Compiled 3.5 Revisions

Zaruthustran said:

The description specifically says that you don't get extraordinary qualities, and Darkvision is an extraordinary quality in 3.0. But it also says you get racial bonuses, and Darkvision is a racial bonus for Dwarves.

IIRC, Darkvision isn't techically a racial bonus, an extraordinary trait (see MM entry for dwarves). You wouldn't get the +2 saves versus magic or +4 dodge bonus vs. giants with Alter Self, so why Darkvision (all are listed in the racial traits description)?

I wouldn't allow it, anyway, not without better clarification.

Kesh

First Post
The change in alter self appears to only allow 'racial bonuses' and any additional limbs. Any (Ex) abilities, like Darkvision, don't carry over. Still, it has plenty of uses.

"Great, those orcs are guarding the prisoners. Well, I'll cast alter self and try to bluff my way in so I can untie them & sneak out the back. Good thing I can speak orc..."

or...

"Looks like a tough crowd in there. Let me alter self into a gnoll and pretend to be your 'pet'. That should impress them..."

and...

"Gah, we'll never find them in this swamp at this rate. Let me alter self into a minotaur..." (Minotaurs recieve a +4 species bonus to Search, Spot & Listen checks. Too bad they're 6HD... but, add the Scent feat from Masters of the Wild and you can sniff out your target!)

plus...

"I've gotta hide or those drow will kill me! Can't see where I am in these caves... better alter self into a troglodyte!" (Trogs recieve a +4 bonus to Hide checks, or a +8 in rocky or subterranean environments.)

So, the bluffing, altering sorcerer has some potential. :D And at higher levels, there's the polymorph spells and various other transmutations for fun. The only drawback is that alter self is a 2nd level spell, meaning you don't get it until Sorcerer 4. So, your first three levels will be for 'enhancement' spells like charm person, change self and the staple spells (mage armor, attack spells, etc.).

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
Just noticed on the wizards board, a snippet from Andy -
Originally posted by exploding_brain
Does the favored enemy bonus to damage still not apply to undead, constructs, oozes, etc?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The damage bonus will apply normally to all creature types. (It's no longer a "precision-type" bonus.)

New spell added:

Moment of Prescience
Divination
Luck 8, Sor/Wiz 8
Personal; Duration 1 hr/lvl or until discharged

Once during the spell's duration, you can gain an insight bonus equal to caster level (max +25) on any single attack roll, opposed ability or skill check, or saving throw. Alternatively, you can apply the insight bonus to your AC against a single attack. You can activate the spell at any time, even on another character's turn (it doesn't take an action). Once used, the spell ends.

You can't have more than one moment of prescience active on you at the same time.

Apok

First Post
coyote6 said:
There still ought to be ways (short of magic) to sneak up on someone with Blindsight. It ought to be difficult, but it ought to be possible, without resorting to spells, magic items, or special abilities (class-, template-, or feat-derived).

The only thing I can think of is a creature that is naturally incorporeal or ethereal. Ghosts, Wraiths, Spectres, etc.

Other than that, you could just turn it into an Epic Hide check with a super-high DC.

Apok

First Post
Plane Sailing said:
Just noticed on the wizards board, a snippet from Andy -

That rocks. Now, if they just dropped the alignment restrictions for Rangers with their own race as a Favored Enemy...

New updates coming in:

h. New size rules and mounted combat: "For simplicity, assume that you share your mount's space during combat."

r. Monsters with an elemental subtype (eg, fire) suffer +50% damage from the opposing subtype (eg, cold).

g. Weapon of speed enhancement: “Grants one extra attack at full BAB when making a full attack. Not cumulative with similar effects.”

Last edited:

diaglo

Adventurer
r. does that apply to their attacks as well. ala fire shield or cold shield or etc...

i mean if a fire creature attacks a cold creature and does damage to the cold creature now at 50% greater. does the fire creature also get hurt by his own attack?

I suspect (but cannot confirm) that hasn't changed (fire creature *1.5 damage from cold shield, for example).

More updates:

- Monk speed is now expressed as a bonus to speed, rather than a new speed. Thus, all races will increase their speed by the same amount.

- Eldritch Knight requires 3rd level arcane spells and martial weapon proficiency to enter; gains +1/level BAB, d6 HD, 9/10 +1 spellcasting levels, some sort of casting in armor.

Last edited:

coyote6

Adventurer
Olgar Shiverstone said:
New updates coming in:

h. New size rules and mounted combat: "For simplicity, assume that you share your mount's space during combat."

r. Monsters with an elemental subtype (eg, fire) suffer +50% damage from the opposing subtype (eg, cold).

h. is good, and the only sensible way to it, IMO.

r. -- I wonder if they specify or clarify how that works with saves for half and D&D's multiplication rule, or if they're saving that for Sage Advice. Specifically, if you take +50% from cold, and make your save for half against a cone of cold, do you take 75% or 100% of normal damage?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases