D&D 5E The Warrior

How can your warrior handle fighting a T-Rex?
Could your warrior go to a formal event without embarrassing him/her self?
What does your warrior offer to a guy in a 1 vs 5 fight?

Quickleaf

Legend
How can your warrior handle fighting a T-Rex?

Using Spear Specialization/Mastery to set a spear vs. charge?
Or... dig a pit, fill with flammable oil, and fire fiery arrows at a distance with longbow?

[SECTION]Spear Specialization (passive)
When wielding a spear, you can take the Ready action to set the spear to receive a charge. Against a creature moving at least 20 feet toward you, your Readied attack deals double damage.[/SECTION]

Could your warrior go to a formal event without embarrassing him/her self?

Yes. A Cavalier (subclass), for example, has Heraldic Renown... several other subclasses have equivalent social features...

[SECTION]Heraldic Renown. At 3rd level, while you adhere to the code of chivalry and present your personal coat of arms, your renown in a faction of choice is treated as being 5 points higher, and your Charisma checks to convince others of your honesty and word of honor have advantage. In addition, noble and royal houses that are not enemies of your faction will provide you with free lodging and stabling.[/SECTION]

What does your warrior offer to a guy in a 1 vs 5 fight?

1. The ability to Parry as a reaction, sort of at-will.
2. The option to, at 2nd level, choose the Against the Horde option for their Warrior's Multiattack feature (instead of Action Surge or Stalwart Defender).

[SECTION]Against the Horde
Starting at 2nd level, you can sacrifice one of your attacks on your turn to make a number of additional attacks equal to your proficiency bonus against only CR 1/2 or less creatures (e.g. hobgoblins). Each of these attacks must be made against a different opponent. You may only sacrifice one attack to use Against the Horde on your turn.
Starting at 14th level, you can use Against the Horde versus creatures of CR 2 or less (e.g. ogres).[/SECTION]

Or... dig a pit, fill with flammable oil, and fire fiery arrows at a distance with longbow?

But anyone can do that :p And making a trap seems more of a Rouge/Ranger thing anyway. Though I do admit fighting T-Rexes isn't something we don't think enough about in general. Then again, I don't think we think about what high level fighting looks like. A T-Rex is just a CR 8. It wouldn't be unfair to throw 4+ T-Rexes at a level 15 party. It's something to consider at the very least.

For how to handle specific maneuvers. Instead of making a list of powers/abilities, why not just make a point buy system for players and DMs to create their own powers? You can use page 42 of the 4E DMG as a starting point. Mutants and Masterminds and GURPS could also be looked into. Or you could give the warrior stunt dice/tokens/resources that empower improvised actions. If you did that, you should include player and DM guides on how to negotiate unique actions/stunts.

Quickleaf

Legend
For how to handle specific maneuvers. Instead of making a list of powers/abilities, why not just make a point buy system for players and DMs to create their own powers? You can use page 42 of the 4E DMG as a starting point. Mutants and Masterminds and GURPS could also be looked into. Or you could give the warrior stunt dice/tokens/resources that empower improvised actions. If you did that, you should include player and DM guides on how to negotiate unique actions/stunts.

It's a good question. My approach is much more focused on design elegance and smoothness of play at the table. It's intended to be swapped out for the 5e fighter for groups who feel that the fighter's design leaves something wanting. So, for my purposes, a GURPS/M&M-esque point-buy power creation would be just as undesirable as a glut of 4e-style powers – because it's inelegant, slow, and likely requires more mental attention than most players want to devote when the action is running hot.

Now, as for "stunt dice" that empower improvised actions, that sounds a lot like the Superiority Dice of the Battle Master Fighter. That's already there as an option for players who like resource tracking for their fighters. There are plenty of fighter homebrews out there that expound on the Superiority Dice concept & make it a core class feature. I consider "stunt dice" part of the "OK enough" design behind the fighter because it drops the narrative ball. WHY can I only parry up to 4 times in a combat and have that mean something mechanically? There's no narrative reason.

When you get into limited-use abilities, you really press up against that narrative barrier. Spellcasting has "spell energy", but nowhere in the history of D&D (until 4e) was the fighter associated with limited-use abilities. By limited use I mean X/day or X/rest. HOWEVER, it is possible to design narratively meaningful limitations on abilities without resorting to X/day or X/rest – see my design of Parry for an example.

[SECTION]Parry. At 1st level, when you are hit with a melee attack, you can parry the blow using your Reaction so long as you are wielding a weapon or shield. In order to parry, make an attack roll. If your roll equals or exceeds the attacker’s roll, reduce the damage of the attack by an amount equal to 1d10 + your warrior level. If you take damage from an attack you only partially managed to parry, your guard is broken and you cannot use Parry again until using an action to catch your breath and reestablish your guard.[/SECTION]

There's also legacy reasons to include differentiation of abilities by weapon, which date back to the origins of the game. And it makes sense. The fighter is the one we strongly associate with weapon specialization. That's its DNA. I chose to reach into BD&D and 4e for inspiration because those were the editions where differentiation by weapon was most interesting (i.e. more than +# attack, +# damage for specialization).

I don't think it's anymore limiting to say "fighters who want to set a weapon against a charge need to fight with a spear" than it is to say "wizards who want to knock enemies backward need to prepare thunderwave." It's part of the D&D DNA. It's a way to differentiate characters.

Last edited:

Now, as for "stunt dice" that empower improvised actions, that sounds a lot like the Superiority Dice of the Battle Master Fighter. That's already there as an option for players who like resource tracking for their fighters. There are plenty of fighter homebrews out there that expound on the Superiority Dice concept & make it a core class feature. I consider "stunt dice" part of the "OK enough" design behind the fighter because it drops the narrative ball. WHY can I only parry up to 4 times in a combat and have that mean something mechanically? There's no narrative reason.
I find superiority dice a lot more narratively satisfying than 4E powers because they're liquid: you use the same pool for all your maneuvers. So when you run out, you can think of it as your fighter losing the energy or focus or wherewithal to do any of his or her fancy tricks. Like when boxers in late rounds just start pounding each other.

I get the objection. I didn't like the 4E power system on the fighter either. And if avoiding limited-use abilities gets some creative juices flowing, let them flow. But if I were you I wouldn't put an absolute taboo on them. Believe me: I'm saying this as somebody who is putting an absolute taboo on them in his monk revision (because it's actually a stealth update to incarnum magic), and it has resulted in some weird and clunky circumlocutions where it really would have been a hell of a lot cleaner just to say "once per short rest...". Don't just assume they don't make sense. Think about how they can make sense, and when they might be the best tool to get the narrative job done.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I find superiority dice a lot more narratively satisfying than 4E powers because they're liquid: you use the same pool for all your maneuvers.
Nod. OTOH, that means they lend themselves to 'spamming' the same best-maneuver (either gamist 'best'-by-the-numbers/marginally-imbalanced-in-your-favor or skilled-play best-in-this-situation/used-to-best-advantage) option, which rarely fits a narrative for a maneuver, something that is clever, takes an enemy by surprise, or otherwise isn't just something you do instant-replay over and over.

I get the objection. I didn't like the 4E power system on the fighter either. And if avoiding limited-use abilities gets some creative juices flowing, let them flow. But if I were you I wouldn't put an absolute taboo on them. Believe me: I'm saying this as somebody who is putting an absolute taboo on them in his monk revision (because it's actually a stealth update to incarnum magic), and it has resulted in some weird and clunky circumlocutions where it really would have been a hell of a lot cleaner just to say "once per short rest...". Don't just assume they don't make sense. Think about how they can make sense, and when they might be the best tool to get the narrative job done.
That sounds well-considered.

I don't much care for limited-use limitations, in any context (one reason 4e powers caught me by surprise: I'd always tried to think of ways to make D&D less genre-aberrant by removing Vancian mechanics, not by extending them to everyone!), but they're often a fair compromise between realism and gamism, to wring some degree of genre-fidelity out of an RPG-generated narrative. They prevent 'spamming' (which doesn't generally happen in genre), they give the player a resource to manage that doesn't require RL tactical acumen or other expertise (allowing him to play a character different from himself), and they also give the players a give-take way of interacting with the plot in a way similar to author force in an actual story (be it novel, movie or whatever).

The key is that they create a gameplay-/agency- critical resource that all players must have equal access too, or the game becomes imbalanced (and not just in the obvious numerical ways like DPR, but in 'story' ways, as well, the character that trundles along at a fractionally higher baseline brings little or no drama to the story, it might act as a foil or backstop, but the character that soars now and then is more likely the star of the show).

Quickleaf

Legend

Sure, there are places where "once per rest" or "once per day" can make sense. Second Wind is a fair example; intuitively - at a kinesthetic level - we can kinda grok that, yeah, I need to restore myself before I can catch my breath again. And cinematically we can definitely grok that you need to exert yourself in order to catch your Second Wind, and then you need to recuperate. "Once per rest" is a fair approximation.

But it's not the only one.

For example, Second Wind could recharge when the fighter PC is reduced to half or fewer hit points.

By comparison, the Rogue (who shares the same "with just my wits and my sword" thematic space as the fighter) was designed without any limited-use abilities. Rather, the limits were baked into the design of Cunning Action and Sneak Attack, for example. That's elegant. It feels roguish. And it differentiates how a rogue's awesome is limited differently from a wizard or cleric's awesome – which helps evoke a certain feel in the mind of the player.

"Once per rest" or "once per day" can be elegant – when there's a good narrative matchup (arguably Second Wind fits the bill) – but mostly with the fighter I find it comes across as a mechanic of convenience. It was the low hanging, easy to grab fruit. It was the two-foot toss. I can see a designer shrugging and having a mild smile "Well, it's good enough for government work."

I'm not saying two-foot tosses are bad. Far from it. Sometimes the easiest most convenient option really IS the best.

However, I don't think that's the case for the fighter's maneuvers, indomitability, or action surge.

Last edited:

Tony Vargas

Legend
"Once per rest" or "once per day" can be elegant – when there's a good narrative matchup (arguably Second Wind fits the bill) – but mostly with the fighter I find it comes across as a mechanic of convenience.
n/day has always been a mechanic of convenience. When EGG settled on Vancian, it wasn't to emulate the fiction of Jack Vance, it was to give magic-users a "relatively short spoken spell" they could cast practically, do something effective, without overwhelming everything else. (It didn't work, magic-users still dominated at higher levels, but that's what he was going for according to his own commentary in the 1e DMG.)

Vancian 'memorization' was dropped for preparation then un-explained spontaneous, now all casters are spontaneous and the memorization/preparation narrative explanation of slots-per-day is gone.

Remove ads