Traveller d20: What version is it closest to?

How much does the info from T20 overlap with GURPS Traveller? Or does it more closely match the original Traveller?

For instance, I'm desperately (well, semi-desperately) trying to get GURPS Traveller: Far Trader, but in the meantime, how closely does T20 overlap?

RPGRealms

First Post
T20 is much closer to Classic Traveller (which it is based on) than it is GURPS Traveller.

Mechanics wise, they are quite different. Setting wise, they are quite compatible.

Hope that helps!

RPGRealms

First Post
You can try posting a message here:

Duty Free Shop

It's one of the boards at the CotI site for buying/selling/trading Traveller stuff between fans. You might find someone willing to sell off their copy.

Assenpfeffer

First Post
Speaking as, like, you know... not the publisher, I think T20 is much closer to CT than is GURPS Traveller. It's closer to CT than is TNE. The peripheral systems (starship construction & combat, trade, star system generation... that kind of stuff,) are closer to CT than any other edition of Traveller, including MT. Character creation is substantially different, but it works in the tradition of Classic Traveller much more than GURPS does. It feels Travelleresque - more so than GT.

Combat, frankly, works better in T20 than in either CT or GT.

However, the GT books are worth owning. The Far Trader commerce system is way bloated for my tastes, unless I'm running a purely mercantile campaign - and even then they're incredibly difficult to use without spreadsheeting everything. Much the same applies to First In's star system generator, the most detailed (and realistic, to my eye,) I've seen in an RPG. But man, it's a lot of trouble to use, too.

The GURPS Traveller book has a lot of setting in it, though - and the T20 book has almost no setting. If you're running in the OTU (Oficial Traveller Universe,) you could hardly do better as an introductory product than the main GT book. The line as a whole is excellent, but of varying utility if you're not usi9ng GURPS. First In and Starports are especially useful for any system, Star Mercs less so.

My personal rule of thumb is "if it says 'Traveller' on it somewhere, buy it."

As of this morning, I now own all of the GURPS Traveller books (aside from the deck plans and heroes books; Alien Races 1 and 2 and Far Trader were all bought recently). Woo hoo!

Traveller is one of my favorite sci-fi settings. Not that I'd play it, but it's fun to read, especially the GURPS stuff. (One thing you can say about GURPS, they put in a lot of fluff.)

As for First In, there already is a spreadsheet created to help in starsystem creation, using the First In rules. You fill in the details of the dice rolls, and it computes the data for you. I got it straight from the sjgames.com website. (Luckily, someone had the link.)

Remove ads