Bridging the Gap to Draconic Incarnation

darkbard

Legend
Character concept exercise: A Rogue (DEX primary, CHA secondary) who MCs Sorcerer and powerswaps for Flame Spiral mid-heroic. Said Rogue begins play with Draconic as a bonus language from Background, fictionally decscribed to be an innate ability (the specific background is Waterdeep, but that's irrelevant as it's completely refluffed).

The campaign setting is Dark Sun. The conceit is that the character is born with a nascent sorcerous power that emerges over the course of play in more and more powerful manifestations. At heroic tier, this is represented by the Sorcerer MC/powerswap. At epic tier, the character will begin to channel the power of ancient dragons, a sort of alternate to the dragon ascendency of the Sorcerer-Kings of Athas.

My question: Is there a good Paragon Path to fill the gap? My initial thought was simply to refluff Demonskin Adept, reflavoring the various Abyss-related mechanics. This is likely the strongest mechanical choice for this character. But if I were to compromise somewhat on the power level, is there a Paragon Path I'm overlooking whose flavor fits the fiction better or whose mechanics can be refluffed to fit the fiction in a more satisfying, less forced fashion?

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Have you considered reflavoring a Dragonborn as visually human you could go with the dragon fear to make things more subtle early on if you like ... Scion of Arkhosia then becomes a paragon option.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
though(after looking closer at that) perhaps just upping the I am a natural sorceror component in
PMC would be better.

Did you say you had a theme? That can make the sorcery au natural also kick in early.

Although a Templar theme sort of has that Dragon personality thing going on in it.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I recommend the feat Sorcerous Vision in paragon
Also noticed a paragon path called Hoard Raider....

Perhaps even your theivishness is a reflex of your desire for a dragon hoard,

Last edited:

darkbard

Legend
Did you say you had a theme?

I didn't say, but, yes, the character has the Beguiler theme. Of course, refluffing a Dragonborn is an obvious option, but both mechanically (for the primary Rogue aspect) and fictionally, this PC is a halfling.

Hoard Raider, alas, is way, way too situational (both in general and in this game specifically): the setting is Dark Sun, so the only dragons are The Dragon, and, I guess, some of the Sorcerer-Kings.

Thanks for the ideas!

MwaO

Adventurer
Kapak Draconians are Dex/Cha Dragonborn who have limited flight. Initiate of the Dragon(Monk) has some interesting options.

Paragon Paths tend not to give out great options until 20th for the Daily in any case. You might want to consider Traveler's Harlequin as a possibility. The U12 is very interesting for a 'I transform into a Dragon as my default form, but I shape change back into my mortal self...' - and it lets you pick up Dragonsoul Heir's D20 or Initiate of the Dragon's D20. Or you can pick up 'Dragon Breath' with Blessed Psalmist's just absolutely bonkers crazy D20. "Hi, Close burst 10 enemies only dominate EoNT or Stunned(save ends), grant temp hp, and there's a miss effect. That does require then MC'ing into Bard and Divine class to make happen though.

darkbard

Legend
Kapak Draconians are Dex/Cha Dragonborn who have limited flight. Initiate of the Dragon(Monk) has some interesting options.

Paragon Paths tend not to give out great options until 20th for the Daily in any case. You might want to consider Traveler's Harlequin as a possibility. The U12 is very interesting for a 'I transform into a Dragon as my default form, but I shape change back into my mortal self...' - and it lets you pick up Dragonsoul Heir's D20 or Initiate of the Dragon's D20. Or you can pick up 'Dragon Breath' with Blessed Psalmist's just absolutely bonkers crazy D20. "Hi, Close burst 10 enemies only dominate EoNT or Stunned(save ends), grant temp hp, and there's a miss effect. That does require then MC'ing into Bard and Divine class to make happen though.

These are some great ideas. There's no way to pick up the Dragon Magic class feature to qualify for Dragonsoul Heir, though, right?

I had never looked at Blessed Psalmist before. Crazy good! No, let me rephrase that: not even your "just absolutely bonkers crazy" does it justice. I can't rephrase, for there are no words....

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Hoard Raider, alas, is way, way too situational (both in general and in this game specifically)

Flavor wise I was a bit wondering why a Dragon might be a rogue ... I was not actually real impressed with the PP (and you are right it doesnt fit setting) but the concept of it relating to Dragons hoarding gave me an AHAH....

My daughter has a character who is trying to free slaves in an Athas like world so in a sense the dragons and their real hoard is what she is after ;)

MwaO

Adventurer
These are some great ideas. There's no way to pick up the Dragon Magic class feature to qualify for Dragonsoul Heir, though, right?

Right. Yeah, that won't work.

I had never looked at Blessed Psalmist before. Crazy good! No, let me rephrase that: not even your "just absolutely bonkers crazy" does it justice. I can't rephrase, for there are no words....

Yeah, not sure what daily power is stronger than it in the entire game...

darkbard

Legend
Actually, maybe just going with the Sorcerer D19 Aspect of the Dragon for the Traveler's Harlequin F20 may not be so bad....

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases