworld Admin)
    If you need to email me click here

I'd like things to go back and forth from "ARGH!" to "WOOO!" more frequently. - Kamikaze Midget

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 23 of 32 FirstFirst ... 1314151617181920212223242526272829303132 LastLast