Compiled 3.5 Revisions

Lela

First Post
Steverooo said:
Hrrrm! I wonder if... Nah! I bet the poor Ranger, with favored enemy (something that falls under Knowledge (Arcana), like Dragons) doesn't get a bonus, either! :p

"Yeah, I'm trained to fight Dragons, even get +10 on every hit, but I caint never tell what they breathe!"

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Jens said:
Edit: It would be nice if someone with the book would comment on this :)
Not sure if someone has responded yet. I have the 3.5 PH and on page 118 under the description of Lance there is a special caveat: "While mounted, you can wield a lance with one hand."

So there you go! ;)

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
Knowledge skills writeup

Here is the writeup of the knowledge skill section from my 3.5E PH. Lots of tasty bits... Their use is much more clearly defined now and there are some nifty synergy bonuses.
KNOWLEDGE (INT; TRAINED ONLY)
Like the Craft and Profession skills, Knowledge actually encompasses a number of unrelated skills. Knowledge represents a study of some body of lore, possibly an academic or even scientific discipline. Below are listed typical fields of study. With your DM's approval, you can invent new areas of knowledge.
* Arcana (ancient mysteries, magic traditions, arcane symbols, cryptic phrases, constructs, dragons, magical beasts)
* Architecture and engineering (buildings, aqueducts, bridges, fortifications)
* Dungeoneering (abberations, caverns, oozes, spelunking)
* Geography (lands, terrain, climate, people)
* History (royalty, wars, colonies, migrations, founding of cities)
* Local (legends, personalities, inhabitants, laws, customs, traditions, humanoids)
* Nature (animals, fey, giants, monstrous humanoids, plants, seasons and cycles, weather, vermin)
* Nobility and royalty (lineages, heraldry, family trees, mottoes, personalities)
* Religion (gods and goddesses, mythic history, ecclesiastic tradition, holy symbols, undead)
* The planes (the Inner Plans, the Outer Planes, the Astral Plane, the Ethereal Plane, outsiders, elementals, magic related to the planes)
Check: Answering a question in your field of study has a DC of 10 (for really easy questions), 15 (for basic questions), or 20 to 30 (for really tough questions).
In many cases, you can use this skill to identify monsters and their special powers or vulnerabilities. In general, the DC of such a check equals 10 + the monster's HD. A successful check allows you to remember a bit of useful information about that monster. For every 5 points by which your check result exceeds the DC, the DM can give another piece of useful information.
Action: Usually none. In most cases, making a Knowledge check doesn't take an action-you simply know the answer yor you don't.
Try Again: No. The check represents what you know, and thinking about a topic a second time doesn't let you know something that you never learned in the first place.
Synergy: If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (arcana), you get a +2 bonus on Spellcraft checks.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (architecture and engineering), you get a +2 bonus on Search checks made to find secret doors or hidden compartments.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (geography), you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks made to keep from getting lost or to avoid natural hazards.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (history), you get a +2 bonus on bardic knowledge checks.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (local), you get a +2 bonus on Gather Information checks.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (nature), you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks made in aboveground natural environments (aquatic, desert, forest, hill, marsh, mountains, or plains).
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (nobility and royalty) you get a +2 bonus on Diplomacy checks.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (religion), you get a +2 bonus on turning checks against the undead (see page 159).
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (the planes), you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks made while on other planes.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Knowledge (dungeoneering), you get a +2 bonus on Survival checks made while underground.
If you have 5 or more ranks in Survival you get a +2 bonus on Knowledge (nature) checks.
Untrained: An untrained Knowledge check is simply an Intelligence check. Without actual training, you know only common knowledge (DC 10 or lower).
There's also a sidebar below about player knowledge vs. character knowledge, and how the usage of both in the game can differ from campaign to campaign.

Mathron

First Post
Renaissance Man said:

... and yet...

For the sake of internal consistency, wouldn't you think WotC would want to inlcude at least one epic weapon in the DMG? Am I the only one who finds this odd?

As I understand it, any weapon over 200k is Epic.
Note that there are now abilities for armor and weapons that, rather than being purchased as enhancements, are simply flat additions to cost (an example would be the various elemental resistances.)
Hence, you could presume toss some similar power-ups onto a +9 or +10 equivalent weapon, and thus be an epic weapon.
Presumably.
I haven't actually gotten the chance to look through the books, but am simply going off of the various explanations given in regards to the books. Apologies if I am way off base.

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Re: Knowledge skills writeup

Cordo said:
Here is the writeup of the knowledge skill section from my 3.5E PH. Lots of tasty bits... Their use is much more clearly defined now and there are some nifty synergy bonuses.

I'll bite, mostly because I asked in another thread and was rebuffed ... where are there new synergy bonuses? This list was tantalyzing ...

Liminal Syzygy

Community Supporter
At the end of my writeup they are listed... +2 to turn undead checks for K (Religion), +2 to bardic knowledge for knowledge history, etc. etc.

Urbannen

First Post
Re the Knowledge skill revision:

Wow: Hallelujah anyone?

That is how they should have been done in the first place. The synergy bonuses are appropriate. They mean that you might actually get real use out of your knowledge skills.

I have already used Knowledge (geography) to give a synergy +2 to Wilderness Lore to avoiding getting lost - and now it's official!
Also already use the knowledge skills in a similar way to identify creatures.

IMO, this is Knowledge skills done right. :D Yee hah!

Lord Rasputin

Explorer
Cordo said:
At the end of my writeup they are listed... +2 to turn undead checks for K (Religion), +2 to bardic knowledge for knowledge history, etc. etc.

I should have made that clearer: for skills OTHER than Knowledge.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases