Compiled 3.5 Revisions

Added new tidbit about DR -- only three type of materials that matter:

· Silver: Hurts werewolves and weaker devils
· Cold iron: Hurts fey (and some feylike creatures, such as eladrin) and weaker demons.
· Adamantine: hurts golems and stoneskinned PCs

Along with the enhancements we know about of course (magic, lawful/chaotic, holy/unholy, epic).

Great link, thanks. Lots of explanation as to the "why" of the changes there.

Here are the new bits:

The arcane trickster now grants +1 spellcasting level at each class level, which is crucial since the character has given up at least 3 levels in his spellcasting class to qualify (2d6 sneak attack required).

Instead of getting bigger, the dragon disciple gains blindsense.

p. Decipher Script is now a (non-exclusive) class skill for bards, rogues, and wizards.

q. Making an Escape Artist check to escape a pin or grapple requires a standard action. If you've been pinned by a big monster with multiple attacks, you may well be in big trouble (though your buddies have a couple more options for helping you escape).

gg. You cannot apply multiple iterations of the same metamagic feat to a spell. You may, however, apply multiple metamagic feats to a spell. The difference between metamagic taking "a full-round action" and some spells requiring "one round of casting time" has been clarified.

j. The "spear" family now includes the shortspear (a one-handed simple weapon to be used with a shield or off-hand weapon; previously called the "halfspear"), the plain-old spear (a two-handed simple weapon; previously called the "shortspear"), and the longspear (a two-handed simple weapon with reach; previously called the "longspear"). Shortspear 1d6/x3, Spear 1d8/x3, Longspear 1d8/x3 (Reach)

g. The grappling rules have been set up to be a more step-by-step procedure, walking you through the process of starting a grapple. WOTC also added a few cool actions that you can take while grappling (such as move--bringing the other grapplers along--and use opponent's weapon).

ee. Alter self has undergone significant changes. It's now more like a lesser form of polymorph (self only). The gist is that you take the form of a humanoid (or other creature of your same type) within one size category of yours, and of a maximum HD equal to yours. You retain most of your own qualities, but gain the "physical qualities" of the new form, including size, movement, natural armor, natural weapons, racial bonuses, and any "gross physical qualities (wings, extra arms, etc.), though extra arms don't let you make more attacks than normal. You don't gain any extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like abilities of the form.

ff. Change to cleric’s Animal domain: The granted power is now speak with animals 1/day and Knowledge (nature) as a class skill.

m. The MM has the highest quantity of new art.

n. High CR monsters in the MM: the balor, pit fiend, and tarrasque are all CR 20, the titan is CR 21, and the solar is CR 23.

f. A vorpal weapon only threatens "vorpality" on a natural 20 (confirmed by a second successful attack roll), rather than on the full crit range of the weapon.

Apok

First Post
Olgar Shiverstone said:

The arcane trickster now grants +1 spellcasting level at each class level, which is crucial since the character has given up at least 3 levels in his spellcasting class to qualify (2d6 sneak attack required).

I thought Arcane Tricksers already got +1 Spellcaster Level at each class level? Was this errata'd?

Shard O'Glase

First Post
yes he gets it now, and the people who complain about it are well aware of the 3 caster level loss in the rpe-reqs. Some think its still whack unbalanced, others don't. I'm on the fence leaning toward balanced.

I do think it could get a few abilities trimmed and hopefully 3.5 does so, and this will bring it more in line with what most people see as balanced.

JoeBlank

Explorer
Olgar Shiverstone said:

ee. Alter self has undergone significant changes. It's now more like a lesser form of polymorph (self only). The gist is that you take the form of a humanoid (or other creature of your same type) within one size category of yours, and of a maximum HD equal to yours. You retain most of your own qualities, but gain the "physical qualities" of the new form, including size, movement, natural armor, natural weapons, racial bonuses, and any "gross physical qualities (wings, extra arms, etc.), though extra arms don't let you make more attacks than normal. You don't gain any extraordinary, supernatural, or spell-like abilities of the form.

While very excited to have this spell clarified, I wonder what it means for my sorcerer who took Alter Self for the multiple modes of movement it could provide, as well as the water-breathing. Are there any humanoids with flight?

JoeBlank said:

While very excited to have this spell clarified, I wonder what it means for my sorcerer who took Alter Self for the multiple modes of movement it could provide, as well as the water-breathing. Are there any humanoids with flight?

Not in the core rules. Avariel & Aarakocra, in FR (perhaps Kir-lanan; can't find them at the moment).

Added:

gg. Clerics may spontaneously cast mass cure spells.

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Where does one find Avariel & Aarakocra?

So since I play my little sorcerer in a FR campaign, I presume that they will be acceptable forms. But core rules sorcerers will be screwed out of one of the primary reasons for taking Alter Self.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases